Safe riding tips - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM

Post imported post

AZgll1500...that crash is so familiar....investigated several similar..the common denominator....speed, alcohol...probably at night?

Dark Blue Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Pat wrote:
Quote:
Firstly can I say what an awesome site this is - full of excellent information.

I have always adopted the principle that all other drivers cannot see me and even if they can they are still going to try and kill me.
Hey Pat [shadow=lime]You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow]

You have just stated the most true words that youwill ever speak highlighted in Redand just to add to your statement, the first words that will come out of their filthy mouth after they have knocked you downis

"sorry I didn't see you"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #73 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Eric in Lincoln wrote:
Quote:
AZgll1500...that crash is so familiar....investigated several similar..the common denominator....speed, alcohol...probably at night?
I'm guessing it was in the night time hours, however, the newspaper article didn't say. I quoted it verbatim as printed. It was one of the "news in briefs this week" kind of summaries our local paper does.

If you look at the satellite photo closely, there is evidence of something having gouged out a nice little groove in the pavement near that intersection. Can we call it an "intersection" ? It's a right angle turn in the road.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to longhaireddwb
Post imported post

cldryder wrote:

(many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one really hits home for me!!!

I'd love to have that put on the front of my dump truck in reverse so the idiots filling the spot can read it in their mirror and maybe get the hell out of my space!!!

Beige 98 S.E.

post #75 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Post imported post

longhaireddwb wrote:
Quote:
cldryder wrote:

(many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one really hits home for me!!!

I'd love to have that put on the front of my dump truck in reverse so the idiots filling the spot can read it in their mirror and maybe get the hell out of my space!!!
Ah, but the problem there is they don't look in the mirror. They're too busy eating, drinking,talking on the phone, listening to crazy music as loud as it'll go, putting on makeup, reading movie magazines, changing their clothes, etc., etc.

Larry G.

1985 GL1200 Interstate
Previous bikes:
1971 Suzuki Hustler 250
1973 Yamaha RD 350
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
post #76 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Larry G. wrote:
Quote:
Ah, but the problem there is they don't look in the mirror. They're too busy eating, drinking,talking on the phone, listening to crazy music as loud as it'll go, putting on makeup, reading movie magazines, changing their clothes, etc., etc.
That reminds me of when I was on active duty at FT Campbell, I was at the Waffle House one morning and a cop I knew was telling me that the day before, they caught a cage driver at 95 mph changing out of his PT clothes and into his uniform. Talk about multitasking!

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #77 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Post imported post

One thing I always do is remember I am merely a bug compared to automobiles. No matter what I do in coming into contact with a car or truck I will always come out the loser. Period.

Second, I always assume nobody can see me, as stated on multiple threads above. Therefore I do all I can to increase their awareness of me: flashing lights, honking the horn, running with my foglights on - all to make them aware but still assuming they can't see me. Yesterday I was in the passing lane passing Annapolis, MD and two sport bikes were racing and a little low-rider was following, racing as well. I wasn't aware of the car until I moved into the right lane to make room for any other sport bikes, then the low-rider moved into the same space from the right. I immediately pushed my left handlebar and vacated the space, even though I was there first, remembering rule #1.

Third, I always remember that the world can be a kinder, gentler place as I always am kind to others, motioning them in if they're trying to get into my lane, waiting for slower drivers to pass in parking lots, generally being helpful whenever and wherever I am. I am constantly amazed at how scared many drivers are, they have a panicked look on their face - I help these folks the most. The aggressive drivers here in the Washington DC area cow the 'scared' drivers, not letting them out of the merge lane, for instance, so I make it a point to let them in (when it is safe).

My last point is that the Goldwing is a 900 pound behemoth that handles as nimbly as a sport bike when moving, but when I slow down or stop I make it a point to remember that it is 900 pounds and can easily tip over.

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
post #78 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Post imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Quote:
Something else I do. When passing an eighteen wheeler ont eh interstate I pull up fairly close behind it in the same lane, this lets me slip through the slistream of displaced air behind him, this make acceleration easier when I pop out from behind him in the other lane it takes a very little twist of the trottle to speed up by five or ten miles perhour just coming out of that slipstream.
I strongly recommend not following an eighteen wheeler in the same lane, as their tires tend to disintegrate and explode at the most unpredictable times. I can't count the number of times I have been near a truck, either in my SUV or my bike, when I have heard a loud pop and seen chunks of tire flying out to the side or the rear. These chunks are large enough to take your head off...

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
post #79 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Post imported post

joelhar wrote:
Quote:
I strongly recommend not following an eighteen wheeler in the same lane, as their tires tend to disintegrate and explode at the most unpredictable times. I can't count the number of times I have been near a truck, either in my SUV or my bike, when I have heard a loud pop and seen chunks of tire flying out to the side or the rear. These chunks are large enough to take your head off...
Ditto. A lot of states allow retread tires on tractor-trailer rigs. IMO, this is a very dangerous situation. They come apart like a bomb when they fail. If you're in the way, the pieces could kill you. Also, a lot of trailers aren't maintained well and can cause more havoc. I know a guy who's car got hit when a whole axle assembly came off of a trailer. He was hurt pretty badly, but survived. If he'd been on a motorcycle, he'd have probably been killed.

Larry G.

1985 GL1200 Interstate
Previous bikes:
1971 Suzuki Hustler 250
1973 Yamaha RD 350
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
post #80 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Quote:
Lane changers are another one to watch out for, especially the many foreign lorry drivers that frequent our roads, with left hand drive vehicles, they often cannot see us as we are passing them and pull out suddenly. I have had this happen on more than one occasion and even when driving a big van.
Hey Silverfox thats cause those baskets dont use their mirrors properly or not used at all

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page