LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

In addition to my 'wing, I also own a VTX 1300 onto which I recently installed a new Champion trike kit. I have had nothing but problems and headaches with it and since many of the members here have trike kits of their Goldwings, I'd like to know if they have had problems with their kits, or if this problem is merely due to the VTX being a new kit for them. As it is right now, I'm ready to get out of the trike ownership population.

ab-nor-mal > not normal; not average; not typical;
not usual, especially to a considerable degree.

Abnormal_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum,And what kind of problems are you haveing?You mentioned recently installed trike kit,I would take it back to whoever installed it and get it fixed.If you did it yourself than its your baby...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

thier are some trike builder on this forum under tec questions post your problems you are having and possible pic's and some may come along and help.

welcome to the forum
mowerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

The problems involved are varied. First off, I will admit that myself and my brother-in-law installed the kit, but I believe the blame falls elsewhere.

Problem #1 - the rearfootrests which come with the kit have the front holes drilled 1/4" too far forward. The response I got from Champion...... "Just redrill the holes, or wallow out the present holes."

Problem #2 - The seat mounting on a Honda VTX 1300 consists of a front slot, a middle locating stud, and a rear bolt. The kit came with the bracket for the rear mount, but no way to install the center locator stud. This forced me to have to fabricate a new bracket which attached to the existing bracket, so that I could mount the rear seat.

Problem #3 - This problem can't be worked around. The body has a recessed area which is supposed to be located at the position which lines up with the bolts that hold on the back of the front seat. On one side it does line up. On the other side, it's approximately 1" too high. The response from Champion...... "Why is this a big deal?"

Problem #4 - After installing the rear assembly, we attempted to install the anti-roll bar ( this is an independant suspension model ), only to find out that it hit the tire on one side. I called Champion and asked what might be the problem. I also sent them pictures of the alignment problem, in hopes that they might know what steps I needed to take to resolve the problem. After talking to Andrew at Champion ( supposedly in cahrge of customer warranty issues)a couple of times, and advising him of the measurements of the mounting brackets on the anti-roll bar, I was told that they would have UPS pick it up and they'd check it out. This was their solution, not mine. It took them five days before UPS ever picked it up. A week later, Andrew called me to say nothing wqas wrong with the roll bar, and that I had to give them my credit card number so they could charge me for the shipping. Bear in mind, if he had been knowledgable about their product, he could have answered my questions over the phone or after the e-mails I sent. As of now, it has been over 15 days since this trike was assembled, and I'm still waiting for the roll bar to be returned. Andrew defended his reasoning, saying that Champion doe NOT align the rear end on their kits, as it would involve too much time, and it's up to the owner to do so. I have no problem with this, but feel that if Champion had a decent customer support system, they'd have been knowledgable enough to advise me of what the problem was........... weeks ago.

My biggest gripe is that I gave more for the trike kit that I gave for the motorcycle when it was new, and All I have to show for it is a dust collector sitting in my garage.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Okay, I did forget one other problem. I wrote to Andrew at Champion and advised him that I did not have a key for the trunk. What was his response? None. He never answered my request and I now have a trunk which I can't securely use. This is not my definition of customer support.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Do you have any Installer/dealers in the area you could talk to for assistance with these issues? Sometimes you get more help from them than the factory because the factory due to todays lawyers will never admit to a mistake. Also possibly your wait for the rollbar is because Champion is waiting for a new one to ship to you.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

There is a dealer about 20 miles from here and I have already decided that I am going to have to take it there in order to get a favorable response from Champion.

I got a call on Friday from Champion, saying that it was my fault due to not properly aligning the top sub-frame to the bottom sub-frame. The only problem with that theory is that the suspension and rear gear are solidly installed into the bottom sub-frame, with no adjustments allowed. Since the mount for the anti-roll bar is part of the lower sub-frame, the upper sub-frame would have no bearing on this problem. Besides, if we had not aligned the two sub-frames correctly, the body would not have lined up and mounted as it should..... which it did do.

I do have to agree with you, though, as it is evident that Champion is doing anything they can think of to disclaim any responsability in this matter.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Im really sorry you are haveing this problem with your trike .
With that expensive kit you should be enjoying your Trike.
Any Dealer for champion anywhere will do the warrenty work .
Im not shure if they will if you installed it yourself.
I was looking to buy a champion kit and install it myself to save money and I was told I Had to buy it from a dealer and have them install it. maybe thigs have changed .
Best of luck with these problems
John3:16
The Road is long winding hilly flat hot cold sun stars AINT IT FUN!!!!
1st bike 125HD in 1969
250Honda Dream
750Honda
10 HD
89aspencade
1994 GL 1500 Trike
Past
-------------------
91HD Maybe Trike project

Lightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

You might if it gets to that point, and the dealer won't help you, check with these two shops....

Houston Cycle Salvage...On Red Bluff Rd....Talk to Tigger or Big Jim.....

Cycle Sports on Clay Rd....Talk to Ken....Very honest guy....

Hope this helps some...

Claude....

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks, I have dealt with Houston Cycle Salvage, but didn't know they were into trikes. I'll run by there and have a chat. I appreciate the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum