Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Reference and FAQ Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/)
-   -   Adding an amplifier and equalizer to improve the 1500's sound - Rudy shows you how (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/281644-adding-amplifier-equalizer-improve-1500s-sound-rudy-shows-you-how.html)

Wendell 03-06-2007 08:29 PM

Adding an amplifier and equalizer to improve the 1500's sound - Rudy shows you how

I have not been able to get into the manual or the bike just yet. So I was wondering if anyone knows if the connectors for the rear speakers are already in place? I see where I can get the rear speaker kit, including the wire harness for around $35-40. The bike is a 1988 GL1500. Thanks! Wendell

Rudy 03-06-2007 08:35 PM

imported post

Wendell, my 89 already had rear speakers and harness as well as an aftermarket fader, which I have now removed.

The easiest way to see if you have rear speaker wiring is to open your rear trunk lid and see if wiring is going up into the rear speaker housings through a round hole in the bracket of the hinges.

If not, you need a harness. One thing I have been doing this winter is eliminatating all the existing speaker wiring by bringing the radio outputs back to the trunk and wiring monster cable wiring from the trunk to the front and rear speakers. In the trunk I mounted a quad 80 watt amp and a graphic equalizer with front to rear fader. Once set I don't need to get to them while riding since I still have volume and tone controls in the radio itself.

If you want details, just ask.

2wings 03-07-2007 01:01 AM

imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:

In the trunk I mounted a quad 80 watt amp and a graphic equalizer with front to rear fader. Once set I don't need to get to them while riding since I still have volume and tone controls in the radio itself.

Rudy I would like the details and a pic of your work in this post would be helpful.

Keep on Winging:bat:

englishted 03-07-2007 02:22 AM

imported post

Wendell, the connectors for the speakers to plug into are under the saddle at the rear in the black rubber boot.

Rudy 03-07-2007 07:27 AM

imported post

2wings wrote:
Quote:

Rudy wrote:
Quote:

In the trunk I mounted a quad 80 watt amp and a graphic equalizer with front to rear fader. Once set I don't need to get to them while riding since I still have volume and tone controls in the radio itself.

Rudy I would like the details and a pic of your work in this post would be helpful.

Keep on Winging:bat:
I'll try to take some shots tonight and give you the details once I escape working for the man.

Rudy 03-07-2007 06:40 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
This is a series so give me a minute to get all the shots in here...

Here is how I eliminated my fader and added an amp and equalizer.
This system was designed to use minimum space in the trunk and still utilize the radio as the audio source for everything.

Starting with removing the fader:

The fader is 5 watts and a fairly useless makeshift method of doing fades. It won't support the existing system wattage and it sure as hell won't support higher wattages.

Rudy 03-07-2007 06:43 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Follow the fader wiring to the speaker/radio plugins next to the CB.

Rudy 03-07-2007 06:47 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the two jacks (front black male pins and rear white male pins speakers) and one plug (radio output, white female connector) with the fader harness removed.

These three connectors are part of the Honda harness.

4 pins each... two for the left side and two for the right side in each connector.

Rudy 03-07-2007 06:50 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Take the fader harness to make a jumper because we are going to use the bike's own wiring to send the radio output to the rear speaker housings where we can pick it up and send it to the amp in the trunk without making any cuts or mods to the bike wiring. From there we will bridge it to a new wire to take it into the trunk for the new audio system.

Rudy 03-07-2007 06:52 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Fader harness, cut stripped and heat shrink tubing in place.