LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1800 darkside # 1496
Post imported post

I have a corbin seat for by 1500, without heat. I am needing to have it re covered or upholstered. I sent a query to corbin about doing it but got no responce. So now I am going to do it myself. I have all the sewing machines as I have a leather business but have not done much with seats. Has anyone ever torn into a corbin and if so what's underneath the cheep naugahide. I cannot beleave the price they charge and then don't put leather on them. Anyway I plan on using full quill ostrich for the seat and thinking about doing a full floral tooling on the side panels and back rests. Wish me luck, any advise let me know. I an just afraid the seat is glued to the foam.

Randy
Hidepounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
A d m i n i s t r a t o r

Goldwing Model: 1994 Aspencade
Post imported post

I have no info for you but would love to see it documented and finished photos.

Join me on facebook Dennis D-Rod Ruda, Hamburg, New York

Button Lady's book website: www.PamLogan.net
D-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

A seat is a seat. There's the pan, the foam, and then the covering (whatever it is), they're all pretty much the same to this extent. You can remove the covering and then disassemble the stitching to reveal the panels to use aspatterns for the new cover you plan to make, or you can make your own templates from paper to use as patterns on the new material if you choose to redo the foam or recontour the foam. You can also add-in heat and air bladders if you like. It's really up to you and your creativity as to what you end-up with, but you're on the right track of getting exactly what you want in the end. Don't worry about the cover being glued to the foam, because if you cannot peal it away without damaging the foam, you can always use a Exacto knife or razor blade and slice it away. Like skinning a Deer, but easier (ha-ha-ha).

A couple of fellas have redone their own seats on here. Here's a thread of one of them. I think he put heat and air in his:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/100611.html

I believe BrokeWinger also redid his, but by hand with no frills. Looks great just the same.
Motor Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1996 and 1985 Aspencades
Garage
Post imported post

I just sold one that needed recovering, but it was definitely leather. under the leather was a layer of clear plastic and then the foam. The local shop said that some of the older ones were actually glued to the foam, but this one was not.
Corbin told me $500 and shipping both ways to redo it, but I bought another nice used one for less.

It's fair to say you could create a market for yourself if you start redoing them.
SidecarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Goldwing Addict :-)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Hidepounder wrote:
Quote:
....I cannot beleave the price they charge and then don't put leather on them....
Randy
I'm confused about this statement Randy. I've personally never seen a Corbin seat that was not leather, or at least appeared to be leather, and they state right on their website that they are made with leather on all panels that contact your body, so maybe the sides are not leather. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks,
John
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Jluvs2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
Hidepounder wrote:
Quote:
....I cannot beleave the price they charge and then don't put leather on them....
Randy
I'm confused about this statement Randy. I've personally never seen a Corbin seat that was not leather, or at least appeared to be leather, and they state right on their website that they are made with leather on all panels that contact your body, so maybe the sides are not leather. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks,
John
This corbin is not leather, I don't know if maybe at some time nagahide was offered as an option. All I know is that I know leather and this is not leather....
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

I plan on taking some picture along the way, Have to design the pattern etc, if you check my web site you will see that I'm into fancy leather stuff so we will see. Don't want to make it too personalized as I may want to trade up some day.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

My Corbin isn't leather....it's velour...and contacting Corbin pretty much is useless...great seat...BAD customer service!

Previously Owned: \'93 Goldwing Trike; \'05 1800ABS ; \'99 GL1500SE Goldwing; \'05 Honda VTX1300R; \'02 Honda Shadow 750 Classic; \'78 CB500; Late 60\'s Triumph 500 & 650.
99winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1996 and 1985 Aspencades
Garage
Post imported post

The Corbin I have now is Marine grade vinyl orNaugahyde, but the one on my Guzzi is definitely leather. They offer them in leather, vinyl, carbon fiber, and something called Husky Fabric. At one time, they even had a red metal flake vinyl on the list.
SidecarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Goldwing Addict :-)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Hidepounder wrote:
Quote:
This corbin is not leather, I don't know if maybe at some time nagahide was offered as an option. All I know is that I know leather and this is not leather....
Interesting, learn something new every day. BTW, wasn't doubting you and I assumed you know leather based on your business. I was just looking for clarification as to whether you were referring to the whole seat or just the sides.

John
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Jluvs2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links