Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 stroke oil in gas

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
hey are any of you gold wing riders still putting 2 stroke oil in your gas ? remember a little while ago ,OK maybe a year or 2 ago. LOL there was a thread were some people were putting a very little of 2 stroke oil in every tank of gas .and it was helping with smother throttle response.better gas millage? i was doing it but stop! for i dont know why! well it helped my bike. but i just forgot. and then i forgot more!!!!! but dose any one still do it?????????????:baffling:

#3 ·
I know of a few who are putting TWC3 in their gas tank which each fill-up.

Keeps the top end nice and clean. I think it is something like 1 oz per fill-up.

I haven't gotten around to carrying any with me yet... but the idea is one that I want to pursue.

Every 3rd tank is what I think my guru does with it.

#7 ·
I have done it for years. It made a big difference in my 1200 and 1500 with smoothing out the engine and a little better mileage, on my 1800, no difference in mileage, but it does run a little smoother. I add about an ounce per tank for 2 or 3 tank fills, then stop for 2 or 3 tanks. Once in a while I'll add Lucas fuel additive to the tank as well, I get about the same smoothness from the Lucas as I do the oil, but I suspect it cleans the inner fuel delivery system better than the oil would.

#8 ·
Is this something I should consider doing with mine. 1985 LTD, just asking because of the fuel injection system. I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks

#10 ·
My 1200 was an LTD and it worked great for it.

#9 ·

I have been doing the TCW3 oil in all my engines around here for about 3 years. In the old days they used to call it "Top Oil" and it came in many brand names.

On my 97' SE it smooths out the idle/low RPM running. I carry it on the Wing and use 2 oz per fill and then every 5 or 6 fills I don't put it in just to clean out what becomes more and more concentrated oil in the gas. At least that is my idea on the whole thing.

Use it in trucks, lawnmowers, all small engines and a 52' TEA-20 Ferguson.

#11 ·
Logic makes me say a fuel cleaner such as bg44 or Seafoam or Lucas once a month is better for the overall health of the engine.
Clean fuel delivery system- be it carb or FI, and clean internal combustion area ie: piston tops and intake valves = better spark = all the desired results of adding such a product!
Ethanol added to our fuel is bad news for keeping things clean~

The Wing is not a 2 stroke, no matter how much some Harley buddies give me flak about riding a Japanese bike (but made in Ohio!)
I reply: Harley Owners Need Dependable Assistance!! = HONDA to the rescue!!

Now I carry that pic of a Wing towing HD, from recent thread on here

warning: Not all of my logic circuits are firing when I think they are, so advice may be suspect....

#12 ·
I have used it on my Old 1500 and it seemed to give a slight increase in MPG and a quieter running engine.

I have had similar results in my 1983 GS850GL - just an ounce per gallon and not every tank - TCW3 and/or MMO seem to deliver the same results

I have not used it in my GL1800 -- yet -- but with fuel injection it may be different -- to be determined.

#14 ·
A fellow I used to ride with used it in his 1500 and swear it got him an extra 3 to 4 more miles per gallon.. I've never tried it myself..........

#17 ·
I've been doing it (TCW3) for a couple of years now. 1-2 oz. in a near complete fill up. I also mix in Seafoam 2 oz. per. I read about it on this forum as well. Had my doubts, but did a few searches, and it seemed to be quite common for a lot of folks. Tried it for giggles, and it seemed to run a bit smoother. Can't speak to mileage, as that is effected by my wrist, a whole lot more than any oil mixture. But, I figured, hey it can't hurt (and would seem to be proved out at this point), and might help the fuel pump, keep any possible rust down in the fuel tank, and lubricate the upper cylinders a bit. "Smoother" is a very subjective observation regarding this stuff. But, I'm a believer. The Seafoam is run as a preventative for the idle fluctuation that I experienced when I got the bike. Seafoam fixed it, and after one recurrence shortly after the initial fix, I started using a light treatment in every tank. No recurrence of that issue, since.

#19 ·
Well reading all this I guess I will pick some of this stuff up and put them in the bags for spring. Thank you all for the added knowledge I definitely need all the help I can get.

Thanks again.

#23 ·
Tc-w3®

Original Thread (it's a long thread): http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

It's a good read ..... I've been "on and off" with it and drive / ride same and I am convinced gas mileage is better with it. I carry a old tool bag with a large former "Sta-Bil" bottle with TW-W3 oil in it and try to maintain about 1 oz. for each 5 gallons gasoline ..... though fluctuation is unavoidable and harmless. Sometimes I'm a little heavy with it, other times I slack off to readjust the quantity of fuel in the tank.

#24 ·
I have used it in My Burgman400 (fuel injected), 1 oz to a full tank now for many years. I use it on all my fuel injected vehicles (now my GL1800 too!). IMHO it provides a little bit of lubricity to the fuel stream which helps the injectors operate smoothly. Again, only my 2 cents, but I believe in it. Don't think it has any bearing on fuel economy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.