• 1 Post By Rednaxs60

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: 1200
Garage
TRAC- Anti Dive system.

I really cant find any good info on the TRAC system on my GL1200 I have it set on 3 now since I have read the 4th level is to stiff. I havnt rode it in any of the other settings I would just rather trust another fellow rider. I know you dont want it too stiff or you could lose rear traction with the back tire. I use my front brake more than my rear one just a habit I guess. I do try and use even braking when its a planned stop but instant stops are usually foot then hand. So Im open to suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Has nothing to do with the rear. All it does is control excessive dive of the front by limiting fluid flow.

Depending on what kind and the condition of the springs, you go out and test the dive. If too much, back it off, too little, ramp it up.
rayjoe likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 AM
seafoam guru

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Make sure system operates freely by pushing the operating button several times- with bike parked.
Im guessing the same system on 1500 was used in prior decades.

Set it to soft, apply hard Front-only braking at 20-30 mph
Does it squat on the forks? Move to setting 2 and retest.
Now it has no give in the forks, feels like going over boulders under braking? too much!

Is your fork oil more than 2 years old? Real fork oil in it? or atf or other fluid? 10w, 15w?
Fork springs original? maybe Progressive brand recently?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Model: 2000 1500 SE
I need to measure the TRAC fork setup on my 2000 GW and see if the identical setup would fit on my 2000 Valkyrie. (You would think mother Honda would make more parts interchangeable, but alas that ain't the case.

I can't understand why the TRAC system wasn't a standard feature on the Valkyrie.

Any ideas?

Max
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Trac

My 1984 V65 Sabre has the TRAC system. Never played with it much, just rode!

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Im pretty sure the fork oil and springs are original, not sure really. That is my next major thing to be done is replace the air assist o-rings and put new seals and oil in. May even do new springs if there needed. What I mean by affecting rear braking is when you dive in the front the weight shifts and the rear tire becomes lighter, like doing a stoppie.
I have noticed they only cross for a few years usually on any of the parts really. Seems that innovation is always improving.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Year: 1985 and 2008
Make: GL1200 and GL1800
Model: '85 LTD
Here is a site about motorcycle brake systems including the TRAC system:

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

Cheers
Screw likes this.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And the answer is..! I copied this since it answers nearly every question I had.

TRAC

The Honda TRAC system differs somewhat from the ADVS-style units. Honda maintain that hydraulic systems have two basic drawbacks. First, the additional brake-line plumbing and increased brake-lever ratios can produce a spongy feeling at the brake lever. Second, those systems are either on or off - there's no modulation of antidive effect. To get around these problems, TRAC is instead activated through the torque reaction of the brake caliper itself. This makes it completely independent of the hydraulics in the brake system. It works because one of the two front brake calipers is hinged behind the fork leg on a pivoting link, rather than being solidly attached. When you apply the brakes, the pads grip the spinning disc and this tries to drag the brake caliper around with it. The caliper pivots on the link and presses against the anti-dive activating valve which is built directly into the fork leg. From then on it, it works just like the Yamaha and Suzuki systems, restricting the flow of fork oil and stiffening the suspension. The advantage of the Honda system (they say) is that the harder you brake, the more pressure the pivoting caliper puts on the control valve, and the stiffer the suspension gets. One important difference with TRAC is its ability to deal with the bumpy road surfaces which the other systems had a problem with. The TRAC valve is a floating piston held in place by a spring. This means that if you hit a bump, the sharp and sudden increase in the pressure of the fork oil can override the anti-dive valve and force oil through the valve as if it were not applied. This means that TRAC can respond to bumpy roads whilst braking. Clever eh?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 PM
seafoam guru

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
So they did use the same setup for many decades!
On my 94 it was possible to put a flat screwdriver between the TRAC button and something-
allowed fulcrum action to move the TRAC button fully several times, get it loosened up.
Something I recommend everyone do when you are cking the front end, pad wear etc.

You can go all the way into the system for seal replacement- when doing fork oil change...every 2 years!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page