LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
What's Up with Delo LE 400?

I stopped by my friendly neighborhood auto supply store to take advantage of their Delo LE 400 sale. On the shelf next to my favorite LE flavor was a new variant, XLE. Says its for extra mileage. Immediately the flashing red lights went off thinking that the XLE must have friction fighters in it and therefore not for wet clutches.

Sure 'nuf, the XLE had writing in the bottom semi-circle of the SAE circle. Glad I didn't take THAT home! I've always gone by the rule that, if there is anything in the bottom semi-circle, then that oil is not for wet clutch bikes.

So I grab a jug of LE. Curiosity got the best of me and I flipped it over to look at the SAE circle. WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT! The bottom half of the LE circle also has writing! Was it always there and I never noticed? Did Delo change their formulation?

As the crank case was already drained, I grabbed a jug of Rotella (blank lower semi-circle) and went home to finish the oil change AND to pick the collective mind of this site concerning...

What's Up With Delo LE 400?

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
This is an option, usually available at Wal-Mart for $3.99 a quart.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...motorcycle-oil

I used an oil with friction modifiers for 20 years and 250K miles. When the clutch started slipping it was because the rivets in the damper plate started failing. The soft plates were fine.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:48 AM

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Model: Standard - under restoration
I just went out and bought a 3 gallon case at Costco of Delo 400 SDE without even realizing it changed. Delo is now CK-4 compliant. It appears this is Diesel engine oil improvements and I don't think this has the friction inhibitors that gas engine oil doe. This is what the API website says about it:

API CK-4 and FA-4 Background
These new oil standards were developed to better protect new and older engines, improve engine oil performance, and help engine manufacturers meet 2017 government emissions standards. CK-4 and FA-4 improve upon existing standards by providing enhanced protection against oil oxidation and engine wear, particulate filter blocking, piston deposits, and degradation of low- and high-temperature properties. The new categories are the result of several years of collaboration between engine manufacturers, APIís Lubricants Group, the Truck & Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA), and the American Chemistry Council (ACC).

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Last jug of Delo I bought has CI-4+ in the lower half of the circle... Works fine in my 1800 - no detectable slippage...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page