LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

GL 1500 alternator 1990

hello,

My alternator is not providing output. There is no 12v input on the Exiciter wire BLK/LT GRN. Where does this wire go and I assume it it runs from the Ignition switch. I am on holiday and would like to avoid for now removing all the plastic.
Would it be OK to run a wire from the accessory terminal in fuse panel?

It's strange because a few months ago there the engine cut out and it was a problem with the kill-switch, a couple of tiny scres inside had loosened over 27 years. Tightening resolved the issue then.

Would appreciate help,

Rob in Holland -on vacation in Spain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
There may be some model differences, but if it is the same as 94+ models, Blk/Ltgrn wire is connected to the relay 6 (ignition cruise relay) through a white 2 pin connector (C43).

Blk/Ltgrn wire is the same wire going to the kill switch.

And C43 connector is behind left fairing inner cover, near left side of fuel tank.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Have you checked Fuse #11 and Relay #6 for proper function ?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
As the Guys said. The BLK/LT GRN wire does not go to the ignition switch. It goes to a relay. Is everything else working on the bike? Engine runs, etc?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchaussie View Post
hello,

My alternator is not providing output. There is no 12v input on the Exiciter wire BLK/LT GRN. Where does this wire go and I assume it it runs from the Ignition switch. I am on holiday and would like to avoid for now removing all the plastic.
Would it be OK to run a wire from the accessory terminal in fuse panel?

It's strange because a few months ago there the engine cut out and it was a problem with the kill-switch, a couple of tiny scres inside had loosened over 27 years. Tightening resolved the issue then.

Would appreciate help,

Rob in Holland -on vacation in Spain.
You could jump 12 volts to that wire. You could do it right from the battery but don't forget at night to disconnect. Switched hot jumper from ignition etc. might be better. That will get you home.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Alternator

Rob, There are differences in the wiring circuits for 1988 - 1992 compared to the 1993 - 2000 Gold Wing's.

On your 1990 Gold Wing,

Output from the 55-amp "Dog Bone" fuse goes through fuse # 2 then provides input to the # 8 ignition/cruise relay.

Output from the # 8 ignition/cruise relay is a black/light green wire.

If your engine starts, fuse # 2 and relay # 8 are both good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks for responses. Engine starts and runs after battery charge,its just that the alternator does not get excited. Will look into suggestions, but easy temorary fix might be to run wire from accessory terminal in fuse box to alternator BLK/LT GRG wire.

Thus it would be ""off"" when ignition is switched off. I am by no means an electric expert but my question is should the exciter wire be ""live"" once motorcycle is running or could damage occur?

This would get us home.

Regards,

Rob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for responses. Engine starts and runs after battery charge,its just that the alternator does not get excited. Will look into suggestions, but easy temorary fix might be to run wire from accessory terminal in fuse box to alternator BLK/LT GRG wire.

Thus it would be ""off"" when ignition is switched off. I am by no means an electric expert but my question is should the exciter wire be ""live"" once motorcycle is running or could damage occur?

This would get us home.

Regards,

Rob
That would be fine as long as you did not leave the key in the park or accessory position. If you use off and on only it will be just like it has always been. I see the accessory only has a 5 amp fuse. I think that will be big enough as the power to the field is taken from the alternator output when the alternator is spinning. .

Mike

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
That wire is hot as long as the ignition key is on.

It is especially necessary at the beginning as an exciter voltage. Once the alternator starts producing voltage, it can provide its own exciter voltage.

But, that Blk/Ltgrn input might still be necessary as a feedback input to the regulator to regulate the voltage, (needs confirmation).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 AM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Rob, To answer your question, that wire is normally "live" while the engine is running. It is live any time the ignition switch is ON and triggers the ignition/cruise relay (engine running or not). I have a Honda wiring schematic that shows the wiring circuit for your 1990.

Quote:
Hi there,

This would get us home.

Regards,

Rob

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page