Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

94 1500 not charging again

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Jmly 
#1 ·
Went for a ride to test out the new trailer, and the bike started running poorly. Barely made it home, coasted into the drive. Wouldn't start again, so put the charger on it and checked voltage. 11.1 stayed the same when reving it. Dogbone is good. Everything seemed to be working, cruise light was on but didn't try it. Didn't try reverse. All lights worked.
could the trailer have done something? Did I blow another alternator?
We were leaving tomorrow morning for a nice bike trip north, looks like we'll be caging it now.*

#2 ·
That has the symptoms of being a bad alternator...
but make sure all the wiring connections are snugged up good.

if the voltage don't come back up like it should, I would not leave home on that bike.
hey, it was working just fine when I supped with you and your wife.... :)

#3 ·
You did what to his wife?

After reading the post twice, and seeing OP is on a 94- Alternator failure sounds like what happened
Remember to ck/replace those rubber things with alt.. AZgl1800 what are those called again?

#6 ·
Even brand new parts fail ! Did you short something out while installing trailer lights? Ever get the trailer lights to actually work?
Did you tap into wiring to hook up trailer? Do the bike lights still work?

note for others; letting the forum know you have brand X of whatever part installed -- can help in diagnosis,
otherwise we think its stock and go to the normal problems. For this thread we have to go outside the box

#7 ·
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to y'all.
Alternator is from LActrical. About a year old, had been working fine. After installing the trailer wiring, was still doing fine.
We left the morning after finding a problem, so I haven't had a chance to look at it again. When I get home, I'll dig into it and let you know what I find.

#9 ·
I put a lactrical unit on my 1500 after going through 2 (yes that's two) compufires. The lectrical that I got from amazon lasted about 3000 miles. After blowing 3 alternators in less than 3 years, I finally bit the bullet and took the trike to a reputable dealer and had him install Honda's new and improved OEM alternator. I also paid big money for the time to go through the wiring to look for any problems. The mechanic seemed to think that since he couldn't find anything wrong in the wiring, my problem was my mistake of depending on aftermarket (compufire) parts. That was this spring and 4000 miles ago.

I sure hope this alternator holds up, because in 2 weeks, I am planning to ride from Kentucky to the grand canyon and yellowstone.

Steve

#14 ·
I had a 95 amp lactrical installed and it was excellent for 5000 km then the voltage went up to 15.1 and stayed there, new battery and correct voltage from the sensing line but volts still stayed just over 15 at all times. Switched alternators and voltage went back to 14.1. I now use an alternator from ken hemings and have the lactrical as a spare if needed on a road trip to get me home.

15.1 is still within honda manual specs (13.8-15.5) but I don't know why the increase in voltage occurred.

#15 ·
Many people had a hand in the making and reliability of an alternator, from the women who mothered the miner who mined the copper for the windings, to the numerous individuals on assembly lines all over the world who manufactured the may components that make up the entire assembly, to the different folks that have handled the item and maybe dropped off the back of their truck, and on and on and on. So to try to pin the responsibility on the individual mechanic who was hired to install this complex assembly is not right.
To minimize the chance for failure, I always buy from reputable company that is in that business with techs that really know the mechanical end of their products rather than a mail order company. If your buying rebuilt, buy from someone that puts his name and reputation on the finished product. And lastly, get the best warranty that you can. I've been a mechanic for many years, both on cars and bikes, and I can tell you...alternator failures are going to happen whether it be out of the box or 1,2,3000 miles down the road. And even the high priced ones fail. All you can do is try to minimize your chances Good luck and choose wisely!

#16 ·
I still have my original alternator in a box in the garage, I replaced it with a compufire a few years back. Never had any problems with the compufire till one day I noticed it was not charging anymore. I took it into the local alternator shop after I wiggled it out of there and asked him to check it, he did and found a bad brush. He replaced it with a new set and I reinstalled it...worked again for 2 days. I did it all over again and he said the rotor went bad this time which, he said, was common for that particular alternator. He ordered a rotor that was interchangeable and reassembled it and I have had no problems since. I still have the original that he rebuilt for me just in case I need it in the future LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.