2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Goldwing 1500 SE
Model: SE
Hazard switch

I have a 93 1500 with a defective hazard switch. Can I still get a replacement? If not, can I configure another type of switch? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Hazard Switch

The Hazard switch is not available from Honda (or aftermarket). You would need to purchase the complete left handlebar switch assembly.

What specifically is the issue with your hazard switch? Maybe it could possibly be cleaned or repaired.
redwing52 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
That left "SE" switch housing is no longer available from Honda.
As DBohrer suggests, maybe all yours needs is a cleaning. That's very common with the Honda switches.
redwing52 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM

The left switch cluster is the same for 1990 - 1996. As Dennis said, not available.

The left switch cluster is the same for 1997 - 2000. Still available.

There is only one internal part "plate A ornament" and its screw that is different between the 1996 and 1997. Nothing electrical related....!

All the plug connections are the same.

I betcha the 1997 switch cluster will work on the 1996.

Honda frequently makes a minor change then changes part numbers.

Just my thoughts after checking/comparing all the part numbers between the two years.......!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM
seafoam guru

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
You should try cleaning the switch first, thats a really common problem.
Best to take the cover apart, then access dried up gunk clogging the switch springs- CRC or wd will do, qtips can help dig out loosened crud.

Operate switches numerous times till they work properly, then apply new dielectric grease- any parts store less than $5, replace covers and enjoy

Anyone reading this with a stuck On hazard switch spray wd or crc thru the small opening and operate switch 50 to 1000 times with spraying, until it finally unglues itself.
Often faster and easier on thumb to open the covers and perform some basic maintenance- probably not found in maintenance schedule, unless a small footnote about lube cables and switches as needed
Oh, you mean like... if I ride on Earth?

Certified Slacker is suffering under the delusion of being an expert... We need more Voltage! IGOR- throw the 3rd switch!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not the 3rd switch Master!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 SE
Garage
It's nice to have everything working properly nut do you ever use the hazard lights? I have owned 7 Gold Wings and have never used the hazard lights. Of course I push on and off all the switches just about every time I ride just to keep them working properly but never had to use the hazards.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
I have a 93 1500 with a defective hazard switch. Can I still get a replacement? If not, can I configure another type of switch? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 97 GL1500 and have the same issue. I assume its just dirty due to the fact that it feels gummy when i push it in. Like Joe stated, I never use mine either but would like to get it working just incase.
I thought i had read somewhere that you must have either the left or right turn siginal on to make the flashers work. Is that correct? Maybe i was just dreaming.

1977 GS 750
1983 CB 750
1988 GL 1500
1997 GL 1500A current ride
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
I have a 97 GL1500 and have the same issue. I assume its just dirty due to the fact that it feels gummy when i push it in. Like Joe stated, I never use mine either but would like to get it working just incase.
I thought i had read somewhere that you must have either the left or right turn siginal on to make the flashers work. Is that correct? Maybe i was just dreaming.
No, it is wrong.

Moreover, if you do that you will hear double clicks of the two flashers, and strangely flashing turn signal lights, which may cause some issues at the flasher relays, I think.

However, if you remove the hazard flasher relay, I think you can still have hazard flashing capability by pushing the hazard switch in and turning the left or right signals on, as you mentioned (needs confirmation).

Last edited by Erdeniz Umman; 05-17-2017 at 12:58 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Power Guy, The Hazard switch has two output power wires.

1. The orange output wire is spliced to the orange output wire from the turn signal switch.

2. The light blue output wire is spliced to the light blue output wire from the turn signal switch.

All the Hazard switch does is apply power to the orange and light blue wires at the same time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Power Guy, The Hazard switch has two output power wires.

1. The orange output wire is spliced to the orange output wire from the turn signal switch.

2. The light blue output wire is spliced to the light blue output wire from the turn signal switch.

All the Hazard switch does is apply power to the orange and light blue wires at the same time.

OK. Like i said i have never used the hazard flashers. But would like to get them functional.
Thanks for the feedback

1977 GS 750
1983 CB 750
1988 GL 1500
1997 GL 1500A current ride

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page