Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPS Update

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
imported post

Does anybody know where to get new cards or a web address??? Thanks , New to this stuff..

#2 ·
imported post

Hey Big, I cannot even begin to answer your question, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.:clapper:

Marty

#3 ·
imported post

You probably have all the straight scoop, but I am now curious....

Why do you say that you have 1998 maps? Usually, with new purchases, the GPS maps are current within a few months of the manufacture date, maybe a year at most. For a 2008 (made in 2007), I'd expect no worse than 2006 data. Assuming you do need an update, I'd talk tothe Honda dealer first, then call Garmin customer service (they supplied the NAV for the Honda). However, even having the very latest update doesn't necessarily translate to having accurate data.

Jim

#5 ·
imported post

Let me preface my response by telling you that I had a GL1800 last year, and spent a lot of time on the 1800 forums. What I'm reporting is taken from that time frame, and came from people on the forum that were battling with Honda about the ineffectiveness of the Goldwing GPS.
Unless things have changed in the last year, the GPS in the new Goldwings is working off a Garmin Version 6 map. The most current version is Version 8. A year ago, Honda had a plan to update the maps on the bikes that were already on the road, at the owner's expense, of course.
I've only heard rumors of the cost, but it was reportedly going to cost in the $150-200 range for the update.
This is just one more thing I don't like about the Goldwing GPS.
They do look kewl built-in like that, though. :)

#6 ·
imported post

Thanks , I wasn't sure who made the unit but you say it was Garmin. The reason for the "1998" maps was that I was going a little overboard but there have been new roads in my area (major) for over 3 years and they aren't on the system.

Thanks again.

Fred :D

#9 ·
imported post

Hey gang,

I don't think any GPS is 100%. I have a Megellan Roadmate in my car that doesn't know about grandma's house which was build 50+ years ago in the middle of San Diego. Go figure

When in doubt, Mapquest, oh yea, known to be wrong also, haha

Toy4Rick

#10 ·
imported post

Yep, none of them are perfect.

My Garmin 2730 which was an expensive unit at retail of $1,000 (I bought it after it was discontinued though) still does not have a complete database of businesses. This weekend I needed to find an Autozone or a Checkers or a NAPA, anything that sells car parts. They don't include anything except for automobile retailers for new cars. That is a serious problem in my books.

Why? A gps is for traveling no? If you are traveling away from home and you need to find repair parts, what good is the gps if you can't find a place to point it too?

Made me wish I had kept my subscription to my Verizon aircard for the laptop. At least the internet would have found a local car parts outlet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.