LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have a 02 1800 with a Honda CB. My problem is it only reaches out 1/2 to 3/4 miles. I get on the road and ask for lets say a weather check and I have had several say I need something to help boost my out put. My question is do they or can you get a amp / booster for a Goldwing CB or is there something else I can do? Thanks in advance for the great help ya'll always supply.

Thanks Wendell Chenault
Flyn Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I am not sure about the 1800 CB's but I know the 1500 CB's never put out the full allowed 4 watts. What did help on my 1500 was making sure the SWR's were checked on the antenna and I added a engine grounding strap from the bottom CB mounting bolt to the frame. Mine was good for several miles afterI did that. Good info here on SWRs http://www.wingman26.com/swr.html
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Mileage as of Sep 2014- 44323
pwhoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anti-Guru

Goldwing Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Typically the issue is more with the modlation drive (the amount of voice that you're coloring-in with that 4W max...)

Lots of the headsets and many of the radios don't get you anywhere near fully modulated -- a good radio tech could work you a 'tune' on your CB (Sierra or similar) -- the integrated nature of the 1800's CB will limit the number of shops that can help ya though.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I find that many times the WB or weather Band button on the GL1800 radio will give local weather forcasts from the National Weather Service..... "USA". As for the CB radio's...... they for the most part will not transmit much further than can be seen by the eye, anyway. The Cb is great when riding in groups....... as long as there is not a "chatter-head" in the group!!!
corventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

I've got a weather band set up on the bike but like last Sunday I got caught in the rain and was trying to ask some truckers coming from the opposite direction how long the rain would last and that is when I was told I needed to do something to the power of the CB because I wasn't getting out. I don't always ride in a group and it is nice to talk to someone sometimes. My conversations are usually pretty short. lol Just trying to get more distance out of my system.

I'm not sure I can add a grounding strap and it do any good since I have the aluminum frame.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I completely forgot about that aluminum frame on the 1800's. You might be right about that.....
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Mileage as of Sep 2014- 44323
pwhoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 4-Cylinder GL's
Post imported post

You are going to have to go inside of the transceiver unit and crank the modulation up to 100%. You can be certain it's not even close to 100% stock. I don't know who made the radio for Honda, but someone did, so a schematic is out there somewhere for it. Turning the modulation up will help, but probably only a little. The audio quality from whatever mic you're using could also be upgraded, but that is aminor attempt at a major mod for what you'll get in terms of ability in being heard better. Because of the crappiness of that particular band, CB'ers are always wanting to hear something better than most stock radios and their muddled microphones.

As far as running more power, first tune what you've got... All radios can have their transmitter sections aligned and peak tuned for output. Then there is the tuning of the antenna to get that power out over the air. Your coax connection between the radio and the antenna plays a major part in that too. Adding grounds to the coax outer shield on both ends will help the antenna see a better ground. A ground from the antenna bracket at the base of the antenna will help also. Grounding of the antenna "system" is important in any mobile app., especially on a bike that is too small a footprint anyway for that band. Tune the antenna as close to a nil SWR reading as possible once your grounds are the best you can get them.

Running a small 50-100 watt linear amp will help you get out, but you may end up talking further than you can hear if the above is stuff is not done first. Running more power than that is a waste of money and too taxing on your electrical system IMO. Small 50/75/100 amps can be had that will fit in a standard Cobra 29 sized case replacing the speaker, so finding a spot on your bike for it should be easy enough. You'll have to mount it in a small RF/weather sealed box, which are a dime-a-dozen on the net.

Lastly, any competent radioman can work on the radio, but make sure it's not some CB hack that thinks he knows something about radios. There's a lot of screwdrivers out there tearing-up some radios with less than adequate skillsets calling themselves a"Radioman". CB'er hacks are way too abundant, and a legit Radioman probably won't touch it unless you know him.

Just throwing a amp on a poorly tuned set-up may get you what your looking for, but it would be like riding your bike while it's running on 3 cylinders.

Tune what you got first...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Besides the fact that an amplifier is illegal..........Yeah, I know...."but, everybody's doing it".........the advice you got is spot on. Tune what you have first, and have it done by competent technicians. You will end up with a better sounding and more efficient rig.
IBA #12185
Cloud 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Didn't know a amp was illegal. For sure gonna have it tunes first to see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum