Changing GL1000 timing belts tutorial - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:49 PM

Post imported post

That depends on where you live (subtle hint to put your location in your profile). In any place that stays above 50 degrees most of the year I wouldn't use 5 weight anything.

You realize you've opened up a can of worms oil what oil to use.

About the only thing everyone can agree on is to stay away from any oil that says it can extend your mileage or has teflon in it. Wet clutches have a real hard time gripping the plates with some of the additives they put in those types of oil.

Ken

Ken S. - Old and one legged... But then again the 84 Interstate ain\'t what it used to be either.
Previous Bikes:
1983 Interstate
1975 GL1000 WJ III, Bates Bags, ARE Boot (115K)
2 1972 Yamaha Enduros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

scot wrote:
Quote:
hey vic, thx for your speedy reply. do you know if the napa belts 250070 can be used
for the belt/belts changing as i am about to plunge into that project.

changing oil can you use castrol synthetic 5-50 wt oil on the gw [wet clutch and all]
you hear so much pro and con on the oil subject.

thx scot

Napa 250070 is the correct number for the two belts you need Scot.

Regarding the oil, I haven't had good luck with synthetics in the older Wings so I stick with my favorite, Castol GTX 10W40 or 20W50 for motorcycles. I found that under severe high performance usage there was clutch slippage, but I will shift at 7500 RPM. Not many guys spin their Wings up that high so they would never notice any slippage like I would. With the Castrol GTX for motorcycles I have never noticed any clutch slippage. The other thing I had happen with synthetic oilwas a blown seal on the first cold start after installing the synthetic oil. After I did some research on synthetic oil I discovered that synthetic oil can build flow and velocityat a more rapid pace than regular oil because the molecularcomposition causes the molecules of the oil to cling tighter together therefore the oil impacts much harder against seals and gaskets uponfirst start when cold. Regular oil apparently has a built in cushion because the molecules are not so closely bound. There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of oil.

Comments about oils are a real can of worms. Some guys swear by the synthetic oils with the red caps and gold caps and purple capsand if that oil works for them that's great, but it sure didn't work for me.

So, you decide for yourself which oil you're going to use because it seems like no matter which oil is discussed one is bad and the other is a miracle then the next day the very same oil isjunk because another is supposed to be better.

Just use a quality oil that meets or exceeds the API standards recommended (SF or better)for your bike and remember the oil standards for your bikehave been exceeded many time over since your bike was new.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
post #23 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 06:50 PM

Post imported post

I completely agree with you Guru,there is as many opinions about oil as guys disscusing it. I use 10w40 motorcycle castrol, no problems at all. But I dont crank my wing to 7500 rpm. Mathew

What ride to choose?
81 GL1100
96 Low Rider FXDL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Post imported post

thx for the 100% answer will get the belts and the castrol..
post #25 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Post imported post

Does it matter which way I turn the engine over?? That is , do I push down on the box end wrench or pull up on it?? Or clockwise or counter clockwise???

Goin to change belt's next week.
post #26 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Counter clockwise to loosen the crank bolt.

Clockwise is the direction you will need to rotate the right side camshaft pulley to get the belt back into its correct place.

Make certain that you line everything up at T1 on the crank indicator as the earlier instructions denote.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Forgot to mention that you may need to have someone step on the rear brake pedal while the transmission is in a high gear. That will lock the engine while you loosen the crank bolt.

Vic

post #28 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 PM

Post imported post

Goldwinger:

I don't think I have to loosen the crank bolt!! Am I missing something here???

Your right about the Gen. bolt!! Counter clockwise would loosen it!!! DAH??
post #29 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Just in case you wanted to check the crank seal or remove the crank pulley to clean itbut, no, you are correct it does not need to be removed.

Vic

post #30 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 AM

Post imported post

Goldwinger:

Thank's.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page