13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Year: !984
Make: honda
Model: Gl1200 I
how do you ride?

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, please redirect this thread if needed or if there is already one like this please redirect me. So, as most riders we all want to live to ride another day. So how do you do it? what techniques do you use? what precautionary measures do you take? I feel like our riding technique, although very important, is less than half the battle. Avoiding distracted or drunk drivers is the real challenge. First off, I ALWAYS ride in full fear, ALWAYS!! From head to toe, im all leathered up. I also have my hi viz safety vest on top of all of that. when im riding, I always try to keep my distance from the cars in front of me in case they slam on their brakes or anything like that. i like to keep a low speed as well, in case i need to brake quickly, especially since im on a heavy wing. At stop lights I like to check my mirrors constantly in case there is anyone who is heading to rear end me. that's about all I got. What am I missing? please Let me know your ways!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
I ride wheels down.
detdrbuzzard and gipsy42 like this.

1977 GS 750
1983 CB 750
1988 GL 1500
1997 GL 1500A current ride
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
First, I choose ATGATT also.

then I try to keep my mind clear and focused on what is ahead of me...

and of late, meaning the last year or two, I have dropped the Kamikaze hell bent for leather attitude, and stay with the speed limit

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Year: 2014
Model: Gl1800 Level 1 Blue
Garage
I ride with a bandana, the radio and a smile! While I try to be aware of everything around me I'm a firm believer in not letting worry stop you from having fun. Of course I also scuba dive, sky dive and often work fairly high above the ground so maybe I'm not the best source of advice !
LarryInSeattle likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Model: 1998SE a.k.a. The Blackbird
Lights on, hi-viz apparel & helmet, vigilance...I don't know what else there could be.

Riding motorcycles is risky compared to driving a car. Driving a tiny car is risky compared to driving an F350. Driving an F350 is risky compared to sitting in your living room. Where do you draw the line?

Life is an ongoing series of risk management decisions. I choose to do everything I want to do while minimizing the risks as possible for each activity.
AZgl1800, Terryj630 and gipsy42 like this.

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it isn't broken, some people like to fix it until it is.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM

Year: 1984 interstate
Model: 2000 GL1500SE
Garage
being the youngest rider here, it wasn't too long ago when I went through motorcycle driver's ed, and I was taught to keep your fingers on the grip unless you are braking/pulling in the clutch. After riding for a bit and getting tips for big big riders, I have learned to keep your fingers ON the levers as the default, since it helps with reaction times and such. On top of that, I follow two rules without question, and they are 1) never be in a rush, and 2) never drive tired.

Allen
1984 Goldwing Interstate-Sold
2000 Goldwing Special Edition, starting with 23k miles
E3 T's on front and back, going darkside next time!

Ham Radio Extra Class-KB3WEY
"Know yourself and you shall win all battles"-Art of War, By Sun Tzu
Isaiah 41:10 " Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

8 lives left
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Year: !984
Make: honda
Model: Gl1200 I
these are pretty good guys, lets keep them coming though!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post
First off, I ALWAYS ride in full fear, ALWAYS!!
That is a given as "THEY" are out to get you!

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken

My ride is a 1984 Interstate "Canadian".
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
That is a given as "THEY" are out to get you!
Yes, yes they are.

I ride with the mindset of "What are the idiots going to do next?"

I always watch 5-10 seconds ahead of me, anticipating what to do when someone pulls out in front of me or does a brake check or sudden all stop (crash stop? swerve left? swerve right? duck behind this truck? etc)

ATGATT is criticial, as the road has to eat the gear before it eats you... Ride high in a turn, maximizes your visibility through the curve, act like you're invisible *all* the time, because you are. Never become complacent about your ride, riding is a high adrenaline constant brain process activity... you can't turn your brain off like the people in the cars (with coffee, radio, facebook, texting, mapping, napping - it's a wonder any of them get where they are going. Based on the number of accidents I see on the road going to work every morning, some do get weeded out)

Never ride tired. Never ride on stimulants (energy drinks etc) - if you need one, you need to stop - stay hydrated - the camel back is a blessing - know where you're going so you don't have to check your map/gps - they are navigation *aids* not navigators.

Now go out and have fun.

A wing isn\'t an old mans bike, it\'s a wise mans bike. Often that wisdom comes with age.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:07 PM

Year: 1985, 1993
Model: GL 1200 LTD, 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I ride in the country a lot and when coming to an intersection and a car is waiting, I always watch there wheels as I approach. if they start moving I can take action. You really never know if they see you or if they don't give a ****. I did take that safety course and I learned a lot of good stuff. I really thought it would be a waste of time but it was informative and riding the little Honda'a was a lot of fun. I see a lot of motorcycle riders split lanes here but I don't do it on the wing. I think it is crazy in heavy traffic to do that. I really try to be safe and if my old lady is on the back she helps me by poking me in the ribs or a wrap on the helmet. LOL
gulfrider likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page