Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austone Taxi Tire for the 1500

30K views 107 replies 37 participants last post by  haroldaugustine 
#1 ·
imported post

There are other references to the Austone Taxi Tire (175R16) on the Forum but no thread devoted to it as there is for the Federal/Formoza that some of you are using. Thought I’d make it easier for those doing a search. I know that Saibeer and mwhit 1500 installed them and will hopefully give their opinions as well, though I know they have weighed in on other threads/forums.

I did my due diligence and decided to try an Austone Taxi Tire on my ‘97SE. Radial. 175R16 that equates to about 175/80-16 I’m told. Only Q-rated (99 mph). 6 ply rating but sidewalls still feel softer than my Pilot GT. Tread width -5.5”, height – 26.9”. Running 45 lbs, though it calls for 55 lbs and 1650 lb load capacity (The website says 36 but the sidewall says 55).

https://www.universaltire.com/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

Why the Austone?

a) Increases the height of the seat by about an inch. My 34” inseam legs are long enough that I can still flat-foot on both sides with the shocks @ 60lbs. Feels comfortable to me.
b) (a) gives me about 200 rpm at speeds above 60 mph. I’m now running 2600 @ 60, 2750 @ 65, 3000 @ 70, 3250 @ 75. And to me it makes a difference. Never tried to shift to ‘6[sup]th[/sup]’ once today.
c) The tire is more ‘rounded’ on the edges (shallower radius) than the others that will fit on the 1500s. While reports of other CTs indicate a positive counter-steer is required through corners, this tire does not. See below for more on that.
d) This tire is rated for over 100,000 miles. The only reason I may ever change it is due to damage or age. Price is cheaper than an E3 by a few bucks but I hope to only have to buy one in my lifetime, not one a year.

Let me begin by describing my riding style. For those of you downhill skiers in the crowd I’d be categorized as a mostly Blue rider that delves into the Black Diamond runs from time to time. I can and will scrap ‘em if I’m so moved but am happy scooting through twisties with a bit of leash. Rarely will I see anything above 75 mph on the ‘Wing riding down the slabs. Don’t see the need. See my signature. I have a Valk for days when I need to clear the cobwebs.

Initial Impression: Popped on like a slipper. A good dose of detergent on the beads and it snapped into place at 40 lbs. No problem installing and the slight mod at the front flap to avoid rubbing took 30 seconds prior to tire installation. Good clearance on both sides, front and top (pics to come). But this is one tall tire. The bike goes onto the center stand about as easily as the side stand goes down. I may have to carry a piece of 1 X 4 to put under the stand because I have only about 1 inch of clearance between the tire and the floor in the garage. Put this thing on the center stand in a vulnerable place and it could just walk off the stand on its own. It’s a shade narrower than the Pilot GT I just took off but its round enough on the edges that most people won’t even recognize it as a CT unless I tell them.

Riding the Slabs – Wow! Quiet, smooth, solid, predictable. At anything over 60 mph this tire just cruises along and within 50 miles you’ve forgotten you’re riding a CT and start enjoying the scenery. And I looked for trouble. Cracks between lanes, tar snakes (85 out today so they were soft), ruts carved into the blacktop by 18-wheelers. By comparison this tire dwarfs the performance of the GT. And I was as disappointed as anyone when they discontinued the GTs. They were great tires. Very little wander in the ruts or grooved pavement. Seems like the front (Pilot GT) is more responsible for any shimmy I do feel. Not that there is much. As I said, I was looking for trouble.

Back Roads – This tire seems to smooth the road out a good bit. Very little jumping around compared to the Pilot. Patches of rough or repaired blacktop pose no problem or wandering. Railroad tracks, even angled crossings present no surprises. And I even stopped and adjusted the suspension down to 25 lbs and did them again to see if I’d bottom out. Nope. No rubbing at any point. After about 100 miles I got comfortable enough to do the 60 mph sweepers hands-free. No counter-steer required. Just lean into it and then lean back.

Gravel – I have an apples-to-apples comparison for this one. One of my local rides involves a 10 mile jaunt over gravel. Tried to ride it last week right after a maintainer had spread loose gravel all over the road. Didn’t even make it a mile on the Pilot before I turned my tail and headed for home. Today I rode that same road and its still in about the same shape it was last week. Swore I would do the whole thing and see what happened. Started out pretty timid but it took next to no time and I was whizzing along at 55 mph. I grew up on dirt bikes but I rarely would ever have tried 55 on a ‘Wing on gravel before. Felt rock solid and had room to do more. But I have no need or desire to ride gravel. I will say that construction zones will no longer cause the sweat to form on my brow.

