LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
My Uncle is NUTS! He's...

Goldwing Model: Well...
Garage
Post imported post

BACKON2 wrote:
Quote:
Can the heated liners be used with the stock alternator. And if so how many liners.
Yes but just like a bank account you can't spend more than you get (for long).

If you don't have other large loads and your stock alternator is putting out as a new one will, you could easily add two heated jacket liners and gloves without too much problem but you may want to shut them off if running under 1500 RPM for very long since the stock alternator barely charges at all, at idle and with these loads you would easily be discharging.

Sadly true, but if this isn't you, consider using the following 3 tools:

1. Tails Live DVD/Flash anonymity OS
https://tails.boum.org (free)

2. Use a VPN connection when in public or home like
https://ProXPN.com) (free vers avail)

3. Send Text messages, pics and vids privately
Threema app (iOS or Android, $1.99)
I use them all. Feel free to ask.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 95 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Well its a drizzly rainy day here in northern IL so I spent the afternoon in the garage working on the Wing. I removed my old worn out electric grips and installed new ones as well as wired my new harness for my jacket. I tested everything out and it all seems to work fine.

1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 SE
Mileage: 103472
Parman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: 2006 GL1800
Post imported post

Gerbings, gloves and jacket liner, I love 'em! I made an aluminum bracket and mounted it using longer cap screws through the clutch perch clamp. The dual Gerbings controller clips onto the aluminum bracket making it very easy to change the controller setting. I put an o-ring under each controller knob so it wasn't so easy to turn. The extra friction makes it a lot easier to readjust the heat when wearing gloves. I strung the two conductor wire from the battery ( with a fuse at the battery) to the left cubby and brought out a female connector that lays alongside the DIN cable and connector for the headsets. I made up an extension cable from the controller cable that goes to my jacket and glvoes. I tried it with the controller attached to my jacket but found it awkward to adjust without having the controller solidly mounted. Now I can adjust it without taking my eyes off the road ahead.
exavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1800
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
GWNorman wrote:
Quote:
Rudy wrote:
Quote:
My liner saved my bunns this morning. Was freezing on an early ride and the cold was coming right through my leather jacket.....
You mean it gets cold in Georgia? for some reason I expected Georgia to be one of the always warm states.
It does get into the 20's and teens F in the winter but this time I just under-dressed and waited too long to get something on until I was getting good and chilled.

You, underdressed, now that's a site I'ld like to.........................on second thought, maybe I don't really wanna see that afterall. Being cold, is only a metal thing, right?

also had a 1986 Honda Sei1200
luddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
My Uncle is NUTS! He's...

Goldwing Model: Well...
Garage
Post imported post

luddy wrote:
Quote:
Rudy wrote:
Quote:
GWNorman wrote:
Quote:
Rudy wrote:
Quote:
My liner saved my bunns this morning. Was freezing on an early ride and the cold was coming right through my leather jacket.....
You mean it gets cold in Georgia? for some reason I expected Georgia to be one of the always warm states.
It does get into the 20's and teens F in the winter but this time I just under-dressed and waited too long to get something on until I was getting good and chilled.
You, underdressed, now that's a site I'ld like to.........................on second thought, maybe I don't really wanna see that afterall. Being cold, is only a metal thing, right?
Yes, being cold is a metal thing. I have parts in me that have never seen cold and when the parts around them start in complaining, I get the heat going one way or another.
And you are right me under dressed is not for the timid or weak, elderly or infants.
Sadly true, but if this isn't you, consider using the following 3 tools:

1. Tails Live DVD/Flash anonymity OS
https://tails.boum.org (free)

2. Use a VPN connection when in public or home like
https://ProXPN.com) (free vers avail)

3. Send Text messages, pics and vids privately
Threema app (iOS or Android, $1.99)
I use them all. Feel free to ask.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Just another ORF!

Goldwing Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Seeing as I have an Aspencade, with no factory installed CB, I mounted my power outlet for my heated gear in the knockout panel where the CB usually resides, running the fused harness in behind the faux tank.
I mount the heat controller on the end of my Firecreek Tank Bag, closest to me, along with a 1' extension cord, so it's easy to see/regulate and I can get off the bike to fuel up, without 'unplugging'.

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Bill W.

Goldwing Model: 1994 Interstate 1500
Garage
Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
Seeing as I have an Aspencade, with no factory installed CB, I mounted my power outlet for my heated gear in the knockout panel where the CB usually resides, running the fused harness in behind the faux tank.
I mount the heat controller on the end of my Firecreek Tank Bag, closest to me, along with a 1' extension cord, so it's easy to see/regulate and I can get off the bike to fuel up, without 'unplugging'.

Dusty,

This is a great idea. I have an Interstate that doesn't have the air compressor controls, so I will mount my electrics here. Beats the zip tied connection hanging out from under the seat.

Thanks!
larryinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Post imported post

As an added bonus, if you wired directly into the battery, get an adapter for a battery charger to plug into the Gerbing's supply cord.

Also, if you wired directly into the battery, don't forget to either unplug or turn off the controller when you turn off the ignition. Heated gear can run down a battery fairly quick, especially in cold weather.
\'06 GL1800 ABS 24k miles

jlbc212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:

That's a really nice setup Dusty. Very clean. I only have the gloves right now but I'm looking to add the vest soon. Will the gloves connect directly to the vest?
JackfromCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Just another ORF!

Goldwing Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

They will connect to a jacket liner(there are connections for the gloves in a 'pocket' hidden in each sleeve) but am pretty sure there are no such connections in a vest.

You'll need a special glove Y harnessto run your gloves. If you onlyhave a single heat troller, than you are only safely able to run one piece of heated gear at a time. You can cheat and buy a small splitter cable and plug each piece into it and then plug that into your single heat troller, but I've found that the different pieces of gear require different heat settings when run that way. Best to have a dual heat controller and plug each piece into it's own outlet.

Dusty

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum