19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
We have passed thru Savanna tens of times in the trips from NJ to fl but never bother to stop in here mainly because we were in the hurry to reach our vacation home or go back to work
We will be here for two days so no footmarks on the maps. The ride to the back roads of Fl was nice with pleasant weather and very little traffic. I was given thumb up for the bike in a car driven by a few young guys.
Toward the end it got hot and we were happy to step in the overpriced hotel by the historic district.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Savannah is a nice place to visit. Take a trolley ride when you stay in here. You'll see most of the city center and a bunch of historical places. It was booming during the cotton era. In the 60s thru the 80 it was almost a ghost town with lots of vacant buildings.
There are many beautiful parks in the city center..Quiet a few movies have been shot in them or in the historical buildings.
A clip of a very popular one,taken in the same park is below.
In 5 days or so we have to see Utah so we better hurry.

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #113 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

It was all back roads from Savanah to Asheville. The sky was mostly cloudy and we had a bit of rain but t was not uncomfortable at all. At the biggining we were stuck in Savanah port traffic but most of the time we were alone on the road. I saw many gas station with under two bucks per gallon but in one place there was a station that advertised $1.79/ gallon. The last 40 miles brought us in town thru twistes to my enjoyment. I was using my highway pegs whenever I need to stretch my legs. To my disappointment ,while parking, I saw I lost the right footrest piece. I wonder how it came lose without me noticing. We'll stay here another day to look around.

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #114 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
sorry about you loosing that foot peg piece on the highway pegs....

have you ever considered getting a set of ?MICK-O-PEGS
I have those and now that I do, I would not be without them anymore.
most comfortable foot pegs I have used.

www.ridingiswonderful.com

post #115 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you John. I'll look into it.
Yesterday we woke up to a damp day. The decision was made to go up the mountains to see a waterfall. We rode for like 40 minutes at times in rain other times in fog. There were a few turists at the entrance to the water fall and even a pair on a Gl1800.
We went down the paved alley for a bit but turned around when the pavement ended. Didn't feel like getting g muddy
I set the GPS for downtown Asheville and we rode down a bunch of twistes until my wife almost got dizzy and she's not prone to motion sickness . I'm glad I have changed the front tire. We had lunch in town while the sun came out of the clouds.
Then after returning to the hotel I went across the street and purchessed waterproofing spray for our boots ,jackets and rain gear. Today we will mostly ride in a wall of water.

AZgl1800 likes this.

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #116 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

No rain yesterday. Just a deer darting across 3 lane of heavy traffic in front of us at 80ph. The deer made it so did we.
Back of the Dragon is a great experience. Take it if you are around Marion. 33 miles of fun

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #117 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Garage
great photos Peter,

hope to see that country one day

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:
post #118 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Not a drop of water on us yesterday. Almost disappointed. Lol. We arrived at my sons house..Rt 81 was a mess towards the end with a few accidents and a lot of traffic. They took us to the horse stable where they have Ani . There is a pic of me with her.
We'll have breakfast together, play some tennis then hop on our red horse and move on

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #119 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Finally we had a chance to see Utah again. Some may remember that our Grandson is name Utah. Here he is with his sister Lucy. A year has past, almost to the date since we took off into our long trip from this very location. It used to be our home. I built this house with my two hands 30 some years ago. It was a lucky home where we raised 3 children. During the last year we have sold it to our daughter Sylvia and her husband at a bargain price. They made it their own doing a lot of cosmetic work and rearranging rooms and new furniture. The property taxes went from $2400.00/year to almost $11000/year.
Tomorrow I'll pack up,leave Letizia behind and head where ever the road takes me.

Follow me on SPOT:
Copy/Paste this link:
tinyurl.com/jesj3q6

post #120 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 AM

Garage
I have forgotten who Letizia is?

I see from your SPOT tracker that you were last at N. Half Acre Rd up near Jamestown, NJ.

Never been there, but will be at the Smithsonian Museum near W. DC come Sunday, July 9th.

Utah is a good looking boy, and his sister is quite precious.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page