Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

opinions on GL1500

8K views 148 replies 21 participants last post by  MysticFour 
#1 ·
Got approval on a loan and ok from wife, now looking at bikes in to actually buy 1. Looking within 300 miles of me and am looking at this
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/6118847353.html
Gentleman turns 73 and says too heavy for him now so its gotta go. He said if I show up with 2000 and test ride it, it could be mine. Opinions? He is getting it out into sunlight with a nephews help to get better pics for me, says seat has 1 pip that he can think of, he took a ride to out of state on new tires and has ridden little since

#69 ·
I was looking at uhauls but no vehicle here with a hitch, for me to leave right after work it would take me to at least 8pm to get there running fast and midnight , most like 1 or 2 am to get home to be up for work again 3 to 4 hours later. Plus I would be to wired and excited to sleep

#75 ·
If you haven't ridden more than a half hour at a time & I assume you have never been on a 1500, Are you comfortable riding the bike through the I80-I94 mess of Gary, In & South side of Chicago?

#76 ·
Nope, not really and no never ridden a 1500.....yet. I am gonna try finding someone with a trailer I can borrow I think, I don't think I want my 1st ride on it on those roads. But I will figure this out, got a call into brother-in-law who is gonna see what he has going on tuesday or wednesday

#79 ·
I agree, you won't have any trouble riding a 1500 home...

if you don't like the I-ways, then choose one of the better 2 lanes and just enjoy a comfy ride home at 50 mph, stop at every mom and pop DQ you see...

enjoy yourself, and quit fretting the small taters.

#84 ·
Don't let the no plate be an issue. With a signed bill of sale, You something like three days to get it home. Just look at all the privately sold cars, They never have new plates. How could they?? Just talk to your insurance agent, You should have a grace period for putting insurance on it.

#88 ·
Yea,you finally succeeded,you will like the 1500, the fuel gauge might surprise you,it might fall real fast but run a long time close to empty,don't try to stretch the fuel usage until you find how far it will go,35-45 mpg would be a round figure for it.

#98 ·
It will if you keep the RPMs at or below 2800

3000 RPM gives 35 mpg at best

3200 RPM gives 32 or less

MPG is all in the tachometer and headwinds if any, and the height of the windscreen.

both of my 1500s, a 94 and a 98 had Tulsa Tall windscreens, and both of them averaged 33 mpg year end every year...... the only time they ever gave figures even close to 39 mpg were when the tach stayed around 2500 rpm.

#90 ·
It will but keep the rpm below 3000, above that it WONT.

#92 ·
When I bought my first GL1500 it was up near Charlotte, NC, over 500 miles away from my house. The guy had sent me a lot of pictures of the bike so I told him if it really looked as good as the pictures I would buy it. He was the original owner and it had just under 25k miles on it. My wife and I drove up to have a look at it and it really was in good condition. I bought the bike and we went to his bank and got the title signed over to me and I rode it home with my wife following me in the pickup. That was a good trip to get acquainted with the new to me bike.
The 1500s really are a comfortable bike to ride. Mine will easily get 40+ mpg on the secondary roads at the slower speeds. If you are out on the interstate running with the traffic you can expect it to be down around 35 or so. The higher speeds, say 70 and up, will really take a toll on the fuel mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.