LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1500 SE
Default He should have come here first.

I was doing some basic maintenance on the Wing today and decided that I would put in the light kit I bought some time ago for the side reflectors on the fairing. I got the left side reflector out without a problem and started looking of the connector for the light wiring harness. I don't see it and decide to pull the pocket out of the faring and look there. Well I found it easy enough, as I stood there shaking my head. The PO was using it to power a cigarette lighter that was located in the left side pocket, and how it was wired was almost unbelievable. The positive side was done with 22 gauge wire and the negative side with 16 gauge. To make this even better all the PO did to connect the wires to the harness was to shove the striped wire into the connector and throw some tape on it to hold it. Needless to say I took all this out, wired in my lights and will properly wire in a 12v outlet in the future. I guess I should be happy that the PO didn't cut the connector off of the bikes wire harness and twist the wires on, though I'm sure he may have thought about it.

Another good example of something that wouldn't have happened if he would have simply come to this forum and asked for advice from the fine members here.

Rides I still own:
96 Honda GL1500 SE (Magenta 2 Tone - Such a Fast Color They Only Made a Few!)
85 Suzuki GS850G
77 Honda CT70 Hondamatic
69 Honda CB750 Sand Cast Block

Gave away to a friend:
79 Yamaha XS1100 Special
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Graphics Guru

Goldwing Model: http://www.eliomotors.com/
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MobyDick

frankly had he come here, it probably woulda done that anyways. Looks to me like he doesnt really care...

Glad your baby is in better hands...
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage

I remember doing wiring like that once.........

I think I was about 9 years old, I installed my fathers new 8 track player in his car.

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

jobe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles

And the problem with that is...?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vintage Rider

Goldwing Model: none at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBarW View Post
frankly had he come here, it probably woulda done that anyways. Looks to me like he doesnt really care...

Glad your baby is in better hands...

I agree. But not caring may not be the reason. Like mechanical stuff, some people just don't get wiring, and no amount of explaining, or even demonstrating the correct way to do it for them may help at all. Many people think soldering is easy. It's easy for them. MANY people will NEVER grasp the concept. This is the type of person who should not be working on such things.
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1995 GL1500SE
Garage

At least he didn't cut the connector off. The 84 GL1200 I had one of the previous owners decided he didn't want the radio controls so he cu the wire up at the controls and wrapped the remaining wires around the ignition switch. Then he decided he didn't want the CB antenna and so he just cut the cable back at the rear fender.

When I decided to get the radio working I had a time finding the radio controls for the 84 model which is different from the other years.

Why do people take shortcuts when it would just take a few extra minutes to do the job right in the first place??
kherald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default co ax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
And the problem with that is...?
:wtf:It's pretty obvious. He needed to use speaker wire for the lights. Makes the bike go faster. It has to do with the light is faster than sound thing.
IRAQI RAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAQI RAM View Post
:wtf:It's pretty obvious. He needed to use speaker wire for the lights. Makes the bike go faster. It has to do with the light is faster than sound thing.
Oh...now I see. Thanks for such a concise answer.
And you're right...it should have been obvious to me.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 88 GL 1500

HA!!!! I got a one up on this one. the PO of my machine must have found a close out sale on black wire. EVERYTHING HE HAD DONE HAD BLACK WIRE (ground and live). I kept blowing fuses so I did some research and found out what he had did. I know the guy so I asked him how much does he normally drink when he works on stuff, how long did he have his drug problem etc etc.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Default I don't wanna talk about PO's

kgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum