Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to me 1982 GL1100 standard

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  big_sleezy 
#1 ·
Got a freakin sweet gl1100 from my pops as a gift. My old 1000 is going to be sold.

Anyway, it's question time. I have directional signals but not sure how they are wired as they are three wire. Any hints? They came with the bike and are aftermarket. I know that two wires go to either blue or orange and the green ground, but where does the third running light wire go?

#5 ·
Got it, thanks, wasn't reading the wiring diagram correctly. I was looking at the rear, you know, like an idiot.

I now have another question about the rear air suspension. It doesn't like to fill. Specifically, when air is added, the needle goes up and then sweeps down to zero. There are no leaks, and it rides ok, but I'd like to tweak it as I am a fat ass.

#7 ·
That's the thing, it's not leaking. It's something to do with the schrader valve in the fill tit. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I know it's not leaking because if I add air the bike rises. And stays that way.

#10 ·
Dave: the problem is I'll hook the air gauge up to fill the suspension, it'll add some air and show it on the needle, but as soon as I let go of the air fill lever, the gauge drops to zero.

Db: not even close. Mine is naked with absurdly long straight pipes.

#12 ·
Dave,

Sorry I am being so obscure. The gauge is just a standard air fill gauge, needle type, hooked to my shop compressor. I have tried multiple gauges. I'm going to pull the shrader valve this weekend and see if replacing it does the trick.

#13 ·
I have found that, since the volume of air in the rear suspension is so small, that even a wee bit of air loss during disconnect has a dramatic effect on final air pressure. I got myself an air pump specifically for BMX bicycle air suspensions. One that closes the Schrader valve before breaking the pressure seal during disconnect.

#14 ·
When i put air shocks on my sportster i would lose pressure when i disconnected the air pump. My advice to you is to not use a compressor to fill the shocks, you'll blow them. Then you'll have to rebuild..bad juju. Anyways, I ended up getting a no leak hand pump, so when you disconnect you lose minimal to no pressure. something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Shox-Shock-027-00-007/dp/B001F212OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.