LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Reason I ask is this:

I have a Craftsman 42" riding mowere(DLT 3000) with a 20 hp Kohler Command Courage engine that sports dual cams, overhead valves and pressurized lubrication. The mower is approx 5 years old and has regular maintenance performed.
The engine has gone to "blowing" oil out of the breather tube on the valve cover. This in turn is pulled into the intake and burned producing smoke. Now it does not do this at regular intervals so I can't say as to what is causing it as far as me.

I have plugged the hole to the carb intake and routed the breather tube into a plastic bottle to catch the oil and just check the oil level after approx 30 minutes of mowing. It doesn't burn the oil, just blows it past the pushrods and into that valve area.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Engine runs fine otherwise.

Richard
ddrumman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
SC

Post imported post

If it is like a Honda there is a small plastic part about the size of a quarter that acts like a crank case pressure baffle

The plastic looses its temper and oil blows by

On a Honda this piece is under the flywheel on most motors over 20 hp

Should be an easy fix

On a Honda (hard service in the field) the plastic develops dimples and sometimes you can get by (if there is no replacement) by just flipping the small disk

SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I have wrenched a bunch of Kohler engines in my life, and Kohler used to use a metal baffle in that breather, along with a fiber filter. Sounds to me like that baffle has gotten some trash behind it holding the crankcase breather open allowing oil to escape out of it, or if it has a fiber filer it may have came apart. I suggest that you take that breather cover off and see if you can check that baffle and filter...

.KohlerOHV engines back in the mid 80's to early 90's were a POS.....Especially the single cylinder 18 hp engines....After buying so many heads and head gaskets we converted all 18 OHV engines into a 16 hp flat head engine.. but here again every now and then one would start blowing oil out of the breathers....We had several Kohler twin horizontal engines in our Cushman gas carts, the 18 hp was always breaking down , we replaced them with a 22 hp Kohler engine, then the only problem then was keeping rear tires on them..operators loved to "burn rubber" with those new engines....But here again we did have to watch out for breather problems.....

Hope this helps you...

Claude

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

The breather hose on this engine just slips into that valve cover on the carb side of the engine. Now looking at a service manual for this series engine that I downloaded off of Kohler's site, there is a small ball type check valve(they call it a drain back valve) that you can acess when the head is pulled. Could this be stuck? Doesn't state which way the oil flows.

The engine also has 140 psi compression and like I said, doesn't burn any oil at all, other that blowing out the valve cover. Maybe that little valve is not allowing that oil to drain back??

I really can't complain about this mower. It has started and run great and I'm still running the original battery in the thing!

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Sounds like that maybe that is your problem, the excess oil has to flow back into the crankcase , just like any forced oil system.....If it doesn't you get blow by, which is what you have....

Nothing to do with this thread but, the first V-8 OHVengines Ford built, the Cam bearing where the oil went to the rocker arms was very bad about turning and shutting off all oil to the valves and rocker arms....But there was a way to get oil up there, you had to remove a plug on the side of the block, it was a main oilgalley and then you had to buy special bolts to put in the head...These bolts held down the valve covers also and to that new bolt you ran a copper line from that oil galley and hooked it into that special valve cover bolt.....You could aways tell if it had been done because when you opened the hood there on each valve cover were these copper lines......

Claude

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Anything to do with crank case ventilation or the check ball that you mentioned will cause this. it's also hard on your seals due to over pressure if the vent is blocked. It might be coked up like the blow off valves in commercial compressors do.
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

My dad works on lots of generators and when it comes to Kohlers, he'd tell you to weld a big "eye" hook on the top of it and use it for a boat anchor!

Sounds like you already got some good advice. Something to do with crankcase venting would be my guess also.

SB in SC
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."
https://www.facebook.com/rednecktraveltales
http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/SB_in_SC/
http://nwtf.org/
SB in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

I know Kohler engines get a bad "rap" but to be honest, I have had Briggs engines that have given me problems before too. I was told their OHV engines were no better that Kohler's.....this from a certified lawnmower repairman.

I added an ounce of Seafoam to the crankcase just to see if it would free up that check valve....if that's the case.

The only reason I think this could have happend is when I changed to synthetic oil in the engine last year. If so, no more of syn in my mower! Works great in the bikes and atvs although!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum