Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictures of the Austone Taxi Tire on the Valkyrie!

24K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Wingsconsin 
#1 ·
imported post

The 175R70/16 Austone Tire went on as easy as the Dunlop E3 I installed last year. At their widest spots both tires were 7 inches wide. I serviced the splines with fresh moly paste, installed new double roller bearings in the rear wheel along with new seals and installed the wheel and tire. It slid past the differential with no problems and the rest of the install was just as easy.

The car tire is almost an inch taller thant the E3. The E3 is worn down to the wear bars on the top as well as the sides so the car tire looks very tall beside the worn E3.

Here is the car tire installed. Plenty of room between the swing arms and plenty of room in the fender.

Another picture of the tire installed. I had 40 pounds of air in the tire and lowered the pressure to 36 pounds.

I rode the bike around town and was surprised at how effortless it was to press into the turns and hold the press through them. The tire will hold you on a straighter line and I like that because I find it easier to hit the apex of the turns by pressing a little later. It straightens just as effortlessly coming out of the turns. The ride was smooth and, all-in-all, I think I am going to enjoy putting a lot of miles on this tire!

I will put a couple hundred miles on it tomorrow and I believe it will even get better!

Dubs

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Dubs, what is the width of your rim and did you measure the width of the tire after mounted or before?

#5 ·
imported post

oharaLTD, I really don't know what the width of my rim is. I know they are using this tire on the GL1800s and most Valk riders are running a much wider tire. A guess would be 4 1/2 to 5 inches. I guessed at the width by placing a ruler over the tires and eyeballing the measurement. A very scientific meathod.

rgbeard, I know what you mean. Most riders are pressing and they don't even realize it! I press into the turns and even help by pulling up with the opposite hand. Makes "pressing" much easier.

TXRLGL1500, It depends on what tire is used on the 1500. If it is a 16 inch rim and about 7 inches wide, it should fit. I know that there are 1500s out there running car tires. Hopefully Rudy and others will chime in.

I'm going to fix a nice breakfast now while I wait for it to warm up a little more and then go for a nice long ride on this new tire!:action:

Dubs

#6 ·
imported post

I'm running a Federal Formosa - 165 / 70/ 16

also choices - Austone Taxi tire - 175 / 80 / 16

General G Max AS - 195 / 55 / 16

Dunlop Wintersport 3 Runflat

There are others being used as I"m sure you will soon hear about.

Ride Safe :action::action:

#7 ·
imported post

Here is an update after riding 167 miles on the Austone today. The tire has none of the bad traits I have seen listed before. Like grooves and high/low spots pulling you all over the road. This tire doesn't do that. The tire runs quiet and smooth; bottoming it out in dips and bumps does not cause it to rub and does not react any differently than my E3 did. Big sweeping curves are great on this tire even pushing hard and leaning hard into them. Hard tight mountain curves are no different than the E3 I just replaced. I really like this tire. For my riding styles, slow and easy, fast and hard or practicing slow tight figure eights, quick stops are no different than using a motorcycle tire. I haven't ridden in the rain but I cant believe there will be any difference other than maby better traction. I'm sold on this tire and how it handles.

Dubs

#9 ·
imported post

Desert Wings, my RPMs were lowered by 200, which is good for the riding I like to do.

Dubs

#12 ·
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
Ok, I admit to not searching the archives but here goes.
Dub, will that tire fit the back of a GL1500. I am sure tempted to do this.
Thanks
David
Yes, it fits the 1500. I have the Taxi on mine and Dusty has it on his now and so do some other folks.

There is a little mud flap that should be bent out of the way or the tire rubs a little.
I did not bend mine like I should have, over 3K miles now and no problem, though I get the little growley scapping noise at times on hard bumps and such. No problem for me, just a little glossy look on the outer treads, no cuts or anything, just annoying noise once in awhile. Course I only ride single loaded with gear and no trailer.
I will be pulling the wheel again this winter and I will bend the flap then.

I been on some nasty roads and really like the ride and handling of the Taxi.
Last night I rode through Memphis and the road was a mess where I was.
Heavy trucks have pressed the ruts in the road down about 3-4" at the intersections.
First couple I stopped at with a red light was what the heck my wing shrunk LOL
I was in the low spot and my feet on the high spots on each side ot the tire ruts.
Taxi handled those bad ruts just fine rather I had to stop in them for red lights or run through on green lights.

#13 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Here is an update after riding 167 miles on the Austone today. The tire has none of the bad traits I have seen listed before. Like grooves and high/low spots pulling you all over the road. This tire doesn't do that. The tire runs quiet and smooth; bottoming it out in dips and bumps does not cause it to rub and does not react any differently than my E3 did. Big sweeping curves are great on this tire even pushing hard and leaning hard into them. Hard tight mountain curves are no different than the E3 I just replaced. I really like this tire. For my riding styles, slow and easy, fast and hard or practicing slow tight figure eights, quick stops are no different than using a motorcycle tire. I haven't ridden in the rain but I cant believe there will be any difference other than maby better traction. I'm sold on this tire and how it handles.

Dubs
I agree for all the riding types I did on my trip also the tire was great.

I DID hit really hard bad cold rains in the mountains the Sunday of Front Royal meet.
From Cumberland MD to Fairmont WV I rode interstate in driving rains.
The cages where going slower than me LOL
Not a slip or hydroplane and the only reasons for slowing down was when I could not see the road well due to rain or fog or when I was just too darned cold to go over 55-60 LOL
Also I had to slow when stuck in a line of trucks and cages.

How it would handle twisties in the rain I don't know, but Interstate was great.

Also I think my braking in the rain was probably better, I know it was very good for me.
I made a couple stops to get warmed up, traction to stop and go was good on wet roads. For sure I think better than on the 1100 with Spitfire tires last year in heavy rain, though I have not rode much rain on the 1500 other than then that I recall.

#14 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Desert Wings, my RPMs were lowered by 200, which is good for the riding I like to do.

Dubs
That is about what I see on my 1500 wing also.

There is only one very slight drawback I see with this tire, and that's just me.
I think I have to push a little faster to roll start on level ground since the taller tire turns a little slower LOL
But Like I said, that's just me :ROFL:

Even that has not been any problem though, just takes a second try sometimes :D

I do plan to get that little gear installed this winter so I can use the starter as I should.

#16 ·
imported post

Redeye, Google Austone Taxi Tire and you should be able to go to Universal Vintage Tire's web site. They are in PA. $At $143.00 plus approx $16.00 shipping and a 3 day delivery; I am totally pleased so far.

Dubs

#17 ·
imported post

That is where I bought mine also.

Totally happy.
About 3-4K miles and still looks new too.

#18 ·
imported post

Chromo,

I really liked how easy this tire was to install. It is as easy as a M/C. The tire on the wheel fits between the diff and swing arm just as easily as when I removed it with the E3 on it. After having it on for a couple weeks now, I can say there is no difference in the feel of the bike with this tire. I know this weekend's ride will be more enjoyable because this tire has a quieter and more comfortable ride!

Dubs

#19 ·
imported post

I did my famous Branson run again yesterday, well half of it anyway I came home a different way this time.

I've rode that road quite a few times on the E3 I took off, I liked the taxi tire better on this run than I ever did the E3.
Those road patches where they put the patch only half way across a lane and it has that ridge being patch is thicker above the road, Taxi Tire handles those better for me than the E3 ever did. Not nearly the wobble/sway if I get caught on the edge or cross over it. Had to a couple times to avoid road kill.
Tar snakes don't bother me as much now either.
Also hit some concrete in HY with the cut grooves several places, would not have known it was there if I had not seen it.

#21 ·
imported post

I'll have to get one, when my Goodyear TT wears out, in 3-4 years.

#22 ·
imported post

The Goodyear TT is a very good looking tire. The only reason I didn't go with it is it is lower than the Austone and I wanted a tire as close to the same height as the E3 as I could get. But in reality does 200 RPM more or less make a big difference? Probably not.

