Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austone Taxi Tire for the 1500

31K views 107 replies 37 participants last post by  haroldaugustine 
#1 ·
imported post

There are other references to the Austone Taxi Tire (175R16) on the Forum but no thread devoted to it as there is for the Federal/Formoza that some of you are using. Thought I’d make it easier for those doing a search. I know that Saibeer and mwhit 1500 installed them and will hopefully give their opinions as well, though I know they have weighed in on other threads/forums.

I did my due diligence and decided to try an Austone Taxi Tire on my ‘97SE. Radial. 175R16 that equates to about 175/80-16 I’m told. Only Q-rated (99 mph). 6 ply rating but sidewalls still feel softer than my Pilot GT. Tread width -5.5”, height – 26.9”. Running 45 lbs, though it calls for 55 lbs and 1650 lb load capacity (The website says 36 but the sidewall says 55).

https://www.universaltire.com/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

Why the Austone?

a) Increases the height of the seat by about an inch. My 34” inseam legs are long enough that I can still flat-foot on both sides with the shocks @ 60lbs. Feels comfortable to me.
b) (a) gives me about 200 rpm at speeds above 60 mph. I’m now running 2600 @ 60, 2750 @ 65, 3000 @ 70, 3250 @ 75. And to me it makes a difference. Never tried to shift to ‘6[sup]th[/sup]’ once today.
c) The tire is more ‘rounded’ on the edges (shallower radius) than the others that will fit on the 1500s. While reports of other CTs indicate a positive counter-steer is required through corners, this tire does not. See below for more on that.
d) This tire is rated for over 100,000 miles. The only reason I may ever change it is due to damage or age. Price is cheaper than an E3 by a few bucks but I hope to only have to buy one in my lifetime, not one a year.

Let me begin by describing my riding style. For those of you downhill skiers in the crowd I’d be categorized as a mostly Blue rider that delves into the Black Diamond runs from time to time. I can and will scrap ‘em if I’m so moved but am happy scooting through twisties with a bit of leash. Rarely will I see anything above 75 mph on the ‘Wing riding down the slabs. Don’t see the need. See my signature. I have a Valk for days when I need to clear the cobwebs.

Initial Impression: Popped on like a slipper. A good dose of detergent on the beads and it snapped into place at 40 lbs. No problem installing and the slight mod at the front flap to avoid rubbing took 30 seconds prior to tire installation. Good clearance on both sides, front and top (pics to come). But this is one tall tire. The bike goes onto the center stand about as easily as the side stand goes down. I may have to carry a piece of 1 X 4 to put under the stand because I have only about 1 inch of clearance between the tire and the floor in the garage. Put this thing on the center stand in a vulnerable place and it could just walk off the stand on its own. It’s a shade narrower than the Pilot GT I just took off but its round enough on the edges that most people won’t even recognize it as a CT unless I tell them.

Riding the Slabs – Wow! Quiet, smooth, solid, predictable. At anything over 60 mph this tire just cruises along and within 50 miles you’ve forgotten you’re riding a CT and start enjoying the scenery. And I looked for trouble. Cracks between lanes, tar snakes (85 out today so they were soft), ruts carved into the blacktop by 18-wheelers. By comparison this tire dwarfs the performance of the GT. And I was as disappointed as anyone when they discontinued the GTs. They were great tires. Very little wander in the ruts or grooved pavement. Seems like the front (Pilot GT) is more responsible for any shimmy I do feel. Not that there is much. As I said, I was looking for trouble.

Back Roads – This tire seems to smooth the road out a good bit. Very little jumping around compared to the Pilot. Patches of rough or repaired blacktop pose no problem or wandering. Railroad tracks, even angled crossings present no surprises. And I even stopped and adjusted the suspension down to 25 lbs and did them again to see if I’d bottom out. Nope. No rubbing at any point. After about 100 miles I got comfortable enough to do the 60 mph sweepers hands-free. No counter-steer required. Just lean into it and then lean back.

Gravel – I have an apples-to-apples comparison for this one. One of my local rides involves a 10 mile jaunt over gravel. Tried to ride it last week right after a maintainer had spread loose gravel all over the road. Didn’t even make it a mile on the Pilot before I turned my tail and headed for home. Today I rode that same road and its still in about the same shape it was last week. Swore I would do the whole thing and see what happened. Started out pretty timid but it took next to no time and I was whizzing along at 55 mph. I grew up on dirt bikes but I rarely would ever have tried 55 on a ‘Wing on gravel before. Felt rock solid and had room to do more. But I have no need or desire to ride gravel. I will say that construction zones will no longer cause the sweat to form on my brow.

Crosswinds – had a 25 mph crosswind for about 75 miles and was curious how the tire would react. The Pilot always just did a lean into the wind but held a good line. Same is true for the Austone with less lean. The flat footprint of the Austone holds the line very well. Look forward to heading out in one of our Praire gales to see how it really handles.

Twisties and wet roads – Jury is out. We, a) have no twisties within 700 miles and, b) are going through a drought with no hope of rain for some time. But from reports from others using this tire I doubt I’ll be disappointed.

Pulling a Trailer – Again, the jury is out and I will post an update once I’ve pulled the Leisurelite a few miles with it.

The Very Good – Stopping power. I should have done a test to see what the stopping distance from 60 was with the Pilot. I’m positive this tire shortens it by at least a few feet. That is major for a bike that pulls a trailer a good bit of the time. Like my father used to say, “Anything can go fast but not just anything can stop on a dime. Always know how you’ll do the second before you try the first.” The ‘second’ improved dramatically today.

The Bad – The Austone does not like slow speeds. It handles extremely well in the parking lot doing figure 8s but out on the street traveling at 30-45 mph it seems to want to jump all over the place finding a line. Not enough to scare me. Just enough to make me pay attention. Am interested to see how that will feel on a wet road. Had to tell myself to relax a few times until I got used to the feeling. Don’t know if that’s a reflection of our pitiful roads or of the tire. It’s worth noting so that you’re not surprised if you decide to try one.

I hate driving in the city as it is so the slow driving thing is a non-issue for me. 90% of my miles are out on the open road.

Though I have only ridden the tire for 400 miles I am quite impressed by it. And I’m told it gets better as it wears in. If that’s true then I will not be going back to a MT.

Remember, this is just my opinion. Your experience may be different. I’m only putting it out there for your information. File where you feel appropriate. I will not take offense.

Here's some pics ( if the pics are too big could one of the mods drop me a PM and I'll resize them):

See less See more
#107 ·
You look to be ON the wear bars, medicj, so I think mileage is comparable: I believe I was at 33k miles on mine with some tread left. Agree that it is awesome in the rain, quieter, smoother, and still peg-scrapeable!

#108 ·
I love my Austone that I put on over the winter. Went double dark with the Battlax BT45 up front. After riding in the rain for 3 straight hours and never felt it hydro, slip or anything else weird, I am a believer. Never another MC tire on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.