LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
changing the belts GL1500

I've been through the tutorials on this site and goldwingdocs and there seems to be a difference between the two sites. So, for anyone who has done this, and there are a lot of you, when I change the belts, do I really need to drain the coolant? The tutorial on this site doesn't mention this at all and the other one has you drain the anti freeze and remove the hoses. This site's also doesn't mention removing the spark plugs but if I have to rotate the engine by hand, that of course has to be done. The other sites tutorial says rotate the engine counterclockwise, this one says clockwise.
You can see where my confusion comes from. So asking the experienced ones, do I need to drain the coolant? Also before I start this process, what other parts will I need that aren't covered in the tutorials, I don't want to wait for a week for a surprise part...

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98063 miles as of 05122017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other ride:
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400 (Maxi-Scoot)

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Deleted...........!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
You don't have to remove the radiator to get to the belts on the 15. All earlier models, the belts are behind the radiator.

That said, some have built tools to get the belt covers off without removing the radiator.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
The left front cover is long and takes some time to remove and reinstall because of the hoses there.
I didn't remove the hoses when changing the belts, however if you will change the coolant you may want to remove those radiator hoses.

I removed the spark plugs to turn the crankshaft easily.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:06 PM

Deleted..........!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Can be done on any of them without draining the coolant or removing the radiator on 4 cyls. but it is easier and most of the time it needs changed anyway. I have a tool made for removing 1200 timing covers and one I made that will work on 1000s and 1100s.
1500s rotate CCW BTW.
corkya and CrystalPistol like this.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Model: SE
Garage
Trying to avoid dumping the coolant. The bike had all fluids replaced last fall so I didn't want to just toss that out. I don't know if the belts have been changed. None of the service records reflect that so after 17 years and 98500 miles, it's time. I ordered the goodyear belts, found a good deal on them locally. I will probably have to dial up the patience factor in getting out the left cover.
I am thinking this should be easier than when I changed my 1200's belts, I don't see how to get that done with the radiator in the way.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

98063 miles as of 05122017

Other ride:
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400 (Maxi-Scoot)

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Model: GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
You can catch the coolant in a clean container and reuse it. I have done that. It would make it a lot easier to get that left cover off and back on with those hoses out of the way.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Model: 1995 Gl1500se
When I changed my belts on my 95 1500se I removed the lower radiator hose to make removing the covers easier. Coolant does not cost that much at Wally World, just plan on changing it. I also removed all the spark plugs to make spinning the engine easier (much easier). Got my belts from Amazon for about $15.00 each. My idlers were in good shape, but I bought a used set on EBAY. Job was pretty easy and straight forward. Don't over tighten the idlers. Start it and let it idle with the covers off for about a minute to seat the belts and then retension the idlers.
Aloha Tom likes this.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500se
1985 Honda Shadow VT700c
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Timing Belts

Deleted............!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page