5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Terrible Noise from front end when running.

Hi all,

I have a 1990 model and here is what happened. After a 300 mile trip and stuck in some traffic I noticed my engine temp was getting really hot. I pulled over and noticed my left fan was not running. I let the engine cool down and drove 2 more short trips that day ( about 100 miles). The next day when I started it up I can feel a vibration in the floorboards and you can hear what I thought at first was a timing belt that was shreading apart and rubbing on the inside of the plastic shroud. The sound is almost like if you put a couple small bolts in a metal bucket and stirred it around. Does not increase with engine RPM. Is this a possible sign of the water pump?

I also notice my clutch fluid was very low and I bled the system and put in new fluid. This might be coincidence, but when I let go of the clutch I notice the noise more.... but it is still present while I drive (real intermittent) and clutch position doesn't seem to matter much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Model: 1998 S.E.
Looks like some maintence is needed here. Raise front end to check wheel bearings. How old are the timing belts? If you don`t know, immediately replace them. Both fans need to be running. Find out why one isn`t. Find out where clutch fluid went. Probably slave cylinder, as well as the master cylinder need rebuilding. Vibration in the floorboards? Heel toe shifter then? How old is your anti freeze? Any leakage from weep hole on water pump? Change anti freeze if not sure. Same with brake fluid. If not sure when the last time brake fluid was changed and bled, do it now.
gumbyred

1998 Gold Wing S.E. with 221,106 miles
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

The Noise is there without moving the bike....Timing belts replaced 50,000 miles ago. I bleed the clutch and brakes every other year as well as anything else I can. I also just replaced the final drive and flange...

The noise is there when the bike is stationary or moving... as far as feeling through the floorboards it is very faint, but there.

Thank you for the suggestions!!!

Larry

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
There seems some issues on the bike independent from each other.

For the noise I suspect the alternator, or the clutch mechanism. You can use a sthetescope for mechanics to locate the source of the noise.

For the fan, it is easy to check, remove the fan connector and apply voltage and ground to the pins inside the connector. The problem may be at the fan or its wiring or the connector since the other fan works properly.

For the clutch, it is not normal to have a low fluid level, it is not like the brakes. You should find the leak, probably you will need to rebuild the slave cylinder, which has seals and oring in it.

Last edited by Erdeniz Umman; 06-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
A failed water pump could cause overheating, vibration and the noise you mentioned.
toolcraft4100 and DBohrer like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Model: '91 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
A failed water pump could cause overheating, vibration and the noise you mentioned.
The water pump is very accessible on the 1500. With the bike running you can put your hand on it and hopefully tell if the noise and vibration is coming from it.
The clutch slave cylinder is another matter completely, but I successfully rebuilt mine so it can't be that hard to do. If you are losing fluid from the clutch, it is very important to find out where it is going because you don't want it to migrate from the clutch slave cylinder into the crankcase.

toolcraft4100
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Update,
I removed the Alternator (compufire about 3 years old) and I put in an old alternator as started the bike up. I didn't notice the noise at all!!!
When I spin the shaft on the compufire I do not hear anything out of the ordinary. The alternator shop I went to cant get to it for 2 weeks!!! 'I also ordered some new dampeners as one looks in rough shape.

Can a bad dampener cause this noise?

For troubleshooting can I run the bike for a short period with the alternator out if needed?

Thanks for the help....
Larry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Model: 1998 S.E.
You will sling the motor oil out onto the ground quickly if you try run bike with out alternator. Was the Compufire charging when you removed it? Old, hard rubber dampners can be noisy.
gumbyred
Aloha Tom likes this.

1998 Gold Wing S.E. with 221,106 miles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

The old Compufire was charging fine. I ordered a newe one that will be here tomorrow along with new dampers. Ill update progress as needed.

Larry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Well,

I put the new dampers and alternator in..... it was quiet at first, but after a little run ( only a minute down the road ) I could again hear the dreaded sound. It doesn't appear to change with engine RPM and I thought it was maybe a rock. In the Brake Cover... but it is still there when not moving. Guessing the waterpump?

I'll try this route and let ya know!!!!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page