Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands going numb.

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Aloha Tom 
#1 ·
My son is just is just about my only riding partner, and he told me this week that his hands are beginning to go numb 10 minutes into a ride, and he was saying he feared he may have to sell his bike. He says that by the time he takes his hand off one handlebar, the other hand is going numb.

I said maybe we could adjust his handlebars up or down to help the situation. Does anyone else on the forum have the problem? Any suggestions about what to do to keep him riding?

#3 ·
You're on the right track. Both having the correct riding position and a light grip will certainly help.
You didn't say whether he had a Wing or not.
Perhaps adding grips that are weighted will also cut down on some of the vibration.

#4 ·
If the bars are not set right for him, pain and numbness can quickly follow!
Mine were set up/forward, causing a forward lean and pressure on the fore-arms, pain in the neck etc.
Ck the seat, is he being shoved forward or sitting too far away?
Easy to have seat foam modded by a local person who used to work for a big shop,
ck Craigslist bikes or boats for sale to find one...keyword: upholstery

Foam covers (ebay) on the grips can really help too, the stock small grips of many bikes force you to hold tighter

Really look at his neck angle to spine, helmet weight and wind buffeting of helmet as potential sources of the problem.
I was getting hand cramps due to bars being too far away.

#7 ·
Foam covers (ebay) on the grips can really help too, the stock small grips of many bikes force you to hold tighter
This helped me quite a bit.

#9 ·
Well, all has been said gives me some ideas to work on. His is a 2009 Roadstar I sold to him. He never changed the handlebar position. I probably had them dropped down pretty low as that is the way I do mine.

Too, he may be wrapping his hand all the way around the grip. I ride with my hands just laying on the grips the most of the time.

#11 ·
Try fatter foam grips, add a palm rest on the throttle, and relax. A rider back rest will take some strain out if not already equipped with such.

Both my GLs have foam, I have spares if needed because they are the best for me. My Triumph has the original air filled grips, not bad but then it doesn't see the long rides.

#13 ·
While we are talking about the handlebars: You are supposed to put a dab of grease under the head of bolts before torqing them.

I saw a diy on the other site~ says final tightening: Do the Upper bolt then the lower and uses 18 foot lbs
Thought I read in a book it was 12, but that would explain why my lower bolts get loose!

One more adjustment and it will finally be just right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.