Crosswinds – had a 25 mph crosswind for about 75 miles and was curious how the tire would react. The Pilot always just did a lean into the wind but held a good line. Same is true for the Austone with less lean. The flat footprint of the Austone holds the line very well. Look forward to heading out in one of our Praire gales to see how it really handles.

Twisties and wet roads – Jury is out. We, a) have no twisties within 700 miles and, b) are going through a drought with no hope of rain for some time. But from reports from others using this tire I doubt I’ll be disappointed.

Pulling a Trailer – Again, the jury is out and I will post an update once I’ve pulled the Leisurelite a few miles with it.

The Very Good – Stopping power. I should have done a test to see what the stopping distance from 60 was with the Pilot. I’m positive this tire shortens it by at least a few feet. That is major for a bike that pulls a trailer a good bit of the time. Like my father used to say, “Anything can go fast but not just anything can stop on a dime. Always know how you’ll do the second before you try the first.” The ‘second’ improved dramatically today.

The Bad – The Austone does not like slow speeds. It handles extremely well in the parking lot doing figure 8s but out on the street traveling at 30-45 mph it seems to want to jump all over the place finding a line. Not enough to scare me. Just enough to make me pay attention. Am interested to see how that will feel on a wet road. Had to tell myself to relax a few times until I got used to the feeling. Don’t know if that’s a reflection of our pitiful roads or of the tire. It’s worth noting so that you’re not surprised if you decide to try one.

I hate driving in the city as it is so the slow driving thing is a non-issue for me. 90% of my miles are out on the open road.

Though I have only ridden the tire for 400 miles I am quite impressed by it. And I’m told it gets better as it wears in. If that’s true then I will not be going back to a MT.

Remember, this is just my opinion. Your experience may be different. I’m only putting it out there for your information. File where you feel appropriate. I will not take offense.

Here's some pics ( if the pics are too big could one of the mods drop me a PM and I'll resize them):

See less See more
#80 ·
I have a Corbin Seat and a 29" inseam. The added height was a huge concern when I got my Austone as with the regular MC tire I couldn't really flat foot it comfortably with both heels on the ground. I put the Austone on and don't see that much of a difference, Im fine.

I didn't have to tie the front of my fender off, I had plenty of room. Riding 2 up, with rear pressure at 20 - 25, if we hit a really hard bump I might here it rub, if I run pressures up to 45 +, It doesn't hit at all.

I did end up playing with the tire pressures as it didn't handle well at higher speed 65+ MPH. I put the rear tire at 50 psi cold and the front E3 at 41, seems to be better handling.

#81 ·
Okay, I don't have the perfect tools for this. I used a wide bar clamp and tightened to a light drag across the tire. I measured this gap at 6.5" +/- 1/16". This is at a point 5" greater radius than the outside edge of the brake rotor on a 1988.

Hope this helps.

#82 ·
Cool. We (my young daughter and I) got the same numbers (except for distance from rim which we did not check).
Guess the little girl is good for a lot of things!

#83 ·
By these measurements it seems that the Austone is exactly the same width at the bulge in the sidewall and at about the same location off of the rim. Your rotor is smaller than the rotor on the 2000 rim I have. So now the only issue would be is it physically too tall to fit. I think it will fit in everywhere with a possible rub by about 1/16th of an inch at one spot in the front corner of the swing arm. Impossible to tell for sure until it is inserted there, and not sure how I feel about attacking the offending metal flange with an angle grinder.
:shock:
This location would be just under 3/8" from the edge of the EIII's tread on one side only, the rest has plenty of room. Note that this tight spot would also be affected by the narrower tread at that same location too.

I also see that the Austones have become a lot more expensive whilst we have been discussing this, perhaps I will bring one back from the UK with me as check in luggage later this year? They are only 48 pounds sterling over there, (about $80.00)
:ssshh:

#84 ·
perhaps I will bring one back from the UK with me as check in luggage later this year? They are only 48 pounds sterling over there, (about $80.00)
:ssshh:
Heck, just slip it down around your waste and just say you have a spare tire. Wonder if your wife would go for that too? :shock:

#85 ·
I want to say I paid about $175 shipped. But, it should give close to double the life of the E3, so cost per mile is very nice.

#86 ·
GL1200 now a double darkside.

Sometime ago I installed a Battleaxe rear tire (reversed) upon the front wheel and that made a really nice improvement, especially with more than twice the tread depth on it, zero noise and zero vibration in the grips.

Then I installed a GL1500 rear end on the 1200 with an awful EIII rear tire that was badly cupped on the sides that howled at me all the time, but especially when I would lean the bike over. The wheel was 1 1/2" larger in diameter than the EII on the 15" 1200's rim, and it dropped the RPM's by almost 300 at fast freeway speeds.

Then today I installed the Austone Taxi tire that I brought back from England with me last month upon the spare GL1500 rim the Newday777 (Stu) gave me a few days ago and installed it up under the bike. What a wonderful man he is, thanks again Stu. :claps::claps::claps:

It was a very very tight fit up into the 1200's swing-arm. This tire is a good inch larger diameter than the EIII, and I did have to use a hammer, and some black paint, to 'alter' the swing-arm slightly to fit the front corner of the tire at one side. I also added more zip ties to the inner fender, and even had to bend the corner of the center stand stop about 1mm.

Took her for a test ride and there is zero rubbing, feels OK but I only rode around the block a couple of times doing tight circles and testing the bumps. Even at lowest suspension she is not rubbing.

I Currently have it aired up to 40psi, of course I will need to try a few other pressures, and get some more seat time in to give a good report on this tire, I will also have to scrub off the nubs and coating before testing it completely. As far as leaning it over it felt just like a used motorcycle tire.

#87 ·
I'm running 48# in my Austone and 53#-55#in the suspension. I haven't experienced the low speed issues you are. I have done a lot of highway miles in the rain, and and tell you the grip is awesome! Shortly after putting on my Austone, I put an Excedra Max radial on the front of my 1500. I now have over 13k on the rear and around 12K on the front. I originally tried it to get more mileage out of my tires.The best wear I previously got on a rear was 12k and that was completely used up.With over 13k on the rear, it is showing a little wear, but not much. I added dyna beads to the front for balancing and with over 12k, there is no evidence of cupping with this tire. It is wearing, but the wear has been even. When it's time, I'll be doing the same combination again.

#88 ·
A similar rear tire

Running the Vredestein Comtrac rear 175/75 for the past 22K miles.
I used up a BattlAx BT45 rear reversed at 19K (however it cupped and was noisy since 11K).
Now I am running a Dunlop EIII on the front...
NOISY when running 70 MPH straight up but it works fine in corners and at lower speeds.
Dynabeads in every tire.
I will consider going back to a standard Motorcycle tires set when these are used up ...

I miss the Michelin Pilot GT's :needahug:

#89 ·
Too bad the Vredstein is no longer available in that size. It might be perfecter than the Austone even.

#90 ·
#92 ·
Newbie from over the water here so be gentle. I've been reading a lot on the fitting of a car tyre to the rear of a 1500 Wing but has anybody fitted one with a sidecar attached? If so, what tyre did you fit? Any trouble setting off from a standstill? I have an E3 on there at the moment and it isn't going to last much longer. I may as well fit a CT now. A photo of my outfit is in the sidecar section. Any info gratefully received.

#93 ·
Austone is an 80 series tire so it is taller then the E3. (175/80-16) That might give you a problem with the hack setups.

I have been running a Vredestein 175/75-16 on my 1500(no hack) and it is the same height as E3 (both mounted side by side) We can no longer get them here in the states but you may be able to there, search that tire size as I think Dunlap offered one over there also.

#94 ·
I just put my Austone on this week and am running 42 psi with 60 in shocks. I had a Goodyear Assurance Rain Max on before this and have about 35k plus miles on a CT to compare.
With my Goodyear I lost about 3/8' height which meant higher RPM and a loss of mpg. I was absolutely amazed yesterday on the Austone and was truly impressed with handling and top end rpm. It did raise my seat about 1" but is very quiet and for no more than I got to play on it , it was impressive.
I do have a question for anyone who may can help. We flipped the rubber flap over to try to avoid rub but I am scraping some in dips and bumps. I increased the shock to 70 psi but still have some rub.
Can anyone please help me with advice of how to remedy this. Other than that I feel like I have a different bike and I am loving it. BTW I weigh 212# so I am not extremely heavy and we do like to ride 2 up a lot so I need to get this rectified.
Also I am a true darksider and run a rear Avon on the front of which I am also liking.

