Safe riding tips - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Model: 1997 1500 SE
Post imported post

My newest learned trick: don't pass on the right unless you are SURE you can see thru the vehicle you're passing. I wasbehind a tall SUV that was turning left at an intersection and moved to the right to pass...and a large pickup truck with trailer made a left turn from across the intersection, right in front of me. He looked surprised, too...but he would have survived the impact had it occured. It wasn't a very close call, but it's not gonna happen again.

I'm new to motorcycling (July '07) and I'm conditioning myself to treat each ride out as a real-life video game...you know, where things jump out at you from every direction and everyone's gunning for you.I count every safe mile as a 'win' and I remind myself that there's no 'reset' button or extra lives in this game!

Thanks for the tips...thisis a very helpful thread and I'm taking notes.

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
..and \'the Black Pearl\'
1997 GL1500SE w/MotorTrike
Macomb, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Model: 1997 1500 SE
Post imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Quote:
Living in the "tall corn state" when we ride on the back roads, we all stay on the center line this time of year. Deer jumping from the corn fields in an instant. If you are riding on the center line, it gives you just that few extra feet that may save your life. I know some of you always ride stagered. I agree for the most part. However, on backroads with 7-8 foot tall corn not more than 5 feet from the side of the road, you need every second you can get to avoid those nasty forest rats.
Deer are a major issue here, too. When we're rolling down a two-lane road with forest on one side and a cornfield on the other, I slowdown and sweep my head from side to side, looking for any movement. As was mentioned, you miss some scenery...as long as the mobile contigent of the scenery misses you!

Dead deer carcasses on theside of the road are asure signthat you're not alone...

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
..and \'the Black Pearl\'
1997 GL1500SE w/MotorTrike
Macomb, MI
post #23 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Post imported post

Clarkins wrote:
Quote:
My newest learned trick: don't pass on the right unless you are SURE you can see thru the vehicle you're passing. I wasbehind a tall SUV that was turning left at an intersection and moved to the right to pass...and a large pickup truck with trailer made a left turn from across the intersection, right in front of me. He looked surprised, too...but he would have survived the impact had it occured. It wasn't a very close call, but it's not gonna happen again.
The infamous "Left Turn" gets more motorcyclists than any other move that car drivers make. There's very little room to escape when the oncoming car takes up all of your space.

Larry G.

1985 GL1200 Interstate
Previous bikes:
1971 Suzuki Hustler 250
1973 Yamaha RD 350
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Post imported post

I like Clarkin's video game concept. It does appear that it's them against you at all times, and they come from nowhere in all shapes and sizes. On two lane streets I avoid passing on the right at intersections even when I think I can see the on coming lane is clear. If there isn't any traffic coming the vehicle should move on, if there is on coming traffic somebody may just decide to exit left "dead" in front of you.Then there's the last minute " Oh crap this ain't where I turn" that puts you in the gutter or worse yet the back of a parked car.

Iglance at my rear view mirrors each time I sweepmy vison from side to side. Knowing where the traffic is behind is important to me, because I ride claiming the lane. Letting the bike change from track to track ever few hundred yards or soas road conditions permit gives me a feel for mytires and suspension. Also allows my hinney a little side to side relief. (Thats gradual changes, not swoops from side to side) Seems most of the roads give you enough excuse to change tracks with potholes and bits and pieces of road trash anyway.

A friend thats a Harley rider had areally bad experience several months ago. He was in traffic on I35 driving about 60-70 mph. He was behind a van with a good space between them when the van blew a radiator dumping all the antifreeze onto the roadway. The steam and smoke blinded the van driver and he slammed on his brakes and started pulling off the road. When Joe let off the throttle he was already in the coolant. Hes got the brakes on now but he's already going down.He did manage to stay on the high side ofhis motorcycle thru most of the slide. He got throwed offclose to the end of the slide and ended up with somepretty nasty rash on his hands, right arm and side. No broken bones or fractures and not much real meat lost.More than luck and skill involved to dump at 60+ in traffic and walk away. The Harley is even repairable. His medical bills are less than the repairs to the Harley.
post #25 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

The 2 impacts that worry me the most are rear end and left turn in front of me.
This is the primary reason I installed an external alternator so I could run extra lights both front and rear.

One little mistake I made once was to let off the brake which turns off the brake light. An SUV behind me, apparently focusing in on my brake lights, figured I was going to start moving. (I keep an eye on both mirrors and scan constantly). I saw her lurch forward under power but stopped quick an inch from hitting me.

From now on I hold the brake on at intersections til ready to move and the high beam is on during the day.

There are many good and courteous cagers out there, but unfortunately there are way too many that dont give a rats ass about collision avoidance with cars, let alone bikes.
It's amazing how it's like a no holds barred scenario for some of these drivers!
They'll just do whatever they want with absolutely no regard for the law or other drivers.
The only thing important to them is getting where THEY want to go.
Forget about everybody else.

Be careful out there!

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

One recommendation I heard and like to do is When going through an intersection always try and go through with an other vehicle next to you, either speed up or slow down so you are part of a bigger picture for people to see. And if I cant, I always turn on my fog lights well before the lights.

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
post #27 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

steve604 wrote:
Quote:
Vehicles/people to stay away from:

If it was painted with house paintand a roller.

Ifa pickuphas more thantwo cases of empty beer cans in the back.

If you can hear their music over a Harley with drag pipes.

If the driver is on more than one electronic devise, cell phone, blackberry, lap top, etc.

Ifthe driver isputting on makeup in the rear view mirror.

If they have blue hair

If they have pink hair.

Any more?

And people looking through the steering wheel instead of over it.

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
post #28 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM

Year: 2004
Make: Honda
Model: 2004 GL1800 Champion trike
Post imported post

A few things I try to keep in mind...

Inspect the bike, check the tire preassure before a ride. When getting back on from a stop during a ride, I like to come up to the bike from the right side and giveit a 360° visual while walking around to the left side to mount up.

Other users of the road (even other motorcyclists) are out to hit you.

Protect your lane, but don't defend it.

Ride within your own comfort level.

If you have a co-rider, listen to them. My wife is an extra set of eyes, most of the time I've already identified a potential threat, but she has less to do on the pillion and can catch things that I don't see and warn me about them. Besides, the thumping on the helmet is distracting if I don't listen to her.

Take a safety course, and keep taking them.I don't know what is available on the other side of that big lake, but the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses in the US taught me a lot and got me a 10% on my insurance. Every 3 years I take the Experienced Rider Course. Helps to unlearn any bad habits I've picked up and keeps the discount.

Don - 2004 GL1800 Champion trike & 1990 HD FLHS-1 less wheel
Motorcycle rights activist-Member of:
AMA-

MRF-

FORR Local 11 Legislative Officer-

ABATE of Ar Dist.4 Local Board & Legislative Liaison -

Mid South M.I.L.E. committee -

post #29 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 AM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Post imported post

One rule I try to follow is, don't be the first one to leave the intersection when the traffic light changes.
post #30 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

Cagers--not all but some, will naturally bully smaller vehicles like motorcycles. We do not appear to be a big threat to them and so they will use closer limits when crossing our path or cutting out on us. Some of that may be a genuine "not seeing us" issue too, as cagers are conditioned to watch for other cars and vehicles that are bigger than them and therefore a threat to them.

All of the pointers given here are very important and one would have to be stupid to not read them and learn from the vast amount of rider experience that is speaking here. It is always helpful to be reminded of all those things, and I guess that it boils down to common sense and defensive driving.

I am grateful for this thread.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page