FITTING GL1500 ROTOR COVERS TO A GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Here are a few links to the photos of the converted covers ,If anyone needs any more info on them just post a message on this topic,they are not to everyones tastes but they work out a lot cheaper than the 1200 ones especially if you buy the recommended calliper covers.

For some reason they are printing out very large on my printer at the moment i dont know if it is my set up, on the cover you can see the apperatures that have to be cut in the cover to clear the callipers, also note the hole for adjusting the anti dive, at the top of the cover is a hole about 9mm dia where it must fit to a 1500 fender or something i drilled through the fender very carefully as to not drill the tireplaced an 8mm stainless steel bolt through from the back (I ALSO HAD TO GRIND THE HEAD DOWN SO AS NOT TO CATCH ON THE TIRE)and made a tapped spacer to go between the fender and the cover,The rear strap that came with the covers was used and modified by drilling and tapping m4 screws to hold the strap to the covers be careful with this as there is not a lot of overlap to drill into, i also drilled a hole in the back of the fender to pick up with the small screw for the middle of the bracket do this after fitting the strap to the covers and you are happy with the allignment.

The lower bracket is boltedonto the end caps on the fork legs (ensure that they are secure with spring washers etc. the l/h bracket has the cutout for the speed sensor make sure that there is clearance all round this as they are on the expensive side if they get damaged, on the brackets i have welded tapped bushes in place you could use bolts and a number of nuts to make up the depth of thebushes and then usedomed nuts to hold the cover in place,i used 20mm long stainless button head socket screws, the reason i have used stainless steel is-

1 we use it at work

2 no problems later with rust seizing it all up

3 you dont have to paint it

ensure when the cover is in position that it does not rub against the brake lines, i had to tweak the brackets slightly also if fitting the ring of fire tape the wire to the inside of the cover and seal the ends of the plastic tube with silicon sealant to keep water out.

When ifitted the covers i found that theinner edge of the cover was partially obscuring the rotor when viewed from the front this was solved by tweaking the bracket,(i wanted to still see the rotor with its central cooling slot exposed to the wind) this part is entirely up to your tastes, as i said before if there is anything you are not sure of or that i have missed out just send me a pm.

Disclaimer :- While i have disclosed my modifications in good faith i do not accept any responsibility for any injuries or damages arising from the use of this information.

SO THERESPONSIBILITY IS ON YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE HAPPY AND CAPABLEOF DOING IT!.

YOURSIN GOOD FAITHMalc.

and sorry for such a long post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

That's great Malc, makes everything easy to explain.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

Thats a very good job Malc. Great attention to detail.

Ben.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatinIdaho
Post imported post

Excellent!! Now just have to watch ebay for these also.

Pat

86 GL1200I 11,617 when bought now it\'s 17,606

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Protesters did NOT give me the freedoms I have now. THANKS VETS!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:58 PM

Post imported post

I never knew this could be done. That's useful for GL1200 owners to know.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Patch
Post imported post

I have a write up on my site about how I installed my covers. I fabricated my brackets with the help of Malc's drawings and use his drawings, with his permission, on my site.

Chris & April Sanders
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:09 PM

Post imported post

I reckon Malc's pictures and instrustions have helped more than a few GL1200 owners fit these covers. I seen a wineberry 1987 model parked up on Saturday and it had the GL1500 rotors fitted. They looked perfect.

Lucky Eddie.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Year: 1984
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Post imported post

I just put them on my 1200, I used a small bolt in the top hole and made a wire brace that I attached to the brake hose bracket then to the bolt, it holds the top very secure. Thanks to everyone who has posted info on how to do this, it was easy with all the info given here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coversz3b.JPG (61.8 KB, 599 views)

Riding Motorcycles For over 59 Years

Thank you Lord for all my blessings.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump:

84 Interstate Candy Wineberry Red-U, R114CU

with Ventu Craft Trailer
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1500
Post imported post

I think I have a set of stock 1500 covers in the barn if anyone is interested in them and would like to give it a try. Drop me an email if you need more information.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:55 PM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 Airbag
Garage
Post imported post

If you check out the gallery you will see a few with these covers already fitted. 1984GL1200A and myself that I know of for sure, but there are probably others in there also.

Bob Smith
NASSIR 4 Pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wild Rhinos - Ontario Chapter

2014 GL1800 Airbag
2007 V Star 1300 (Hers)
2000 Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe 750 (Sons)
Previously owned: 1985 GL1200 A - (2X)2000 GL1500A

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page