LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to vistacruizer
Post imported post

ok so my wife and i hop on the bike and take a ride over to our local honda / yamaha dealer. and naturally i start looking over the new hondas. my wife stops cold at the sight of the venture and falls in love with it. and i must admit the venture does have the goldwing beat in style. and the price is just a bit better than the goldwing. i am having a tough time thinking about another bike aside from the goldwing. i would really like to see honda make a goldwing with abit more style, than the generic look it has now. i still think the 1200's and the 1500's are the best looking GW's honda made.

1977 GL1000
1974 Honda XL250
1981 Honda CX500 (silver wing)
past rides
1974 Honda CB 454
1983 Honda CR 250
1979 Suzuki GS 1000
vistacruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

Yep, the Venture is a nice looking bike and if I wasn't in the market for a Wing I would entertain the idea of a Royale. However, when you L K at its styling there is no doubt that it is a "shadow" of the Harley Ultra. So if you like that style of bike then you will be drawn to the Venture.

I don't think there is a comparison between the 1800 and the Royale other than specs. The exterior of both are different in design.

For me, beauty is a factor but not the only factor when considering buying a bike. After having experienced the power of the Goldwing, I am not sure I would be satisfied with another bike that has a lot less in the power train.

I know there are those who find the 1800 unappealing but I love its styling over the competitor'ssimilar models.

That's my 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cent[1].jpg (6.8 KB, 311 views)
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

I, too am intersted in the RSV. Yamaha doesn't play the accessory games that Honda plays. Every RSV comes loaded with all the goodies. I haven't ridden one yet. That would be the deciding factor. Yamaha also gives a five year warranty. Worth a look.

John
Dadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

How will it hold up in time?

Look at all the old Goldwings that are still out there turning heads and burning up the miles. I just can't see how anything could compare to comfort and durability of these bikes.
IBA member #32000
lostinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Graphics Guru

Goldwing Model: http://www.eliomotors.com/
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MobyDick
Post imported post

If that Star is a vtwin, I would think that it would ride VERY differently than the wing. How can you compare it, then? You either like it or you dont. Ride it and see.

They are good looking bikes, thats for sure. I like that ribbed styling accent on the tanks they put on some of the stars.

If I was looking for another bike, I wouldnt buy one, it would be the nicest 15 I could get my grubs on. Now if I won a Star in a raffle or something, I would ride the poop out of it.

MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

UBarW wrote:
Quote:
If that Star is a vtwin,...
I think that the RSV is a water cooled V-4...

And if I were in the market for a new bike, I, too would have to take a test ride on the RSV.. I am a big guy and my wife takes up her share to. It is my understanding that they have a longer wheelbase, more seating room, larger capacity, and 5 std warrenty. Although I don't have a trailer yet, I understand that owners often prefer the RSV over the GW for trailer towing.. I think I like the fixed fairing of the goldwing better, I think but haven't ridden the RSV either... and for at least 4k less, it sounds like a bargin.... and if that is not enough, I can get what I want without that annoying NAV..... I like to work on my own bikes, and taking off a little less tupperware sounds appealing too.. Sounds like anathema to GW enthusiasts, but if I am not restricting myself to made in USA, then it will be the one I like best...

SDB/JIm
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken (and now off to Oak Ridge TN for a bit..)
sandiegobrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

My dad bought a 2004 last year. Has plenty of power, but I would guess the power is half way between a GL1200 and a GL1500. It is a 1300cc liquid cooled shaft drive V-4. It has an air ride system that almost floats you on a cloud. I guess it is a 900 lb bike and I notice my dad needs to watch how he parks it. It has everything a Goldwing has except for reverse. It does sit a bit lower than the GL so my dad weighing 300lbs at 60 yrs of age has an easier time getting on it. At low speeds in town it is not for the ameture rider. tends to be a bit top heavy with lower placed handlebars. You don't really get the benefit of the ride till you hit highway speeds, but I love it and it is comfortable. The electronic cruise is beautiful to use. If it wasn't a Godwing it would be a Venture.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

They are nice bikes, but here, they are the same price as an entry level wing.

I dont think so!!!!

They should be more around 12,900 and they'd sell more. It is not an 17-18000 dollar machine, and not the scooter a wing is.......jmho
Old 03-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum