LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Would anyone happen to know a good way of heating Lexan in order to shape it.

Don't really know if you can do it in a way not to destroy it or if would require specal tools to do it. Any input would be helpful.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

You got a sword handy, might wanna fall on it now .

Seriously though, what are you trying to do with it, how thick is it, and how clear does it still have to be when done. I've spent a considerable amount of time experimenting with lexan, few attempts have been successful. If you're doing a gradual bend in ONE direction, a heat gun and some welding gloves, but be carefull because you get it too hot and the gloves will leave prints. Anything else, especially 3 dimensional shapes, you're gonna need a salamander set up and a vacuum table, and even that won't work if it's too thick.

Although, if anyone knows something I don't, please share, because I'd love to know the secret (woulda saved a couple hundred bucks more than a few times).

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
blackknytecnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Alright then consider myself impailed. Thought maybe an oven trick might do it but I guess that you would need fast high heat and fast cool down.

Thank you
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

You could still try the oven (again, depending on what you're doing), but it would have to be set pretty much as high as it would go, and you'd have to be dang careful to have it in just long enough to get soft, because that stuff browns easier than you'd think.

Slow, low heat distorts it, high fast heat browns it if it gets too hot, but if don't get hot enough it'll start to bend then shatter like a cheap plate.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
blackknytecnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

I don't know what you're doing, but I understand you can heat and mold Teflon.. Maybe someone can help with that..
Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Just a thought about making some windshield extentions to the lower sides just above the mirrors. No one makes anything like what I want to make. I have a pair under my mirrors they work great but above the mirror they need to be shaped different and fallow the contour of the windsheild.

[ That's part of the problem I tend to think to much]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1100
Garage
Post imported post

use hardwood flooring boards as handles. The lexan will and should fit the groove. welding gloves and a nice large shop heater. set the heater so you can work the material up and down in and out of the heat. Keep it in motion. if you are trying to match a curve get it drawn on a stable surface and heat slowly in and out of the heat till the desired curve is achieved. To long in the heat and it will brown and forcing the movement in the material will cause it to shatter. Finish cutting it to shape and sand the edges by hand with a rubber block. some will torch the edges but I believe it makes the edges more brittle and more likly ti break or shatter.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mainwiz3
Post imported post

You can heat Lrxan in an oven till soft yhem put it on a mold to form I use to work in plastic manufacturing and have seen 4 ft x 8 ftx 1/4 in lexan sheets formrd like this.
77 GL 1000
81 Interstate (Daily Bike)
81 Interstate ( Future standard with some twists)
82 Aspencade (restoration Project been sitting since 95 possibly trike)
Current
89 GL1500 Aspencade
mainwiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thank you will give it a try Bobalou. Long time no here hope alls well with you and yours
Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mainwiz3
Post imported post

oven will work better than shop heater you get more even heating and less chance of browning the lexan hard part is getting this past wife
77 GL 1000
81 Interstate (Daily Bike)
81 Interstate ( Future standard with some twists)
82 Aspencade (restoration Project been sitting since 95 possibly trike)
Current
89 GL1500 Aspencade
mainwiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum