Visitor Messages

Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Buddy Reed
    04-20-2017 04:26 PM - permalink
    Buddy Reed
    Bought a GL1500 that has not be on road for about 12-15 months.

The bike will run only with choke open. Once it fires, it takes a moment for it to run smoothly (choke open idling 2k+ rpm). When I shut the choke, the engine dies.

I'm using Sea Foam in an effort to clean the carbs (1/2 can per tank). Several times, I let it idle for 30-45 minutes. I've taken the bike on the road 4 times. Rides average 70 miles & have been on open 4 lane interstate. Initially, 5th gear only got up to 55-60 on level highway. Yesterday, it got to about 85 (still room left in the throttle). On the road, it is responding better, but still dies with choke off & my mpg is only about 26.

The bike has just under 43,000 miles on it and was tuned up a few months before being parked.

It appears my next step should be to replace the vacuum hoses. I've already replaced the dirty filter with a K&N. I don't want to get into the carburetors themselves...but guess I will if I have to.

Thanks.
  2. Buddy Reed
    04-19-2017 12:33 PM - permalink
    Buddy Reed
    So glad to be a part of this group...and greatly enjoyed reading the helpful posts. I've been a Goldwing Rider for 30+ years...and have ridden motorcycles for much longer than that. I look forward to a mutually helpful relationship with the riders here. Thank you for permitting me to be a part of it. Buddy Reed

About Me

• About Buddy Reed
    Biography
    Grew up in VA & TN. Lived 10 years in CA...been in NC since '86. Goldwing rider for 30+ yrs
    Interests
    Goldwing riding, firearms & hunting
    Occupation
    Pastor
    Year
    Make
    Honda
    Goldwing Model
    Goldwing SE

Statistics

Total Posts
Visitor Messages