Changing GL1000 timing belts tutorial - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

You're welcome.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Post imported post

i was awake thinking, the crank bolt? the transmission the brake.. in the manual it

shows turning the middle bolt tomove the engine to the timing marks at 3 and 9

o'clock. o'well will try again thanks for your help..

scot
post #33 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Scot, if you don't clearly understand all of the above instructions fullythen DO NOT even attempt to change the belts yourself. Guessing can be extremely costly. It could end up being much cheaper to have a shop change the belts for you.

From item one go over all of the posts in this thread and learn what each step means before you start. Understanding the relationship of the timing of thepistons to the valves is absolutely critical to the life of your engine. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and heartbreak if done wrong.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Post imported post

seems simple to do. [belts]i have a delorean 1981 auto and have rebuilt intake

manifold etc.

so this hopefully should not be too difficult. seems like a 1hr job minus removal of

radiator etc thx for your concern.

scot
post #35 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Years ago,a friend loaned me his Delorean while he went on vacation and I distinctly recall getting locked inside the car on several occasions because the electric part of thegullwing doors would not work and I couldn't even climb out the windows because they were too small. Funniest thing of allwas my son constantly telling me to make it go 88 miles per hour so we could go off into another time likeBack to the Future.

I just mentioned the caution because I have seen too many guys install their belts with the cam and crank out of time and it resulted in complete replacement of the expensive valves and some guides along with all the work of R+R on the heads and associated components.

Good luck with it and one hour sounds about right if you don't break any bolts.

Vic

post #36 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM

Post imported post

hi vic i don't plan on replacing any crank bolts or the like. just a straight belt replacement looks easy in the photo. will pull the cover and if "push comes to shove"and the damm things looks to complicated i'll bolt it all back and take it my local honda dealer. try rebulding a delorean intake system that is truly scary..

scot
post #37 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

I seriously doubt that you would break a crank bolt Scot. It's thebolts in the covers that I'm concerned about. What happens is that folks overtighten those cover bolts then they bottom and seize in the aluminum. Best thing to use is a 3/8" drive impact gun and let it hammer gentlyuntil the bolt comes out, if it's seized. Twisting on a seized 6mm bolt with a long handle will almost always snap it off at the threads. Just feel carefully for any seizing before you start spinning those belt cover bolts off.

If you're talking about the Renault/Delorean intake you should be able to easily handle the timing belt change.

Vic

post #38 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Post imported post

the renault/volvo intake is truly a nitemare. i broke off 2 studs [rust] they have pipes on the bottom of the manifold that you must feel aroung for when you re-install the manifold plus removing the gas lines water pump distributor and the like is nerve racking so i can't imagine the timing belts would be much too difficult a project.. is there any way to readjust the timing on the wing?

p.s. a policy of mine. i never buy anything i can't fix myself.. within reason of course.

post #39 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

If you're talking ignition timing there is no adjustment. If you're talking about camshaft timing there is much room for adjustment but you don't want to go there because of that valve/piston relationship thing.

I don't expect that you'll have any problems with the belt change. Just check, doublecheck and triplecheck all of the alignment marks before you spin the engine.

Vic

post #40 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Post imported post

hi vic, 2 questions. i have removed the timing bolts [holding the covers in place] i noticed i screw/bolt is much longer than the other 3 [total 4] do you know where this longer bolt goes? i was not paying attention the the sizes.left right inner outer ? also the covers are stuck on there really good is there a way to seperate these gracefully
or are there any more hidden bolts that i haven't found??

thx for your help

scot
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page