LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
It aint rocket science

Goldwing Model: The best
Post imported post

As a professional mechanic for many years I would often buy Snap On for their warranty. Their tools had a lifetime replacement if broken or defective.

The needle no longer sits at zero on my fuel pressure-vacuum gauge from Snap On. This is not good when trying to diagnose a recent fuel problem on my ride, inaccurate readings. I put the gauge in my car with the intention of getting it replaced when spotting a Snap On truck in my travels.

A couple weeks passed and a truck was spotted at a used car dealer, spun the car around and went to the truck with gauge in hand. After introductions and explaining the problem with the gauge, his answer was that Snap On will no longer make good on their warranty. The dealer explained that most items i.e. test equipment, taps,dies and various other instruments no longer are covered. When asked what is still warranted for life, he said basically just hand tools.

I told him that when I bought this gauge twenty five years ago the life time warranty was a factor in my purchase and that I could probably still find the original sales slip. No good came the reply and could call corporate if i wanted to pursue it further.

Dirty rotten bastards shanking the little man again.

JD

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need one on one help feel free to PM
DriverRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

That just Bites!!!! I bought Snap on just because of the warrenty cause I was makeing my living with them. never had a problem with replacement. and i must say that very few times did I ever have to warrenty anything. thats really sad.
John3:16
The Road is long winding hilly flat hot cold sun stars AINT IT FUN!!!!
1st bike 125HD in 1969
250Honda Dream
750Honda
10 HD
89aspencade
1994 GL 1500 Trike
Past
-------------------
91HD Maybe Trike project

Lightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

If memory serves they never did warranty anything but hand tools for more than a year.
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

whoa slow down chief i have about every brand of tool the world has to offer and ive been wrenching for about 15ish years

and each company offers much diffrent warranties on their hand tools

their warranty is 100percent on all HAND TOOLS maybe a 1 or 2 year on air tools

on pressure guages its not lifetime guarantee on diagnostic equipment like scanners ect if you break it its yours but if it malfunctions internally they will cover it to a extent

taps and dies ect are warranties its a hand tool but if you buy a bluepoint tool their warranty isnt as good as a snap-on warranty blue point is kinda the red headed step child each major tool company has a lesser brand but just as good ad the original

if i go to sears and buy a torx bit they will not warranty it because they consider it a "bit" not a hand tool

if you read snap-on's warranty policy its pretty plain cut

they will replace all hand tools on breakage but the dealer is the one who determines the breakage most dont care they just warranty it, its no cost to them but if you throw a attitude with them, if they see a chrome socket and they see chatter marks they know you've used it on a impact "voids the warranty" if they see your wrench has been heated by a torch or something VOID ect ect.

i wouldnt warranty a pressure guage for life thats like saying that condom is good for a billion uses... most tool sales people just say yes to every question you have to SELL youy the tool plain and simple

so take the guage to a pressure shop and get it CALIBRATED i bought my a/c guage set for the carriers from matco and they dont warranty the guages they warranty the manifold only and not the hoses if the guages malfuntion i'll take them to a pressure shop or something like that and get them fixed for far less than replacing them

i can rub salt in on this wound all day long but im tired and just take it to a place that can calibrate the guage for 20 bucks

peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
It aint rocket science

Post imported post

Slow down, me, full speed ahead man. This was a Snap On gauge and according to the catalogs of the time was warranted for life. The dealer did not disagree with me that there was no such warranty. And he did explain that through the years certain groups of tools and instruments were in fact being denied the original warranty that they were sold with.

JD

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
FM

Goldwing Model: 1991 GL1500-I
Post imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Quote:
Slow down, me, full speed ahead man. This was a Snap On gauge and according to the catalogs of the time was warranted for life. The dealer did not disagree with me that there was no such warranty. And he did explain that through the years certain groups of tools and instruments were in fact being denied the original warranty that they were sold with. JD
Sounds like the original contract was breached.

Once"X" items become non-warranted, said new items contract/warranty is in place. Not so on old items under original contract/warranty. They must honor original warranty. They do check serial numbers, if apply. Usually any new item that has a new/different warranty, said item will have a slightly different look.

Being a general truck mech, back in the early 80's, only hand tools were lifetime replacement. Generally speaking, anything that had moving parts were not. Even a simple 2 piece slide hammer was not lifetime replacement.

I have a1982 BluePoint 1/4" air ratchetwith a broken square drive. It's not under lifetime warranty either.
Said the SnapOn driver after I chased him down.
And to buy that part new costs more than a newratchet ! ! !

I'd love to side wi-cha, but can't.

Wrench ON!

. . . * . . * . . . . . . ( . . .*
Camping under /\ the moon & stars.

"Have Wing'n'Trailer, Will Travel"
"I'm doing as much as I can, with what little I have to work with."
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
It aint rocket science

Post imported post

FM

You seem like a righteous guy. Ever hear of Steely Dan?

I will go out and buy my Harbor Freight low pressure gauge gauge for $15. I just question its Chinese accuracy.

JD

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
FM

Goldwing Model: 1991 GL1500-I
Post imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Quote:
FM
You seem like a righteous guy. Ever hear of Steely Dan?
I will go out and buy my Harbor Freight low pressure gauge gauge for $15. I just question its Chinese accuracy. JD
Thanks, I'm humbled.
By the way. . .
Some of those older gauges were internally adjustable.
MAYBEEEEEE?

Pressure ON

. . . * . . * . . . . . . ( . . .*
Camping under /\ the moon & stars.

"Have Wing'n'Trailer, Will Travel"
"I'm doing as much as I can, with what little I have to work with."
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Goldwing Addict :-)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

When I was wrenching close to 30 years ago, when I bought all of mySnap-on tools, their lifetime warranty was only on the hand tools. It's possible your vacuum guage was sold with that kind of warranty, but it would have been unusual.

That said, with the prices they are getting now I wouldn't buy any more of their tools anyway. I went to their site when I saw this thread ,to look for their warranty, didn't find it by the way, and the ad belowis on their home page. Holy cow, $464.35 for a 10-piece set of long metric combo wrenchs, ON SALE!! They're out of their freakin' mind!

John
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Jluvs2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

John, that is how they afford that lifetime warranty.
You paid for the warranty up front.
that is why I don't buy their tools anymore (unless I find them on the cheap)

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum