4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Goody For Me...and Frank, Too.

Long time friend, Frank, has acquired a 1984 Interstate. One that needs plenty of work.

Frank has been a motorcyclist most of his life but bowed out a few years ago when arthritis turned riding on the longer jaunts a bit painful. We've been friends and riding buddies for nearly 30 years, so when he stopped riding, it actually slowed me down quite a bit.

So, his son has had, and basically ignored, this '84 for several years and when he put it up for sale I suggested to Frank that he buy it and I would help him get it back on the road. If it turned out he can't get back on the road himself, the bike should be an easy sell as we plan a frame-up reconditioning. Paint and tires included.

Anyway, I think I'll enjoy the project and hopefully Bike will have a new friend when we're done. One that won't disappear from the mirrors every time the road gets a little twisted.

He's already decided to paint it blue.
siouxindian likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 PM

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I'll bet it will look nice when you're finished. Please post pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I'll bet it will look nice when you're finished. Please post pics.

Of course. And lots of them.

Why ain't we ridin'?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Hopefully just for the pleasure of doing it because there is probably little or no profit in it.
siouxindian likes this.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Hopefully just for the pleasure of doing it because there is probably little or no profit in it.

Not if you consider the time.

He got the bike pretty cheap and it's pretty much all there. I figure he'll be able to sell it for a grand more than puts into it, if it comes to that. Hopefully it will get him back to some limited riding.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Day one: We got it in the garage and I took a couple of pictures. Lots of very poor workmanship has gone on, and parts from multiple years. To determine what year the bike is, I looked at the steering head. The placard has been removed. A little odd, so, I looked for the motor number and it has been ground off the engine.

Well we decided, pretty quickly, not to put a bunch of work into a stolen bike. It does have a title and current registration. Frank called the state police and couldn't get anything but recordings. So he called the city police, who had no answers except call the MVD. (Motor Vehicle Division) The MVD suggested he get Honda to issue the bike a new VIN.

So, Frank's son says he bought the bike from a guy in Mesa, who had other bikes at his place, but the son can't remember who, or where. He'll try to find a bill of sale. We ran the VIN on the title and it did come up '84 GL1200 and the tags have current stickers.

So, tomorrow, Frank will go to the MVD and attempt to get the bike's title and registration put in his name.

Then he'll decide how far he wants to go with the fix-up. It will be a ton of work. Lots of stuff held on with drywall screws, several missing and/or broken pieces, no rear brake and a battery for a much smaller bike.

On the good side we checked the compression and it was very good, and the stator is charging. It ran poorly but a quick clean on the carbs and some fresh gas should be all that's needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB-1.jpg (149.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FB-2.jpg (162.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FB-3.jpg (151.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FB-4.jpg (161.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FB-5.jpg (134.4 KB, 17 views)

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM

Year: 1985 and 2008
Make: GL1200 and GL1800
Model: '85 LTD
Very nice project. Hope your friend gets the ownership straightened out. Lots to do but I would expect a lot of "war" stories will ensue during the work.

I met the previous owner of my '85 LTD and he got it from his father. Meeting up with him this week for a history lesson. Will also have some "war" stories for him.

Look forward to following your progress.

Good Luck. Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 PM

Year: 1984 Interstae
Make: Honda
Model: 1200
Garage
Yep Looks like a few aspencade parts here and there but looks good. Im sure you can get it right with a little work, I like chrome anyway. I would just make a metal plate for the neck and use a stamp and hammer to put the VIN in. I have to do that with boats all the time due them coming off. However I bet its a different bike with a title from another frame. With a bike of that age I wouldnt worry a whole lot most stolen bikes are newer, but you never know. You got my number if I can help you with anything.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 PM

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
There's usually a stamped number on the frame on the right side of the steering head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
I would just make a metal plate for the neck and use a stamp and hammer to put the VIN in.
In fact, that is Frank's plan if he can get the title straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
There's usually a stamped number on the frame on the right side of the steering head.
You know, we talked about that but didn't really see one. Didn't really look too hard though, as I thought that was a frame number, not the VIN.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page