LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to johnocooper Send a message via Yahoo to johnocooper
Post imported post

I ride mostly long rides or endurance ride, typically 1000 or more miles per day. I don't commute or take local short rides so my GL18 is set up accordingly. On the left handle bar I have a radar detector and a ZUMO 665 GPS using RAM mounts. On the right I have a Butler mug. For years I have used a RAM mount which is bolted to the clutch master cylinder lid for the Passport 8500 and the lower mount of a double RAM ball that is connected to the master cylinder bracket for the GPS.

On my last ride to Gerlach, NV, the Passport just fell down and was saved from loss by its cables. I was running 80mph on I-80 and quickly grabbed the device and exited the freeway. What happened is the bolt through the lid of the master cylinder just sheared off. (see pic)

I guess the fact that the bolt had been in there so long and there was considerable compression kept the nut and rest of the bolt from falling into the mater cylinder because it did not fall. When I got in for the night I was going to use JB Weld to plug the hole but the bolt was solid so I used super glue to make sure it was water tight and this held up fine for a couple of days.

I am done with this mounting technique. I ordered replacement lids for both sides, no more RAM balls on master cylinder lids. I am installing a "shelf and hydration on the passenger foot board so everything is coming off the handle bars - getting ready to learn to ride rallys.

johnocooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

I opted not to put my RAM there for that possible scenario, just to much stress going on. I mounted mine through the front of the handlebar control bindings.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
IdahoRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Old School Guru

Goldwing Model: GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I've never had a lot of faith in those small screws on the master cylinders to mount ram mounts to. I've always have used the bigger bolts at the clamps to mount my ram mounts, and have lots of miles on rough roads and no failures. Glad you caught your detector before it got away.

Gene
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
GLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Post imported post

I've had the ram mount through the bracket and have put on about 40K miles using them. I never like the idea of the "through the cover" mount plus it would cover up some of my sparkle! Good report!

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Tennessee Traveler #1
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Proud Member of the NRA and GOA

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Interesting..... RAM has discontinued this mount for Hondas.

They sell two for the covers on the BMW (Four screws) but no longer offer this one.

The big (1/4") stud that threads into the ball sheared? There had to be a lot of fatigue there. Ever noticed vibration in the handlebars?
DARKSIDER#1500
88 GL1500 - Phantom Gray Metallic, Double Darkside

1997 Valkyrie, red/white

Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

Previously: 84 GL1200 Standard, 87 GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class AC1R
Andy Cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to johnocooper Send a message via Yahoo to johnocooper
Post imported post

Andy Cote wrote:
Quote:
Interesting..... RAM has discontinued this mount for Hondas.

They sell two for the covers on the BMW (Four screws) but no longer offer this one.

The big (1/4") stud that threads into the ball sheared?* There had to be a lot of fatigue there.* Ever noticed vibration in the handlebars?
I just bought the stud and drilled the master cylinder lid myself and I never noticed any issue for years. No vibration or anything. Nonetheless I am done. I am even moving mounts off the brackets to a "shelf".
johnocooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2007
Default Ram mount for goldwing

[QUOTE=Halfling;1596742]I've had the ram mount through the bracket and have put on about 40K miles using them. I never like the idea of the "through the cover" mount plus it would cover up some of my sparkle! Good report!

[Where can I get a double ball mount for my 2007 Goldwing. I have a Ram mount for the clutch/brake, but it will not tighten enought to steady the lever. I've seen pictures of the double ball mount and it appears to mount correctly. /QUOTE]
csmbrak@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling

First, welcome aboard!

I got most of my Ram Mounts at GPSCITY.com and the one I use for both reservoir mounting included longer bolts and spacers allowing for them to be tightened down nicely. No issues what so ever with the brake or clutch levers.

http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=rammotorcycle309

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Tennessee Traveler #1
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Proud Member of the NRA and GOA

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Smart Aleck

Goldwing Model: 97 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage

Yeh. I'd like to have one of those dbl ball mounts to. Wouldn't have a part number would ya John. Can't seem to find them on website. Or I'm just blind.

Life is a highway, I'm gonna ride it all night long,

God Willin and the Creek Don\'t Rise!!

Darksider #1409

Patriot Guard Rider

Honorary Rhino

GWRRA

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (or whatever it was), downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

JACK WHITE
erwjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Token Canuk

Goldwing Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwjww View Post
Yeh. I'd like to have one of those dbl ball mounts to. Wouldn't have a part number would ya John. Can't seem to find them on website. Or I'm just blind.
Think this is what you are looking for Jack (http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...inch-ball.html).
I have 2 mounts on my lids as well as these & have no issues .
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

2010 Alps (pic's)
Spot Tracker
Trailer Hitch Plans
www.drivingskills.on.ca (Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
96aspencade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum