Safe riding tips - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Here's a nice trick.

pretty much everyone has heard of a rider that was hurt or killed because he was unable to avoid an object in the road.

The 1st way to avoid this is to always make sure you have enough clear road ahead of you. However, sometimes thru no fault of your own you have less space ahead than you'd like. (many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)

when I'm riding on blacktop in low traffic conditions sometimes I'll pretend a road patch or dark spot in my line of travel is debris in the road. I'll practice making an abrupt manuever to avoid the spot.

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Larry G. wrote:
Quote:
fysty-1 wrote:
Quote:
That's not to say I have never layed a bike down. I have done this quite a # of times in the past in accident avoidence. Someone pulls out in front of me, I just lay her down & step off.

I have never understood the wisdom behind "laying it down." Does the bike stop sooner sliding on metal and plastic, totally out of control, than it does on the rubber tires with brakes applied?
Sometimes it is that "choose your time and place". I once purposefully laid a Yamaha 750 twin down so that I could go "under" the rear bumper when a drunk pulled out across the road in front of me. Having chosen to do that, I held onto the bike, squeezed my knees and rode it out. Not a scratch on me.

When approaching an intersection and another vehicle is also approaching from your left: Assume that they definitely cannot see you. Why? Because your bike is hidden behind their right A pillar. Think about it, both of you are at about the same speed, you are behind the A pillar and you stay that way right up to the point of impact.

The UPS driver's 5 points. What he was telling us is what the Smith Driver Safety System teaches.

My wish is that everyone go back to the first page and reread those 5 points. No, print them out in a large font and put that paper on your front seat or gas tank. Think about it everyday until you make it a habit.

Always stop at intersections at an angle, cover your brake and keep it flashing the light, stay in low gear and be ready to jump. Park back a full 30 feet so you have room to move.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

I intentionaly laid a bike down once. and it saved my life.

I used to ride year round. didn't car if the roads were wet icy snowy snow over ice it didn't matter I rode.

late on nigh. On a country road that was abput an inch of ice coverd by about two inched of fresh snow. An oncoming eighteen wheeler suddeny jackeknifed in front of me the trailer swinging right across my lane.

Hit the rear brake and gave the bars just a little twitch androde her down on her side and slid under the trailer and out the other side. Through nothing but sheer dumb luckI actually managed to pull the bike up onto it's wheels again and come to a safe stop.

So yeah...sometimes dumping the bike is the thing to do.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Drive like you're invisible.............

Mike
Finally, old enough to know better. Just need some common sense now......
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

post #45 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Garage
Post imported post

You were a better man than I, my steed didn't know how to get its' wheels back upright. It went down for the sliding count.

~ John

post #46 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Not better...just luckier. I just happened to hit it just right and by dumb luck had nothing to do with skill bring it up.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

post #47 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Post imported post

I always consider every car on the road is out to kill me, sounds negative but it's saved me a lot of times. I also don't use highway pegs they look comfortable but I like having my feet right at the controls. Also watch out for cell phone users they are not paying attention to their driving. And last but not least I maintain my brakes in tiptop condition over 40 years of riding they've saved me many times. Ride well, Bob

Bob, why me? cross? 1981 gl1100 standard
post #48 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Please read and be aware. I participate in a diesel truck forum and came across this which was just posted two hours ago. Hits very close to home with both us as users, and with the theme of this thread.

The 2nd post was in response to Mr. Lent's post in the 1st post. How tragic is a loss of life, and all within the space of a few hours of each other.
==================================
Cummins724 09-23-2007 06:26 AM
freak accident! Please pray!

My brother was riding his Yamaha 700 Raptor yesterday & the wheel flew off spinning him out of control. He got ejected from the quad into a backhoe attachment sitting in my back field which killed him on impact. When I ran to the scene & saw my brother lying there he had no pulse & a bad head injury. I revived him & we called 911 lifeflight. When they got there his pulse was starting to drop & he faided away. He was 18 years old & his name is Jesse Lent. I am freaking out about this & I ask that prayers go out to my brother & my family.
-----------------------------------------------------------

LaserBob 09-23-2007 07:21 AM
From my heart to your family, I send prayers.

My 21 year old daughter died in a motorcycle accident midnight thursday-friday.

The young man she was with is on life support and it is unknown whether he will live or if so what he may have for a life.

Bob

~ John

post #49 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Post imported post

Just a little while ago when I was going down to my local cycle shop, there was a mini van in front of me. He/she slowed down, stoppedand had their left turn signal on. Speed was about 20 mph. I slowed a little and decided to pass on the right. Not a wise thing. As I began to pass, a car came out of the business driveway in front of the van. Had I not been watching closely, it would have been a nasty day for me. The good news is that I was able to stop with plenty of space to spare. Phew...another learning experience. Glad this wasn't a high speed thing....

Bob
It\'s not the destination in life that matters.
It\'s the journey and the friends that you make along the way.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm". ~George Orwell

Member:
GWRRA
Patriot Guard Rider
Warrior\'s Watch Rider
Saddle Sore 1000 Certified
2009 Run For The Wall
post #50 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Year: 1984
Make: Gold Wing
Model: Aspencade 1200
Post imported post

w5blt wrote:
Quote:
Just a little while ago when I was going down to my local cycle shop, there was a mini van in front of me. He/she slowed down, stoppedand had their left turn signal on. Speed was about 20 mph. I slowed a little and decided to pass on the right. Not a wise thing. As I began to pass, a car came out of the business driveway in front of the van. Had I not been watching closely, it would have been a nasty day for me. The good news is that I was able to stop with plenty of space to spare. Phew...another learning experience. Glad this wasn't a high speed thing....

This points out to me that the most important thing we can do is to slow down, always assume that there is someone who will cross your path without warning, plan your escape strategy and always be aware of all possible SH!T that can happen. I don't have the experience that a lot of you have, but I'm extremely careful and doing that has helped to keep me accident free for the better part of a decade that I've been riding now and I hope and believe will keep me safe for many years to come.

Slowing down, always thinkingand giving yourself stopping room or a space to escape into can get you out of a lot of trouble.

Wow, I had no idea I've posted 147 times how. I had no idea it's been so much. I hope this one has helped someone. This is a great thread, BTW.

1984 Honda Gold Wing 1200 c.c.
2000 Honda Shadow American Classic Edition 1100 c.c.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page