LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1988
Make: Honda
Model: gl1500
New wing with some issues

Just pick up a '88 gl1500 with 140,000 miles on it, it's been sitting for 3 years but still started up. I'm in the process it tarring it down and taking care of some issues I have came across. I am thinking I need to rebuild the carbs, it seams to load up on a couple of cylinders, it clears up when I bring up the RPM's but if I let it ideal it fouls out after a few seconds, only when it's cold. It also has a real bad hesitation when in gear and really bad when starting from a dead stop and also only cold. So while the carbs are off going to go through the vacuum lines and for sure balance them when I'm finished. Have been running Seafoam through it and it's helped but still not running right. One strange thing is the on board air system, the pump works but no air getting to the shock when the P. check/inflate buttons but it will pump up a tube from the line in the saddle bag. If I push the outlet/inflate button the pump does not operate at all. I'm going to start at the switch and fuses and see what I come up with there. Can anyone think of anything else I should check? I have also replaced the timing belt and pulleys, torqued down the exhaust, replaced plugs, oil and filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Air and fuel filters?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
There was a service Bulletin for a drivability issue on the 1988 Gold Wing. It was not a recall, the service was only performed when owners returned and complained about the "off idle hesitation issues".

There was also a recall for the Bank Angle Sensor on the 1988 Gold Wing.

Replace the sub filter and cruise filter if they haven't been changed recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GL1500 Bank Angle Sensor Recall.jpg (114.1 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GL1500 Service Bulletin (1988 Gold Wing).pdf (2.83 MB, 9 views)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Do you have the extended "air hose" disconnected when trying to supply air to the shock..??

If so then...............

The # 5 air pump relay provides voltage to the outlet switch. (brown/yellow wire) Do you have power here....??

The outlet switch (when free) provides voltage to the increase/decrease switch. (black/yellow wire) Do you have power here....??

The increase switch provides voltage to the air pump motor. (light green/black wire) Do you have power here....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7design View Post
Just pick up a '88 gl1500 with 140,000 miles on it, it's been sitting for 3 years but still started up. I'm in the process it tarring it down and taking care of some issues I have came across. I am thinking I need to rebuild the carbs, it seams to load up on a couple of cylinders, it clears up when I bring up the RPM's but if I let it ideal it fouls out after a few seconds, only when it's cold. It also has a real bad hesitation when in gear and really bad when starting from a dead stop and also only cold. So while the carbs are off going to go through the vacuum lines and for sure balance them when I'm finished. Have been running Seafoam through it and it's helped but still not running right. One strange thing is the on board air system, the pump works but no air getting to the shock when the P. check/inflate buttons but it will pump up a tube from the line in the saddle bag. If I push the outlet/inflate button the pump does not operate at all. I'm going to start at the switch and fuses and see what I come up with there. Can anyone think of anything else I should check? I have also replaced the timing belt and pulleys, torqued down the exhaust, replaced plugs, oil and filter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Right know I'm concentrating on the running issues, I will get to the on board air once the machine is running properly.

I will look at the recall when I get the carbs out, this machine original came from California but I'm not going to hold that against it.

Thanks for the all the help
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM
seafoam guru

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Ca versions have a carbon canister to catch vented gas fumes while parked - that hose on the cap actually goes somewhere!
Fumes are returned to be burned upon engine start.
Does not hurt mpg or do anything weird to the bike.

Certified Slacker is suffering under the delusion of being an expert... We need more Voltage! IGOR- throw the 3rd switch!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not the 3rd switch Master!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM
seafoam guru

cj7 Do you have a copy of the owner manual? Once can be provided to you at no charge... by email
How to operate the compressor for different things, and hidden bits about the Wing are in the book

see threads on carbs- there is a mess of vac lines under the carbs, a 90 degree fitting that is suspect,
and beware the rubber heat mat under carb likes to tear on removal.
Have new one on hand- its an important piece
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have owners manual and a service/repair/maintenance manual that came with the bike, it even has the original tool kit and tire fill hose in the right bag.
I have been read through them in regards to the operation of the on board air (other things also) and it is not operating the way it tells me it should. The pump will only operate when you press p check and inflate, it will not come on when you push outlet and inflate. I hooked up the hose and attached a tube just to see what it would do and when pushing p check and inflate the pump inflated the tube, so I know the pump produces air at least. Even with the fill hose disconnected there is still no air getting to the shock, I'm assuming that one of the cylanoids it either faulty or bad connection. The P.O. was shocked it did not work so I'm hopping that it's dirty from sitting, like the nutural switch on the reverse lever was and thanks to one of your threads I was able to fix/clean it.
I'm waiting on parts to show up for the leaky cylinder head cover so I'm going to start in on the carbs, will see how that works out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Did you do the tests in post # 4....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7design View Post
Yes I have owners manual and a service/repair/maintenance manual that came with the bike, it even has the original tool kit and tire fill hose in the right bag.
I have been read through them in regards to the operation of the on board air (other things also) and it is not operating the way it tells me it should. The pump will only operate when you press p check and inflate, it will not come on when you push outlet and inflate. I hooked up the hose and attached a tube just to see what it would do and when pushing p check and inflate the pump inflated the tube, so I know the pump produces air at least. Even with the fill hose disconnected there is still no air getting to the shock, I'm assuming that one of the cylanoids it either faulty or bad connection. The P.O. was shocked it did not work so I'm hopping that it's dirty from sitting, like the nutural switch on the reverse lever was and thanks to one of your threads I was able to fix/clean it.
I'm waiting on parts to show up for the leaky cylinder head cover so I'm going to start in on the carbs, will see how that works out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM
seafoam guru

I pulled out the hose for mine, have to test it for leaks after being coiled for 20+ years and never used.
Better to have an air system and know it works, so YOU will never need it.
Carry a tire plug kit and you are able to help another rider, over 20 actually-lots of plugs in kit.
Makes you the hero on group ride, when you can have a bike back on the road in less than 5 minutes

Not unusual for air line to leak or the Right Rear shock seal to be blown
Must have the aux hose disconnected for shock system to work

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page