Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

deradler1 wrote:
Quote:
Another tip is whenever I am coming up to a green light that I have been watching and I think might turn I look at the pedestrian signs on the poles on the corner. If they are flashing red, I slow down.
Most of our crosswalk light are white to cross, flashing red when they want you to hurry up a bit, then solid red as the light is about to change. I watch them too.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

I too keep an eye on the pedestrian light at intersections. But that is just one quick piece of information I need to pass safely.
This is another case where the fast lane is best.

As I approach the intersection, I ASSUME there will be someone trying to run the red light in one of three directions. I am in the center of the path so I have the most room and therefore time to impact. I try to set my position so that I'm not locked in to a single path.
If I am, that is the only time I slow down. Otherwise, I want to maintain my speed to allow faster diversions to a new route and around existing traffic.
You have to be able to see all this before you enter the intersection so you are down to a couple of alternates when you enter it. The rest is just a matter of scanning quickly left and right and that the oncoming left turner isn't moving, looking for that flying object.

Ideally, I like to follow a car through on the fast lane with exit options on at least the right side.

The car in front of me pins the oncoming left turner for me. He also adds presence for anyone trying to enter from the right or someone blasting through from the side.

All I have to do is watch the car in front while riding in his visibility vortex and be ready to divert left or right beside him, into the holes I try to have, if I get a red light runner or he decides he's stopping right after the intersection.

Close enough to ride behind and just far enough behind to divert left or right.

The pedestrian light just gives you a clue as to how the scenario might be played by others involved. Remember, you don't exist.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #63 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
Ideally, I like to follow a car through on the fast lane with exit options on at least the right side.
You and me both, brother..... I use as many of those metal Guardians as my Angels can provide for me.

On the 3+ lane intersections, I like to be in #2 lane. When the light goes green, I let #1 and #3 lanes pull out first and stick their nose in it. Then, after I can see behind the rear of each, and know it is clear left and right, I go through with them. A quick twist of the throttle and I am in front of them so I can see both right and left all the way down the street to the next intersection.

Hopefully, I timed it right to catch the green and I coast though with foot/hands on brakes and 5-10 seconds after the green.

That kind of exercise to diligence has kept me away from the contact sport of greeting the cagers first hand.

Hopefully, my Angel will stay with me and not let me "fall asleep" on the job of watching for the one that is "out to get you".

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Post imported post

At work, the entire company is going through a series of lectures titled "Safe Start Training". The main theme of the training is:

[align=center]Mind on task
Eyes on task
[/align]
It seems that those that ride bikes are more attuned to this than any cager only because of the potential danger envolved in riding a bike.

However, after going through about 60% of the training and thinking about these two idea, I have cometo the following conclusion. We simply need to define what "task" means in reference to what we're doing. It could be one thing at work, another at home and another when we mount up for a ride on our GW's.

Bob
It\'s not the destination in life that matters.
It\'s the journey and the friends that you make along the way.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm". ~George Orwell

Member:
GWRRA
Patriot Guard Rider
Warrior\'s Watch Rider
Saddle Sore 1000 Certified
2009 Run For The Wall
post #65 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Pat

Post imported post

Hi all,

Firstly can I say what an awesome site this is - full of excellent information.

I have always adopted the principle that all other drivers cannot see me and even if they can they are still going to try and kill me.

Pat
Kawasaki GPZ550
Kawasaki GPX250
Suzuki GS500E
Suzuki RF600
BMW R1100RT
post #66 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I caught this article in our local newspaper this morning:

Chandler, AZ
evtribune.com

a 33 year old Chandler man suffered life-threatening injuries Thursday in a motorcycle crash.

Chandler police spokesman Detective Frank Mendoza said Greg Sexton was riding west on Hawken Way when he failed to negotiate a curve at Arrowhead Drive and crashed into landscaping and a wall.

After I read that report, I wondered what the circumstances could be. I pulled up a map of the area and from that, I can only deduce that this guy was driving way over the speed limit, and obviously his skill level.

As this is a Safety Thread, I thought it appropriate to include some analysis of incidents we hear about. Maybe by dissecting these, we can learn from them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawken Way - Arrowhead Dr.jpg (24.8 KB, 323 views)

~ John

post #67 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Hi Pat and welcome to the site.

Can't beat a member who keeps his site name simple... even this old fox should be able to remember that one!!!

I see you aren't too far afield from us, so maybe we will catch up on the road sometime. Perhaps you woud like to join us for the Meet and Greet scheduled for next August in North Wales. Details on the events forum.

Keep assuming you are invisible and that will keep you safest.

Enjoy the forums and visit often.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #68 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Got to have been either going too fast or lost concentration completely. Only other explanation might be an oncoming vehicle, turning too wide , forcing him to divert and crash, which incidentally has happened to me, with fairly disasterous results.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #69 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Post imported post

You know my friends, it is the one thing every country, no matter how big or small, has in common,and thats those on the road that only think of them selves. I ride with every part of me on high alert. It is so easy to get "in with the ride" but as soon as traffic appears trust no one. Keep safe all.

I TRAVEL,NOT TO GET ANYWHERE, BUT TO GO."I TRAVEL FOR TRAVELS SAKE"
post #70 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Post imported post

A good tactic when riding open road and you see cross traffic, or on coming traffic....move the bike left/right a foot or so...maintain your track or shift lane tracks...the human eye will pick up this movement quicker than any thing else...better than switching from low beam to high beam or visa versa. Makes you less invisible.

Dark Blue Pearl
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page