Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1800 GPS Update

45K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  johnocooper 
#1 ·
imported post

It's a little painful to shell out $221.42 for the new Garmin 2GB flash card for the latest update on the navigation system. It sells for $199.00, but the amount I paid was with shipping and state tax. I was reading the Honda RedRider magazine that was just announcing the release of the latest update from Garmin. I ran a search on this forum for 'GPS updates' and there was very little information and no follow through. When placing the order, I had to give the VIN number off my Goldwing, so I don't think these cards can be simply duplicated, so mother Honda and Garmin has us by the short hairs. Here is the thread that didn't give me much information, the last entry was towards the end of June this year.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=27636&forum_id=4&highlight=gps+update

There was at least one guy that sounded like he wanted to start a class action suit against Honda to get these built in GPS systems updated with the proper software fixes, but as I said before, I didn't find any follow through, the thread just died.

The Garmin website for ordering the flash card is as follows:

http://www.garmin.com/goldwing

Garmin does not supply any information on what software issues were fixed, which for $200 for this update, they should. Are there any GL1800 riders out there that have purchased the update cards and have some information? Did they fix the ridiculous POI issues where I don't have to travel 1500 miles for a Radio Shack? It would also be nice if these systems now included the speed and altitude you are traveling at, the technology has been there for years. :?

P.S. At least I can use my old 2GB flash card as a backup with my digital camera. In trying to justify the expense of this new update navigation card, I checked Costco's website and a 2GB card sells for $46.99, plus applicable tax for your state. It's still an awful lot of money any way you look at it.:gunhead:

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

Not any way that I have found Rudy. I have to say though, I love having a GPS and I know there are better systems out there. None are as easy to read as the built in one, that is also compatible with the Honda audio system, which cancels music when giving a voice command. I have been riding for 40 years and it wasn't until I got the Goldwing with GPS and put in the "Shortest Route" command for destinations, that I have discovered some of the most interesting roads for sight seeing here in California. Having that feature alone is like having a local as a back seat passenger, giving you the 'grand tour.' The people I ride with always want me up front keying in our ultimate destination with the command "Shortest Route." To make it real interesting, I will also put in the command to avoid highways. :grinner:

#4 ·
imported post

I guess if there is a place for a screwy GPS system, it would be on a motorcycle.
It will always find the worst route for a car and the best one for a bike. :goofygrin:

#5 ·
imported post

I too was reading in Red Rider about the updated card. I wasn't as excited as you were since I am waiting to see/hear what I am going to get for the $200. I agree it is a ridiculous price for what should be at a minimal cost if not free! Please let us "cheap skates" know what you think of how they have resolved the POI and other problems. Thanks for being theguinea pig for the rest of us.

Dennis

#6 ·
imported post

Itbothers methat most of the 1800 riders I know have needed to purchase an aftermarket GPS system because the factory one sucks..:X

My old Garmin Quest has been excellent, and my motorycle cradle has an earphone hookup for voice commands.

It just doesn't seem right that neither Honda or Garmin want to claim responsibilty for the system on the 1800's..:X

#10 ·
imported post

drsult wrote:
I really like that fact that my GPS is "secure" on my bike, weather tolerant, and compatable with the audio system. I also agree that there are better systems out there but most don't meet the three criteria I mentioned here.

D

But my Garmin Quest is small enough to put in my front pocket without me knowing it's there, waterproof, and if I tried, I could wire it into my audio system.. Instead I just read the screen..

Also, it was only $100 more than the update that was purchased, and I can move it to my KLR, V Strom, Scooter, Car or Truck, or even my boat... Hell, I can use it while walking, too..:shock:

#12 ·
imported post

BenMC wrote:
It's about time the Goldwing GOS was updated. This really needs to happen every year.
I don't know about that. $200 every year? I already feel that mother Honda and Garmin is reaching into my pocket without the foreplay. If major software issues were ironed out, along with map updates...Then I can understand the cost. I hope future map updates won't be such a rip off.

I will report back to this forum with any positive changes regarding the software updates. The fact that Garmin is not stating any information about this new flash card is just plain bad business in my opinion.

#14 ·
imported post

:?Whatever enhancements were made to the firmware, they are so slight that they really don't stand out. Since I like back roads with lots of twisties and scenery, I am glad to see they fixed the "Unverified Road" bonging that interrupted my music every 20 seconds or so. The latest Mapping update has done nothing about "Verifying" these named roads that have been around for years.

I believe the "Points of Interest" on the GPS has been cleaned up and offers better information. On a recent ride up to San Luis Obispo, a friend of mine and I were on route 58 (off the 101 North) early on a Saturday morning. For about an hour and a half we were travelling in 26F weather through some valleys and I made a stop to thaw out. We were both freezing and hungry, so I brought up the nearest services in an area that was totally out in the middle of nowhere. There was a place called "Rosie's Cafe" on route 33 in a town called Fellows, only 14 miles away. All things being subjective, I would have paid $200 for a warm building and food at that point and I would never have found this little "hole in the wall" without the navigation system, the town didn't show up on the maps I had. Based on what little information I have about the changes in firmware, I don't think a whole lot of people will be shelling out $200 plus for this latest update. Hopefully someone will post with more definitive facts on things I have overlooked. :baffled:

#15 ·
imported post

The map databases are not being updated as well as they should be. I was talking to a fellow in Flagstaff who's home is on an area that does not even show to have streets. He walked the area and mapped every street that existed around his neighborhood.

He then sent that info in to Garmin and the folks that Garmin buys their database from. That was over five years ago and still nothing has been done to add those streets to the database.

The subject came up because I tried to find his house with my Garmin 2730 and his street doesn't even show to be in Arizona??

#16 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The map databases are not being updated as well as they should be. I was talking to a fellow in Flagstaff who's home is on an area that does not even show to have streets. He walked the area and mapped every street that existed around his neighborhood.

He then sent that info in to Garmin and the folks that Garmin buys their database from. That was over five years ago and still nothing has been done to add those streets to the database.

The subject came up because I tried to find his house with my Garmin 2730 and his street doesn't even show to be in Arizona??
I'm not sure how Garmin sets priorities for their updates. Just know that only a year or two after we had our house built in Scottsdale, you could see it on all the software maps I could find. Even had overhead shots of our neighborhood which were pretty darn clear. We had our place in WV built almost 4 years ago, and the roads still don't even show up on any maps...Garmin included. Makes you wonder who prioritizes these systems or decides which areas are more important...doesn't it? :?:?

#17 ·
imported post

Update: I just purchased a GL1800 08'. The software was version 4.31 and the map info was "City Navigator North America Version 8, may 2006". Called Garmin to see if there was a free update, as Garmin usually would update software if you purchased something and new software was out.

:p So much for that idea.:behead: They stated that the unit was not a garmin, and according to the license agreement with Honda, there were no free upgrades. They suggested I talk with the Honda dealer to see if they would pay for the update.

Looks like I will just stick with what I have and purchase a Zumo 550 and ram mount. I have been riding with a Color Street Pilot III for the last 6-7 years and it still works well. I update the software every other year or so.

At any rate, that what I found as of 12/1/08. Ride Safe!
Doc :18black:

#18 ·
imported post

Question for computer Guru's. I have heard on this site and others many times that you can download the City Navigator CD to the Garmain Card, that fits in the Wing. I am sure I can figure out how to do this, but my question is this, I have the City Navigator CD and can update it for free at the Garmain Website. It is a CD I got when I purchased a Zumo. I understand the download and all that kind of thing, but my real question is , from what I can tell of it, it is just that, an update for City Navigator, and updates major cities. Does not update all the other roads between the cities?? As a matter of fact it is in addition to the information already on the Zumo.

So is all this talk about using this update correct? Or just for major cities? Does City Navigator also update all roads? If for a fact this CD does update all roads, then I am pretty sure I know how to bootleg it , and use it with the Wings.