Dubs

#23 ·
imported post

FWIW - When I switched from the Federal Formoza (175/60-16) to the Dunlop Austone Taxi Tire (175R-16) there was an overalldrop of 400 - 450RPM @ 60 mph. No real difference in fuel mileage, but there is a difference with that 400 RPM drop .... in throttle response in top gear and take off ease. I have to throttle up a bit for take off, whereas I could just release the clutch lever without any extra throttle with the smaller diameter Formoza. The Formoza also provide faster, more instantaneous throttle response in top gear roll-ons, while there is a 'lag' with the Austone, at the same speed.

With my Austone on, @ 3,000 RPM I am doing 70 mph. IIRC, with the Formoza on,at the same 3,000 RPM, I was doing ~ 62 mph.

#24 ·
imported post

I wanted to try a Goodyear TT this change, but seems they can't be found in a 195/55/16. My dealer couldn't even order one, so I'm going with the 'stone Eucopia this time.

#25 ·
imported post

Dusty,

Which do you like better lower RPM or higher? I do notice that it takes a few revs to get the Fat Girl rolling but nothing I am concerned about. It will still pull nice in 5th at 1500 RPM in traffic. And if I have to up shift a little early in the mountains, that is OK too. But I haven't put enough long miles on it to have an opinion either. But my difference was only200 RPM.

Dubs

#26 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Dusty,

Which do you like better lower RPM or higher? I do notice that it takes a few revs to get the Fat Girl rolling but nothing I am concerned about. It will still pull nice in 5th at 1500 RPM in traffic. And if I have to up shift a little early in the mountains, that is OK too. But I haven't put enough long miles on it to have an opinion either. But my difference was only200 RPM.

Dubs

Well Bernie, ... in my case I went directly from the smaller diameter Federal Formoza, to the larger Austone and there is quite the difference in regards to the RPM difference (~ +/- 450 RPMs)

Which do I like better? .... hmm ....

I guess it ultimatelydepends on your riding style!

If you lean more towards the 'Performance' end of the spectrum, you'll favour the smaller diameter tire like theFederal Formoza. It really does pull quite a bitharder and quicker from any RPM, especially compared to the taller Austone. Crack the throttle and you're gone!

If on the other hand, your style leans more towards the relaxed, putting down country back roads, or, the mile after milehigher speed Interstate travel of the spectrum, you'll appreciate the slower turning RPMs of the taller Austone. Once you get to/above 3,000 RPMs with the Austone, it will pull with someauthority when you grab a handful of throttle, but be a bit 'boggy' below that, in comparison.

As for me, I really enjoy the instant throttle response of the smaller diameter car tire, like the Formoza. Turns the bike into a bit of a hot rod! Passes are made almost instantly. I didn't like the loss of ground clearance with the small diameter tire, as I bottomed out the chassis/kickstandtoo many times on high speed dips and speed bumps! :whip:

I liked the increased ground clearance with the Austone, as well as the more relaxed cruising RPMs while touring, as well, but with the increased ride height comes the increased lean angle when using the side stand. Have to be aware of the slope of the road/ground when it comes time to deploy it. Conversely, it's alsosuper easyto 'pop' the bike up on the centrestand.

Out of the two car tire sizes ... I guess I prefer the taller size of the Austone, for the more relaxed RPMs and associated quieter engine/exhaust note while I'm touring.

Now ...:badgrin:.... this may shock some of you, as it goes against most of what you've been hearing/reading about from those who have tried a car tire on a 1500, but, I, myself, will be switching back to using my trusted Dunlop E3s, front and rear. I've found that when running Double Darkside, the bike didn't handle as well when ridden aggressively, as it does with the Es front and rear. At times, the handling was downright .... 'sloppy'! :shock:

That's all I'll say for now!!

I'll post a report with my findings/experiences/comparisons at a later date, as I'm not fully finished evaluating the Austone/Michelin Pilot Activ combination I'm running on the bike at present. :readit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.