2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Problem with this thread is the paradox of there being so many situations possible for threats and probably more than that for minimizing them from broad generalities to specific acts that may be contradicted in another situation.

With that in mind, I'll throw out one for one set of situations I see in the city.

When travelling down major streets with cross and lane divided traffic (not freeways),
When traffic gets sparse, like early morning or late evening, work your way up the back of a pack of cars but don't move in from the last position, but keep reasonably close to the pack. Your job here is to make yourself part of the larger crowd without joining it.

Follow that balloon close enough that waiting left turners don't need to see you for you to fit into the group if lights. Also if there are two lanes on each side, stay in the fast lane to minimize the bad opportunites that appear as people try to join or leave the crowd from the right (or slow lane).

If the crowd dissipates, try to scurry as soon as is practical to catch up with the next balloon of cars up ahead.

Don't leave yourself out there alone and don't get mixed up with the bulls in the pen.

If they come in behind you, let them get around you and join the back again.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Lots of good words there Rudy.

I abhor the outside lane(s) if for no other reason than our safety instructor from Smith Driver Training System taught us to drive in the "Path of Least Resistance". That path is dynamic and will change for you as you drive along.

It might be the #3 lane or the #2 lane, but largely it should never be the #1 lane. That is because the #1 lane can become obstructed by vehicles entering from side streets and hidden driveways.

For me, it has become a habit to get out of the #1 lane as fast as possible, even if it is clear for the next mile in front of you. It just doesn't stay that way, and when that idiot pulls out without looking for you/me, it only takes 3 seconds for clear to turn to blocked.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

Here's another one to add to the list.

I wear a white helmet, brighter colors are easier seen than darker colors.

It\'s not what you buy, it\'s what you build.

Victory Riders CMA Road Captain:

Illinios Chapter Wild Rinos Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM

Post imported post

One thing i try to do when you've got them really bad windy days and you are passing trucks, i try to look ahead and wait for embankments, bridges overhead, trees etc, anything that will ease the wind and pass quickly at these points.

Derek and Maggie

GL1800 2004 US spec White.
post #55 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 AM

Post imported post

i ride during the week so as to stay clear of weekend wannabe's and crotch rockets, it has worked for 30yrs so far....

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #56 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM

Post imported post

What I always watch for (and scares me) is anytime I approach an intersection where I have a green light. I always assume that some cell-phone talking cager is going to run the cross street red light and into me. It pisses off the people behind me when I slow down for a green light, but I haven't been hit yet, so I suppose it's working.

Same thing goes for an intersection where I don't have a stop sign, and the cross street does.

When on highways, I always travel in the leftmost lane, so I always have an available escape route (the shoulder). If there is construction or something else so that there are Jersey barriers or guardrailsand no shoulder, I'll move to an inner lane.

Everytime I hit my brakes, I make it a habit of looking in my mirror to watch what the idiot behind me is doing. If he is obviously not realizing I'm braking and coming up on me fast, I use my escape route. I ride to and from work 35 miles each way on highways a lot, and a great deal of it is in traffic, so I bet I have to do this 2-3 times a week.

Read my
post #57 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Post imported post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My best driving advice....pretend you're invisible

Tim
This is good as long as the other guy does not also pretend that you are invisible!!!
post #58 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Post imported post

JLGoldwing wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My best driving advice....pretend you're invisible

Tim
This is good as long as the other guy does not also pretend that you are invisible!!!

He doesn't have to pretend - to him, you ARE invisible!

Read my
post #59 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Post imported post

In the safety class I took prior to getting my endorsement for my license, they taught us to look through the turn to where you want to go and the bike will follow your eyes. If you look down you will go down, if you look directly in front of the wheel you will miss an obstacle that might cause you to swerve.

Another tip is whenever I am coming up to a green light that I have been watching and I think might turn I look at the pedestrian signs on the poles on the corner. If they are flashing red, I slow down.

"If your going to ride, make sure it\'s on a Wing."

Previous ride-1981 GL1100 Standard.
Current ride-1993 GL1500 Interstate
post #60 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Post imported post

cldryder wrote:
Quote:
(many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)

I want to put that on the back of my riding jacket!!!!

"If your going to ride, make sure it\'s on a Wing."

Previous ride-1981 GL1100 Standard.
Current ride-1993 GL1500 Interstate
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page