20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2010
Garage
Not sure what to do. Fix it or scrap it

I'm heading back to Mesa AZ near the end of January for a couple of months. My poor ol 82 1100gl needs some fixing. The ol gal has over 300,000k. I don't have a place to work on it in Mesa as we stay in a Retirement Trailer Park, so I'm having to get the work done, and it is a good shop I've talked too. They've even put it to me if its' worth doing or not which really got me thinking. The head gasket blew last year and cylinder #3 filled right up with antifreeze.

Head gasket - Timing belts - Rear tire - Brakes - Oil change need to be done at the very least. That adds up to just over $1,000.00 and where else could it go from there????

This job could end up around $3,000+, if I run into other issues like doing the other head, complications of antifreeze getting into the cylinder, carbs, or other time worn issues that might arise with so many miles. Coin that could be put into another bike.

This dear old scoot has done me a service as it had 23,000k on it when I bought in 1985 and has hauled us from Alaska to the Gulf and from the East to West coast a few times. Other than oil changes, plugs, tires, brake pads, a couple sets of timing belts, it hasn't had anything else done to it.

Man should not get attached to machine.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike0643.jpg (110.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg scan0097.jpg (121.0 KB, 59 views)

2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:32 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
I don't consider tire, brakes or even timing belt, repairs. That is maintenance and if you were to spend money on a newer bike, you'd probably be doing the same work to it. And a head gasket isn't that big a repair as the motor doesn't have to come out.

Can the bike be ridden as is or will it need to be trailered?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi again Dennis,

The bike needs to be trailered but I've got Rescue Plus to move it. I believe I get 100 miles with them.

I hear ya, that is just maintenance stuff. If I was sure I could just get away with that, I wouldn't have any issues. I'm just concerned with all the miles on it if it's worth it. Maybe a week later the other head gasket will go, or the carbs are gunked from sitting all summer in the heat, or if I might have an issue because antifreeze got into that cylinder and corroded over the summer.

If I had my own place to tinker at my leisure, I'd maybe play with it a bit, tear it down and see how bad or good things are. I do have a cover on the bike and it does sit under a car port but that is a long sit in your AZ heat over the summer. The gas is full and has been treated with sea foam, I drained the antifreeze out of it and pushed out the antifreeze that was in #3 cylinder, but maybe I should have left the antifreeze in the rad? I was prepared to put some money into it but D&D really questioned if the bike was worth it. If it was a lower mileage bike, it might be worth it I don't know. I even entertained the idea of maybe finding a motor that is a bit fresher than mine.

Darkside #1721
Wild Rhino
AKA Wingerpeg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:42 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
It does look nice in that pic, if it was running good before the head gasket I would say it is worth $1000 to fix and keep. You might have them just pull that head and see what it looks like. If I had it here I would do those thing for 1/2 that.
Kyle likes this.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
I get where you're coming from. Is the motor knocking or making other bad news noises? If so, maybe a transplant would be in order. From that picture, it looks like the bike is in pretty nice shape.
Kyle likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
At 300,000KM I'd spend the $100 or so extra and do both head gaskets.

I don't know where you got the quote but perhaps Dennis knows of a home mech-neck that is good and doesn't have the overhead of a commercial shop.
Kyle likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Certified Slacker

Year: 94
Make: Wing of course!
Model: 1500 SE
Was it a bad water pump... or what caused head gasket failure? Thats important before proceeding.

300,000? Barely mid-life crisis on a Goldwing- those early ones are still riding everywhere.
Only needs freshen up the heads? have them cleaned and whatever parts inside have wear- replace.

Brakes, tires, all fluids- uh-huh did that to every used vehicle ever!

Only 1 summer sitting? You did all the right things and seafoam will take care of any grunge once running.

A real shop with their high rates are no more skilled than your local Wing nut.
Between this forums guru-friends network and the Gold Book, you will find someone who is happy spending a weekend to make a new riding buddy!

BUT It all starts with why?? We must know why it blew a gasket.

Certified Slacker is suffering under the delusion of being an expert... We need more Voltage! IGOR- throw the 3rd switch!!
Not the 3rd switch Master!!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No engine knocks, a little lazy on one cylinder at start up, but smooths out when it warms up. The odd time it has a smoke issue on start up and that flare up doesn't matter if its warm or cold, which I suspected as a valve seal guide. Burns a little oil where I have to add a 1/2 quart every 4 or 5 tanks of gas. I had one head gasket replaced years ago but can't remember if it was left or right side. I took a video of it running when she started puking antifreeze out the exhaust last winter, but guess we can't post vid's here.

To do both heads its an additional $100 parts (gasket kit) and 3 hrs labor and 1 hr for valve seal guides = about $350 to do the other side.

Not sure how much damage from that cylinder taking on antifreeze. I sure would like to keep the bike but don't want to get into a nickel and dime repair schedule. Like Dennis says "why ain't we ridin" I Don't want to answer "cuz I'm fixin the bike again." Dennis knows where I was taking the bike, they've got a good rep. What takes you guys one day to do would probably be 3 days for me.

Darkside #1721
Wild Rhino
AKA Wingerpeg

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Was it a bad water pump... or what caused head gasket failure? Thats important before proceeding.

300,000? Barely mid-life crisis on a Goldwing- those early ones are still riding everywhere.
Only needs freshen up the heads? have them cleaned and whatever parts inside have wear- replace.

Brakes, tires, all fluids- uh-huh did that to every used vehicle ever!

Only 1 summer sitting? You did all the right things and seafoam will take care of any grunge once running.

A real shop with their high rates are no more skilled than your local Wing nut.
Between this forums guru-friends network and the Gold Book, you will find someone who is happy spending a weekend to make a new riding buddy!

BUT It all starts with why?? We must know why it blew a gasket.

I've had this bike in Mesa for about 4 years, but up until now, only had time to ride it for a couple of weeks in the winter. She always has been left with a full tank of gas and sea foam, covered and in a carport, but it gets stupid hot and dry there in the summer, and just wonder over time how hard that is on seals etc. just sitting. I'm retired now and plan on spending longer in the sun during the winter.

Darkside #1721
Wild Rhino
AKA Wingerpeg

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Old bike

In your first post you say it could cost $3000.00!!! That's way too much to put in an old wing. In following posts the price suddenly drops to a couple of hundred? That's a big difference.

What's so special about this bike other than you've had it forever? For $3000.00 you can buy another bike that's ready to run. At this point do you want to wrench or ride?

If it were mine I'll invest in a newer bike, or at least one with less miles that does not need work.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page