#95 ·
Most people remove the battery box and zip tie the front of the lower rear fender in/up just a bit. I still rubbed a bit and have a couple small holes in the part of the flap. I am going to rivet a piece of soda can to the back of the flap this spring (or maybe a small scrap of rubber) and move mine just a tad more to try and not let it touch. I only run around 45 in the shocks and for my body weight and riding 45 in the tire has been great (I weigh about 160). Currently around 25k on the Austone. I may well try the other offering from Universal in this size when I replace it, probably this spring. I would rather change it before it completely needs it than wait and forget about it until I have a problem, plus in the spring I take it apart for cleaning and maintenance.

#96 ·
Austone tire size

Does the Austone tire only come in one size(175R-16)? And where is the best place here in the states to get one? Looking to put one on a 99 Gl1500 w/ Hannigan car.

#97 ·
That is the only size, and the only place I know of to get one is
universaltire.com

unless you find someone selling one in the for sale forum...

I am not a side car person myself, but with the added weight and such a slightly smaller diameter might be better (?) like the 175/60 offerings many others like to use? The Austone lowers RPM at any given speed by about 250. This might make first gear take off's use more clutch slipping to get going.

#98 ·
The from-a-stop-takeoff is honestly no different than MT. A slight adjustment on the drivers part for throttle vs clutch engagement is all there is. It still leaves the line with little effort. I'm up to about 8,000 miles on my Austone with no noticeable tread wear. I would need to measure it to tell it has worn at this point.
It is quiet and smooth. My front E3 is beginning to make some noise on turns and it was put on at the same time. Still looks good though.

#99 ·
The lower rpm's by using an Austone, would be nice to help the mpg figures, but the taller does concern me regarding having to ride the clutch a bit to get this heavy thing rolling. So I agree that the shorter tire would benefit me there, and the higher rpm and lower mpg aren't a big deal. I was more concerned that the 175/60R-16 Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max SL would lower the bike too much. I now have to weigh the pros and cons of each. I really thank everyone for their input. That's what makes this forum sooo great!

#100 ·
Don't even consider the clutch thing as a negative. It just doesn't present itself that way. Its kinda like going from an old worn out clutch that you got used to, to a new one that is instantly as it should be. Or new tires on a car that had some beat up nasties on it. Takes about 1 quick ride to get accustomed to it.

#101 ·
Got into it today and installed the Goodyear. Hannigan uses a mounting bracket that goes under the swingarm from right to left, right in front of the rear tire. It was so close to the stock E3 MT that I don't think that an Austone would have fit. The Goodyear went in just fine. It did lower the bike by approx. 1". I'll just run up the air in the suspension to compensate, and the added rpm's won't really hurt me. The gas mileage already sucks, so a little more suck won't hurt either. Wish me luck!
Thanks to all who gave input... I really appreciate it!

#105 ·
That was easy enough...
TG ... For this site and All you guys on here...
I think the trick was leaving out in the sun for a few hours...
Thanks Everyone

Now how the heck do I get the Drive Shaft back in???

Jay

Attachments

#106 ·
Hi Folks
Just wanted to add my experience to those who have used or are curious about the Austone Taxi tire being used on the GL1500.
I had mine installed at 239,104 KM. The vast majority of my riding is two up and mostly 80-110 KPH speeds. I have to add that we regularly bend and break the GVWR weight rating for the bike (Thank God the SO doesn't read this forum!). After a week with the tire I was convinced and don't think I will ever change back to bike tire again. The most mileage that I ever achieved from a Dunlop E3 was 28,000 KM. I removed my Austone tonight with 47,336 KM on it. The Austone did cost about $60.00 CDN more than the Dunlop but most of that was shipping. Loved the reduction in RPM at highway speeds and there was very little change in how I had to pull away from a stop. Found the tire to be much quieter than the E3 and it felt very stable when leaned over. Ran 52 PSI in the tire and usually run the shocks at 4.35 or a little higher if the bags and trunk are full. I felt very confident with the tire in rainy conditions. I did not have any rubbing or clearance problems after I increased the rear shock pressures. It does increase the height of the bike a bit and does make it lean at a greater angle when parked on the side stand.
Just my 2 cents folks, take care and ride safe!
Medicj

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.