shock rebuild, gl1200 - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:01 AM

Post imported post

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm still going through old posts and finding info I wish I'd read before attempting some of the work I've done. Being of the philosophy that if you take every nut and bolt off, the problem is sure to show itself, has got me in trouble a few times.

Right now I'm staring at the shock air compressor, lying on my garage floor, and wondering if it would be worth just pulling all the air-assist components and swapping the existing shocks with a couple of standard Progressives? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kerry

\'82 GL1100A
Kingston, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I wouldn't recommend going to a spring shock on an Aspencade. The main reason for the air shock in the rear was so that you could adjust the suspension for changes such as solo and two up riding. If you go to a spring shock it's difficult to get at it to adjust the preload cam for differing loads due to the saddlebags. If the air shocks you have are the problem you can replace the seals or install Progressive 416s which is a combination air/spring shock. Not cheap but excellent shocks.

You might try looking into the air dryer on your compressor setup, I found the desiccant pretty well broken down and turned half to powder when I rebuilt an 1100 last year. Plugged up the compressor's source of air. I got new desiccant beads on eBay, cleaned the thing all up and it came back to life nicely. If you have the Helm Inc. service manual for the 1100 it gives good information with pictures and drawings on the air system. It's the best $36 you can spend on your bike.

Click Here

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #63 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Post imported post

Thanks Exavid,
I took the compressor apart, the beads were fine but I did think the spring-loaded buttons for the front/rear and increase air were a bit sticky (maybe leaving the system open for air to escape). So I cleaned those up and it seems better. The shocks still compress more than I think they should (not enough oil in them from my last attempt?) but it'll do for now. I ordered that manual so I'll wait for it to arrive and in the meantime the weatherman say's it should be a reasonable week for riding.

Thanks again,

Kerry

\'82 GL1100A
Kingston, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Post imported post

I've been reading and looking through the posts.

Can anyone point me to a set of replacement springs for the rear?

I've got a 85 LTD, and I need to replace the rear springs.
Based on cost, I think I'm going to replace them with OEM or standard instead of progressive.

Anyone know where I can order the springs?
Do I need special tools to replace them?

If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear.
-Mark Twain
post #65 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Come on you Experts (Guru's) Devil_Dog has a problem with the rear springs on his '85Ltd lets get some help to this guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #66 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Post imported post

devil_dog,

http://www.mawonline.com/progress.htm#Shock%20springs

(76515) $49.95 Progressive Shock Spring Kit Mfg.#: 001172

Scroll down to the Shock Spring Kits. This is the springs you need. I put these on mine and LOVE them. Best money I have spent yet!!

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #67 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Post imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
Quote:
devil_dog,

http://www.mawonline.com/progress.htm#Shock%20springs

(76515) $49.95 Progressive Shock Spring Kit Mfg.#: 001172

Scroll down to the Shock Spring Kits. This is the springs you need. I put these on mine and LOVE them. Best money I have spent yet!!

Thanks for the info.

I think this will do the trick on mine also. I have to run them about 80 PSI, or the bottom out VERY easily. The compressor doesn't seem to want to run it that high.
I believe I have other issues, as in the air lines, for the rear. The springs will make things much easier.

I hope they're not hard to put in.

If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear.
-Mark Twain
post #68 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 PM

Post imported post

I read through the whole thread. It would seem a bit much for me to tackle.

I'm little short on space to accomplish some of this, and lack some of the tools.

What would anyone think is a fair price if I took it to someone else to have it done?

-Mark Twain
post #69 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 AM

Post imported post

Devil_Dog wrote:
Quote:
I read through the whole thread. It would seem a bit much for me to tackle.

I'm little short on space to accomplish some of this, and lack some of the tools.

What would anyone think is a fair price if I took it to someone else to have it done?
It is not really hard to do, just time consuming. The hardest part was getting the bags and trailer hitch off to get to the springs, and that wasn't too bad. As far as space goes, I did mine in my driveway. Just put it on the center stand and remove, rebuild, replace one shock at a time.

As far as cost.....about an arm and a leg (figure about a minimum 4hr labor @ $65/hr for a shop to do it) compared to about $100 - $150for you to do it yourself.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #70 of 204 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Post imported post

Hey, we used your most excellent directions to fix our rear shock for our 85 LTD. Thanks a lot.
Bruce
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page