Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trike front tire

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bagmaster 
#1 ·
imported post

I was talking to a guy with a 1800 TRIKE.. Asked him about his front tire.. It looked wide.. He said a bunch of his club members with trikes were using them.. It was a Michelin Activ 130/80/17 Bias rear tire for a sport bike.. It was mounted backward to the rotation arrows.. He said they checked with the Michelin rep and he said it wasn't a problem.. He claimed the guys were get over 30k on the front tire.. Anyone ever heard of this ??

#2 ·
imported post

That's what I have on mine. It has only been on there for this summer but it seems to work well. Have to keep plenty of air in it or it will cup just like any other front tire.

#3 ·
imported post

Well I'll be darn.. Here I thought the guy was nut's.. Your right I forgot I think he said he runs 45 lbs in the tire..

#5 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Isn't that what Dave0430 is using on the front of his bike anyway?
That is correct John. I got the idea when I saw one on a trike. I like the way it rides and handles but it does cup pretty bad on the 2 wheeler. It just plain won't wear in the middle where a trike would wear out a regular front tire in no time.

#6 ·
imported post

My last front tire was an MPA mounted so it rotated forward. I got a little over 15,000 before it started cupping. Now I have a bridgestone Battleaxe BT45 rear tire mounted running forward balanced with Dyna beads. 8000 on it so far and no problems. If that guys got 45lbs air in his hes running it too high. 41s the norm. On my Bridgestone I run 38 with Progressive springs in the front end.

#7 ·
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
That is correct John. I got the idea when I saw one on a trike. I like the way it rides and handles but it does cup pretty bad on the 2 wheeler. It just plain won't wear in the middle where a trike would wear out a regular front tire in no time.
So you've been doing this all along on a 2 wheeler?? I would have never thought of it.. That tire is inexpensive $115. compare to the Avon $147. I just ordered.. It handles the turns OK ?? When did the cupping start ??

#8 ·
imported post

Foodman wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
So you've been doing this all along on a 2 wheeler?? I would have never thought of it.. That tire is inexpensive $115. compare to the Avon $147. I just ordered.. It handles the turns OK ?? When did the cupping start ??
It's even cheaper than that from DennisKirk.com - Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, ATV, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile, PWC / Watercraft Parts, Apparel, and Accessories
The cupping starts pretty early in it's life but I put up with the noise in corners because I like the handling so much, I'm on the second one but I may try something else next time though. Thinking Pirelli sport demon.

#13 ·
imported post

cycledude wrote:
the only part i don't understand is why mount it in reverse ?
It is supposed to have better braking traction in wet conditions when mounted backward. The same reason why the tread on a regular front tire is opposite the tread on the rear. I run mine forward, the first one I ran backward and it cupped real quick so I turned it around.

#14 ·
#15 ·
imported post

i plan to do the same thing once I get the sidecar mounted plus run a car tire on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.