Kit

#19 ·
imported post

Bootlegging may be out of the question. Garmin updates are given unlock codes that are tied to the units' serial number. Tried some of that with Magellan and it wouldn't work, either. The maps sent on SD cards are able to be copied, but enhancements usually are not.

#23 ·
imported post

Just in case the referenced forum's thread should disappear, I have copied it to here:
From Modesto Bob's thread on GL1800Riders

UPDATING THE GARMIN NAVI TO 2009

This post is mostly a compilation of the several terrific posts I have read on this forum about how to do this NAVI update. I made this file for my own use...but little of it‘s content is original from me. Call me an editor at best. Then I thought...what the heck, maybe someone else would find it useful. I believe this post has covered all the issues that have been raised on the forum. If not, any errors are strictly my own (read in here the usually legalese refusal to take responsibility for your future acts). Personally, while I have downloaded the firmware update and ordered the 2009 map file, I have not yet received it. So I haven’t followed this script myself yet....but I will! Good luck with your update!

First - there are two different things that need updating. One is referred to as the FIRMWARE which is updating the GPS unit itself with instructions on how to operate. As of October 19, 2008, the latest firmware version is 4.31

Second - The MAP SET. This can be obtained at least two ways. One is to buy a new 2gb CF (Compact Flash) card from HONDA/GARMIN with the map sets already on it. They want $199.00 for this card. But the latest version available is out of date.

The cheaper way is buy the full version of GARMIN’S CITY NAVIGATOR, and then install it on your PC and upload it to the card yourself. GARMIN sells this for $99.00, but you can find it cheaper. Make SURE you DON'T get the "NT" version as it won't work on the GW NAVI.

As of October 19, 2008, the latest version of CITY NAVIGATOR is 2009 - CN2009. It's part # is 010-10474-00. CN2009 has the same part number as CN2008, so be sure to get the newer one...only the revision number is different. Be sure to order the full DVD set of CITY NAVIGATOR, NOT the update.

Note: It’s been said you don't NEED to buy another 2gb CF card, just re-use the OEM card. But others have reported that you DO have to use a new card for this to update work. So, just get a new card! Save the OEM as it is, then you know you can’t possible screw this up! I hear new 2gbCF cards sell at Office Max for $10-15. Format the card FAT or FAT32. Not NTFS.

INSTALLING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE:

Step 1. Download the firmware file gupdate.gcd from somewhere. It’s on the web...look at the latest posts on this topic for the web-address. It's not locked. The file is a little over 3mb so it's easily e-mailed around. Someone said they borrowed one out of a new GL at the dealership. Don't bother asking GARMIN...they just tell you to go buy the $199 CF card. This particular firmware file is specific to the Honda/Garmin NAVI unit. It's not going to help you update your Zumo or any other GARMIN product.

Step 2. Pull the OEM card from the NAVI unit. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF, Open the main trunk, push the latch on the left side of the NAVI box to open the cover, and eject the current CF memory card by pushing the eject button located directly above the card.

If you insist on re-using your OEM card, copy the files on your OEM CF card to your hard drive in a “GARMIN” folder, so if something goes wrong, you can recopy them to the card.

Step 3. Copy the new gupdate.gcd to your (new or old) CF Card BY ITSELF in a folder called GARMIN. That's the only file that should be on the card...just a folder with a file inside.

Step 4. BEFORE you put the card back in the GPS, power up the bike (accessory is fine) and DON'T press the ENT button when prompted by the GPS. After the bike has “booted up”... if the audio screen is displayed... push the "DISP" button and return to the NAVI screen. Make sure you are on the screen where it asks you to press “ENT”...but don't press ENT before you start! Next go to the trunk and stick the CF card in the NAVI. After you put the card in, the GPS will seem to do nothing for a while...and you’ll see the default NAVI logo screen. It just looks like it's not doing anything...be patient...DON'T turn the key off. The NAVI will eventually read the card and load the update file into the GPS unit. You should see a small black box at the bottom of the screen which shows you what's going on ("Reading/Uploading/Updating”). After uploading is completed, this text box will disappear and the GPS will reboot itself and stop at the "ENT" screen. This means the update is completed. Now press the ENT button be taken to the map screen. Go into the Menu/System Info and see what version firmware was loaded and...voila! it should say "Version 4.31".

Step 5. Now go take your card back out of the bike and to your PC. Restore the map files you backed up. Put the card it back in the GPS and you should be good to go with your OLD maps. Make sure to close the NAVI box cover and push the latch to the right until it clicks. Check the cover is securely closed. If you are adding the new map set also, see how to do that below.

Note: Do not remove the CF memory card or turn the ignition switch OFF before the updating is completed. Interrupting the complete program update may cause a problem in the Navigation System. If the update fails “consult with a Honda dealer near you”. Read in here that “legalese refusal to take responsibility for your future acts”... again.

Note: if you are NOT updating the maps... after you get the update to work, copy all the files from your old card to your new card, making sure to put them in the GARMIN folder...EXCEPT the old gupdate.gcd file. Do not copy that to the new card, keep the new gupdate.gcd file on the new card you will be using. OR...as an alternative...put your ORIGINAL OEM card back in the GPS and it will use the maps as usual (you probably should copy the new gupdate.gcd file to the OEM card if you will be continuing to use that card in the bike ...although it’s been posted that once the GPS has read in the new firmware (the update process) it will NOT go back and read the old gupdate.gcd file that is on the ORIGINAL card, just because you put that card back in).

ALTERNATIVE (reported by one poster): just pull the card and put it in your reader. There are three files on the card. One is the old 4.20 gupdate.gcd file dated 4.3.2006. Over-write that file with the 4.31 file. Turn the bike to ACC, wait for the ceremony to finish and the GPS to ask for the normal “press enter” ...then plug in the card. The GPS should find the new gupdate.gcd file, load it in and reset itself. With this alternative plan, you do not have to remove the map files from the OEM card, and you don't have to then re-load the map files back on it.

Note: The difference between a NORMAL UPDATE and a FORCED UPDATE (Canadian bikes, apparently) seems to be that the forced update requires you to remove the navigation unit to be able to press the reset button a couple of times.

INSTALLING THE NEW MAP SETS

Note: the maps are locked by Garmin's own security measures. You can't simply copy the data from one card to the other. It doesn't work like that. You MUST buy their license to make it work. It uses your GPS serial number to code it so it will only work on one bike.

Its said you can use the UNIT ID rather than take the GPS apart to get to the SN. The UNIT ID is available in the system display of the GPS unit. You can apparently call GARMIN and give them the UNIT ID #, and they can give you the unit Serial # . Finding the Serial Number entails removing the GPS unit from the wall of the trunk. To find the serial number, remove the CF card to prevent damage, unscrew the GPS out of the trunk and then remove the metal case from the plastic cover. There will be a sticker on the metal case with the unit serial number.

The UNLOCK KEY: To unlock the CITY NAVIGATOR software , you have to install the software on your PC first, then input your NAVI serial number and obtain an UNLOCK KEY. That key will become specific to your bike. The DVD will become useful for only one specific GPS/ serial number unless you obtain more than one UNLOCK CODE. Each unlock code is limited to a single GPS unit. Use the GARMIN 25-digit unlock code to unlock the map on the PC. Remember, if the incorrect GPS unit serial # is used, it won't later work on your GW NAVI. The unlock code comes with the CN2009 DVD (it is between the two printed paper-boards that are the backdrop to the DVD jewel case, all within the heat-sealed packaging). It is not inside the DVD jewel case itself. Don't discard the paper-board backdrop until you have opened its two halves and the lock code certificate falls out.. You do need an internet connection to do all this on your PC.

Step 1. To install CITY NAVIGATOR on the PC: If you've bought the full version of CITY NAVIGATOR NON-NT (The Honda GPS can't read/decompress the NT version.), just install the program to your computer. Then redeem the unlock code with GARMIN over the internet.
During installation of MAPSOURCE onto your PC, it asks for the Serial Number of your designated target GPS device. Enter the serial number of your GL1800 NAVI GPS, as this is your declaration that “the one and only allowable unit in the entire cosmos specified to decode this DVD's map data WITH THIS SPECIFIC UNLOCK CODE is that GL1800 NAVI unit on your bike”. The DVD may alternatively give you the choice of entering your NAVI "Unit ID" since it is easier to find that via the display itself.

Step 2. Assuming you've now unlocked the map set and can see all the little detail roads On your PC, you need to select the "Map Tool" icon (the one that looks like a square PACMAN) and then start in one corner and select all the different sections of North America. The only thing you have to watch for is to be sure to select all the maps available to be transferred. After you do this (selected the 09 map), save the file Then try the data transfer to the CF card. Maps that were NOT selected would be missed. Next, make sure your CF card (back up the OEM card first if you refused to get a new card to use...cheapskate...) is in your computer and click “Transfer - Send to device”. This will bring up the “send to device box” in which you want to make sure "Maps" is checked. It won't allow you upload routes or anything else so don't bother trying. Click “send” (to the CF card) and go (insert time consuming activity here)... as this is going to take awhile. First the software builds the map sets and then it uploads them to the CF card. It's not uncommon for this to take a long, LONG TIME... an hour or more. Be patient. Whew!

One poster said “When in MAPSOURCE (CITY NAVIGATOR) on the PC, in the 1000mi resolution, I chose maps and with the selection tool just highlighted the entire North America land mass, then "transfer" download to original empty CF card as is. I didn't even have to name a "Garmin" folder, it did it for me.”

Step 3. Once the PC is finished uploading all the data to the CF card, put the card back in the GPS, you should then have the latest version of the maps installed. The new maps are there as data on the CF card. As such, there is no actual "upload" or "install" procedure to endure. The maps are immediately "in your display" ready for you to access.

Home, Honda dealers, POIs, previous searches, settings, and your favorites should not be affected by these map data updates. This information is saved in the ROM in the GPS unit along with the other firmware programing that makes the NAVI system work. The NAVI does not have the ability to write to the CF card. Check it out...from MENU, go to
- find
- point of interest
- all points of interest
- Honda dealers
The above routine should list the dealers from the ROM on your NAVI and not the '09 database. It is unknown whether that list is updated with a firmware update. It may be that most/some of the Honda dealers will be in the '09 database but not accessible with the above routine.

Your results may vary (read in here the usually legalese refusal to take responsibility for your future acts).
Good luck and ride safe!
ModestoBob
Lurker
GL1800Riders Forum;

#24 ·
imported post

I am the happy owner of a 2009 Airbag model. Been reading this topic about updating the Navi GPS database.

It came with a 2008 NT database, and sw ver 2.20. Is there a newer Navi firmware for the 2009 models? I'm assuming it uses different code that the previous bikes, since it now uses the NT database format.

The instructions I've seen for updating the SD card on a PC using the database CD were for the non NT databases used in the 2008 and older Goldwings. Has anyone attempted to update a 2009 NT Navi yet?

I'm not thrilled with the POI data. Is there a way to store waypoint information on the SD card, and then load it into the Navi?

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

#25 ·
imported post

If you purchase your maps separately from a discount store just remember that your system does NOT use NT maps. I don't know if the 2009 Wings have upgradedthe GPS to the new NT series or not. I definitely know the 2006 can only be upgraded up to 2009 garmin non nt maps. The 2010 version is only available in the new NT format.

#26 ·
imported post

Kojaq:

My 2009 Navi GPS claims to use NT maps, as it appears the 2010 models do.

The GPS tells me it has map version "City Navigator North America NT 2008".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------^^

Thank you for the reply,
Chris Shaker

Kojaq wrote:
If you purchase your maps separately from a discount store just remember that your system does NOT use NT maps. I don't know if the 2009 Wings have upgradedthe GPS to the new NT series or not. I definitely know the 2006 can only be upgraded up to 2009 garmin non nt maps. The 2010 version is only available in the new NT format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.