Safe riding tips - Page 9 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Post imported post

Something from a truck driver with over a million safe driving miles.

I have used this from our defensive driving system which checks out every driver in the company once a year.

Its the smith system of driving.

1. Haste makes waste.Clear your mind on the road and treat any vehicle as a loaded weapon.Dont look down the barrel and dont point it at something you dont wish to kill.

2. See and be seen.Although cagers may think you are rude and obnoxious, fingers and hand signals allow others to see you.Make sure you see them also.Not the vehicle but the person in the vehicle Are they paying attention,reading ,on the cellphone,or making out with the passenger.

3. leave an out.Always expect the unexpected and leave room to react.Can you safely hit the brakes or change lanes if you have to?

4.Aim high in steering.Keep you eyes way ahead in traffic.Many times you will see a truck change lanes 2 miles befgore having to.usually before on and off ramps where confusion usually sets in.You will rarely see a truck behind a vehicle with the hazards on.

5.Im really not sure what the 5th one is.But ive been good sofar.

Keep the shiny side up and your head on the road.Not ON the road

I have returned to the wonderful saunders forum after a 2 year hiatus. I realilzed the grass can never be greener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I took the same Smith Driver Training course.
I seem to remember the following from that (I also cheated and went to their web sitehttp://smith-system.com/ )

Bald Faced Advertisement
Smith System is the leader in professional driver training. Our trademarked Five Keys of Space Cushion Driving focuses on the core driving fundamentals of space, visibility and time.

But it has worked for me, except in those times when I "got in a hurry", then the system broke

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Confine your stunt riding and racing to controlled areas, such as race tracks, not on public roads. Done on public roads, it's not only dangerous to you and others around you, but it also helps to further tarnish the reputation of all motorcyclists.

I also think headlight and brake light modulators make you more visible, especially headlight modulators. I get asked about mine all the time, and also get people flashing their lights at me, and even pulling over when I come up behind them. That shows me they are noticing me.

I also recommend rider's education to anyone that hasn't taken it before, or even if you have but it has been a while. It never hurts to sharpen our skills.

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Model: GL 1800
Post imported post

I'd have to say one ofthe most important thingsis,

Payattention to what your doing.

John
2006 GL1800
Dark Red
DarkSider
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16 RF

post #85 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Biker John wrote:
Quote:
I'd have to say one ofthe most important thingsis,

Payattention to what your doing.

The #1 thing I stressed to all my MSFC students was:

"RIDE LIKE EVERYONE IS OUT TO KILL YOU AT ALL TIMES"

"EVERY RIDE"

--------------------------------------
Chuck Elliot (211Chuck) is no longer with us. He passed away on January 25, 2013, age 59.
--------------------------------------

86 1200 (sold) - 00 ZX 11 Ninja (sold)

50th Anniversary GL 1500 SE

03 Concours

2007 Ultra Classic (B-Day present from wife)

06 Lees-ure-Lite camper

Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground is my second home...
post #86 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM

Model: 2012 GL-1800
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Flyone
Post imported post

Good Thread Everyone!!

We can't be careful enough out there!

2012 GL-1800,2001 Cycle Mate CM2000 LTD Trailer
PM of Northstar Masonic Lodge #168, Wichita, KS 2B1ASK1, Midian Shriner, AOPA, Founding member of Wild Rhinos and KANWINGS
NASSIR 5 Host - which was an honor and pleasure to serve the members of this forum.
RIP Pop Fly
post #87 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Post imported post

I always watch out forpeple thatare so short they are looking through their steering wheel, barely above the dash. They never see you.

Read my
post #88 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Post imported post

Well I am new on here but have 33 years riding and 20 years as a paramedic. Seems the guys on here have a good sense of safety so no need to go over the speed, alcohol and helmet thing. Unfortunately I live in a Navy town where kids buy crotch rockets with zero experience and kill themselves within a few days. Two just this week alone. Here are a few things I have noted.

In a two vehicle accident left turning car into path of bike is the most likely to prove fatal. Assume every car in the left lane or turn lane WILL turn into you and be prepared. If it ever happens I would try and lay the bike down. Full frontal impact or a high side is not a good thing. The only lowside fatalities I have seen occur when the rider slides under a guard rail or is actually run over.

NEVER place anything in a pocket that you would not want inserted into your body. Worked an accident where a guy layed the bike down in gravel. Full protective gear and minimal damage to the bike. Only he was dead. Not a mark on him but he had a small screwdriver clipped on his shift pocket. It went into his chest between two ribs and punctured his aorta.

When at an intersection after the light turns green look both ways before going into the intersection. If approaching a " stale " green light look both ways slow down and cover the brakes. A broad side while rarer than the left turn accident will usually cause severe or fatal injuries as well.

When on a multi lane highway especially at night NEVER ride in the far left lane. Drunks and other idiots that somehow get on a limited access highway the wrong way will almost always ride in that lane assuming they are in the right lane for them. On a divided highway they may pass on the double yellow into the left lane or just swerve into it. In any case a head on collision with a car is a bad thing.

Take a look at your bike. Some accessories we add to our bikes could become weapons in an accident. Ask the rider with the cool pointed bar ends that was eviscerated by one of them. If it has a point or is sharp you may want to rethink having it. Look at everything and ask...what would happen if I hit that.

Over all the guy that rides safely and follows the rules lives. Usually even when the car is at fault the speed of the bike was a contributing factor. I lived through a broadside back in 82. I never want to go through that again. I like to say I " ride paranoid" because everything and everyone around me wants to kill me.

Be safe out there!

Going to get my Wing tomorrow 10/15!

Currently have a Kaw ZRX 1200
Previous bikes
79 Kaw KE175
80 Kaw KZ 550
82 Kaw KZ 1000R
84 Ka GPZ 750 Turbo
92 Harley 883
95 Harley FXD

post #89 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Good input from a guy who sees how not to do it. Thanks 140pilot.

BTW, How many still keep you up at night? Yeah, I used to do it too.

The family tree:
\'82 GL1100 ride and restore
850 T3 Moto Guzzi
650 Yamaha
500 Honda
500 Kawasaki H3
305 Honda
little red honda 50

Never ride faster than your angel can fly.
post #90 of 224 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Hey 140pilot;

Now I know the term for my riding style: PARANOID !!!

That is how I look at all the intersections and approaching cars.... They have a beeline on my 2 wheeler.........

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page