View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM
CrystalPistol

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I would not start up a cold bike just to warm it .... especially up there in Canada? That last time you shut it down when you parked it ... the then HOT oil settled as low as it will after the next shut down.

If you want to change oil and filter all in one 30 minute segment like before the ride this afternoon, then yes .... you'll need to after engine shut down while warm.

But if like mine, the bike (on center stand) or trike is parked where I'm gonna do my next change anyway, I'd much rather just get my drain pans out and pull the drain plug and filter and walk away for from it while we go to Costco or whatever ..... and come back the next day and put the plug in and a new filter and add oil. It's not like you are in a rush. The oil will drain every bit as much as it will hot, just slower.

And that's one less cold start up, less wear, no condensation in exhaust, etc. I wouldn't even connect the battery .... just hang a tag on it saying "NO OIL" until I finished tomorrow ..... or next week.

Just sayin' .........

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( It's a Triple )
NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome