LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1500A Aspencade
Question GL1500 Ignition Trigger Wheels

I moved from Michigan to Denver in 1981, bringing my little Honda CL-350 (my first bike) with me. In Colorado, the altitude affected the little bike severely, it was running super rich, so rich that even with it in neutral with wide-open throttle it wouldn't go past 7000 RPM (on a 10K - I think - red line). No power, just drowning in fuel. Similar situation with my '71 Impala when I first got here.

I took the carburetors apart on both and bought main jets that were 10% smaller in orifice. What a difference that made!

In addition to the carburetor adjustments somebody told me back then it is beneficial to advance ignition timing one degree from spec for every 1000 ft altitude, and I've been applying that 5 degree extra timing advance to every vehicle I've owned since I've been in Denver, with apparent improvement in fuel economy and performance.

My GL1100 is not possible to adjust the timing, but I've been reading about my new-2-me GL1500 and its ignition sys, and have found there's trigger wheels available in 4 or 6 degree from spec advance. I guess these were made primarily to correct issues with the '88 and '89 wings, but might be beneficial for "High Altitude" wings, too.

I'll be changing out the timing belts soon, and that would be the perfect time to put in a new trigger wheel. So this brings two questions:

1) Does anybody in high altitude have any experience/comment about the extra advance in a '90 to '00 GL1500?

2) When I get my nose into the belts, trigger wheel and stuff, how can you tell a factory trigger wheel from an aftermarket wheel if the PO had already put one in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Deleted...............!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 41 years winging it
Total waste of $. My 1500 purrs up and over Tioga Pass in Yosemite @ 9,943'.

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2017 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
My 1500 has been up both Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak in Colorado, both at over 14,000 feet. It ran perfectly going up both of them. I don't think you will see any improvement by installing the trigger wheel to advance timing.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
You might want to read this article by a guy who seems to be pretty much an expert on carburetors. The GL1500 has CV carbs. The 3rd paragraph spells it out. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/tex..._altitude.html

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1500A Aspencade
I've already had her down the "Peak-to-Peak" highway, and she ran perfectly fine. But as I stated in first post, other vehicles I've owned once they are "homed" in high altitude benefited from timing advance. The old '71 Impala with 400CID engine was struggling on the mountain drives above Denver (rich) but the main jet change fixed the rich, and the timing advance by 5 extra degrees further helped fuel economy and power when home altitude over 5000 ft.

As I stated, the GW 1500 runs good even driving the high mountain passes, but looking to see if the extra advance had made a difference on a daily basis for somebody that lives in this altitude.....

BTW, the old Chevy would ping a little when visiting family back in Michigan, a little too lean, and a little too advanced.....

Thanks for the responses!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page