Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brake light flasher

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Roadyrider 
#1 ·
has anyone ever install a brake light flasher? What make, and did you wire it to control only 2 lights and not all 4 on a gl 1800

#2 ·
So close by. I'm in Natrona Heights and ride thru Saxonburg all the time.

Yes, Signal Dynamics, only wired it to 2 top brake lights. Was concerned about redudancy if the modulator unit failed I would lose all my brake lights. And I thought the 2 top lights are what are most in line with cagers view. Mine wig wag three times then flash three times then pulse for as long as I hold the brake. So far so good although I find that it still doesn't keep cagers from tailgating me.

#4 ·
First, you need to check with the state of PA to see what is legal. Wig Wag (flashing back and forth) are not legal. Those are for Law Enforcement, EMS, and Fire vehicles. Some states do not let you alter the vehicle lights, but allow additional lights for this purpose.

Here in CA, the additional lights must flash 5 times and then go to steady burn. I have used Hyperlights on my last few bikes and have had good success.

These are for turn signals, but they make brake light kits that look just like these.

http://wingstuff.com/products/27899...text=gold_wing_gl1800-turn_signals_taillights

People have put all kinds of devices their bikes for this purpose. I am all for safety and to be seen better. I am just throwing this out there to just check first. All it takes is to get pulled over by the new officer fresh out of the academy that wants to write tickets.

Not looking to start a debate on the subject. I would rather spend my money on gas then give it to the state in the form of a ticket.

#6 ·
I have a Back off, it flashes 5 time before steady.. I flash all brake lights and it's been on there 4 years no problem............

#8 ·
Good advice on checking state law before adding flashers to any lights.

I use the "Back Off" in Mode 2 wired to trunk brake lights leaving lower brake lights as OEM:

This mode emits a 4 alternating 'wig-wag' flashes to each brake light, followed by 3 flashes of both brake lights and then a steady brake light until the brakes are released.

:)

#11 ·
Mine was interesting. I had installed Show Chrome turn signal alternating wire harnesses so that my side trunk lights alternate with my regular turn signals. I spliced into the Show Chrome harnesses right below my trunk. Had to remove the bottom of the trunk and I used one of those 3m splices that you heat to make it shrink but it also gets goey to make it weatherproof. This way I never touch the factory wire harness and it can all be undone easily and cleanly. Seemed like the way to go.

Here is a video of someone doing this on an 1800. He removed the rear fender and all the wiring looked like it was right there. Not sure if this is the best install method but maybe it will help.

#13 ·
I used a Backoff XP brake flasher on all 4 OEM brake lights 2.5 years ago. Replaced the OEM 1157 bulbs with Pilot Automotive 1157 LEDs 1.5 years ago to lighten the electrical load on the alternator.
Lost the alternator about 11 months ago (the Chinese special from Honda), but the Backoff and LED brake/tail lights keep on truckin'. I also hooked the secondary flasher function of the Backoff to my spoiler, so I have both flashing functions active. The main brake lights flash 5 and on solid. The spoiler flashes 5 times, on solid, and repeats as long as the brakes are applied.
Combined with 2 additional LED brake/ tail lights that I added into the main circuit, I'm real happy with my visibility day or night when braking. Both of my add-on brake/tail lights are brighter than my OEM fixtures, not because of the LEDs in the OEM fixtures. They are as bright as the original 1157 bulbs. The ones I added are just much brighter by design and my own modification.

#14 ·
06 and up only
When I installed mine, I went under the seat.. The largest wire block the right side near the trunk.. I cut the Green wire with Red strips and Silver dots and put the Back Off in line and of course ground wire to ground.. Now this will blink ALL stop lights..........Depending what wire you put in line from the B/O this will give you the different flashing pattern

Reactions: AZgl1800
#16 ·
I used a Backoff XP brake flasher on all 4 OEM brake lights 2.5 years ago. .... The main brake lights flash 5 and on solid. The spoiler flashes 5 times, on solid, and repeats as long as the brakes are applied.
I've stopped them before for having all brake lights on the "back-off" and explained that state law requires brake lights to come on and stay on with application of brakes, that's what makes a "light" a "brake light" after all. That way people following know you are braking and not just feathering the lever or trying to tell them that you plan to brake in the future ..... but rather that you are in fact, braking now.

I've also seen bikes where the owner installed a simple flasher in the brake light circuit causing constant flashing ..... no 5 flashes ..... not so good either.

As long as one center or two lowers still function normally, I didn't fool with them as they thus have real "brake lights".

#17 ·
All my brake lights flash 5 times quickly before solid.. Here CA I've stopped in front of cops and CHP with no problem.. I guess the law enforcement here see the safety advantage the quick flashes provides ..
One thing I've noticed, cars don't pull up behind as close as they used to when I stop.. Also if I see a cage coming up fast at a light, I can hit the brakes a couple quick times and get their attention......

#19 ·
CrystalPistol,
Thanks for the heads up on staying out of VA. I've ridden all over Florida, and the North Carolina mountains with no issues. I would expect to have had a problem in Daytona, if anywhere. Lived there many years ago, and the department there and S. Daytona had a reputation. I don't see the issue you describe, as the flashing function is over very quickly. But, it sure does get attention, especially when they are on the brighter than average side.

From the Signal Dynamics Website:
Are flashing brake light(s) technically “legal”?
Most (if not all) State motorcycle handbooks recommend that you pump your brakes to flash your brakes to increase rear end visibility while coming to a stop. Our BackOFF brake light modules automates this recommendation for you while you're stopped or stopping. Our BackOFF brake light modules automatically facilitate compliance with these State handbooks, and enhance safety and rear end visibility.

How did you differentiate between a manual flashing of lights, and an automatic one. Or, did you just take a particular dislike to the automated ones ?

#23 ·
Kuryakan Modulator for My 2013

I have this one on my 2013 Wing:

Kuryakyn Pulsating Brake Light Controller Modulator GL1500 GL1800 (PN 908)

I'm very happy with it. It installs under the seat, takes up very little room and works well.

#24 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.