Excellent safety videos for 1800 owners - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Model: 2005 ABS
Post imported post

Great video's with lots of helpful hints.I will definitely bookmark this one

MUNDS

Vice President, Chapter 239
Star Touring & Riding
Middlesex County MA
Patroit Guard Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Post imported post

Thanks for the video's. I can't wait for the warm weather to return so I can practice some of the things in the video's. Thanks for sharing. Not too keen on dropping my bike yet on purpose.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Post imported post

Just thought that I'd add a little to the discussion on lifting the dropped bike. This is now how I change the rear wheel out on my GL1800. I loosen the lugs, place a strip of old carpet scrap on the drive, lay her over on the carpet on the Stbd side, extend the center stand and lift it ~ 1 inch (with a floor jack or wood lever) to clear the rear tire+wheel to come free, remove the lug nuts and pull the wheel out. Place the other (there are tons of spare rear wheels for 1800s out there due to trike take-offs) wheel on, spin on the lugs, lower the center stand jack and raise the stand. Make sure the side stand is extended and lift her like Paul shows. Then remember to torque the lugs! I've done it three times now with no problem or strain.

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM

Post imported post

Thank You for the GREAT videos. I DO understand the couterweighting but I have a question. I have never really understood WHY the road racing motorcycle riders nearly dragging their knee, and their butt is hanging off the seat on the SAME side that they are leaning to. It looks impossible, but when they go into a corner, they scoot their butt off the seat, on the same side, that just sort of amazes me. It looks to me like that could cause PUSHING, or either of the wheels to slide out.Thank You again for the GREAT Tips, I will practice them when Old Man Winter decides to head North.

Blessings

Steve-O GOOD JOB !!

Anything that I post ANYWHERE on these Forums is NOT meant to discriminate against ANY Nationality, Race, Creed, Color, or Religion, in MY world EVERYONE has a right to their own religion, and opinion, and I Love them ALL.
The ONLY People I DON\'T Like are TERRORISTS !
You Praise YOUR GOD, and I will Praise MINE, and That Does NOT make us Enemies !

PLEASE, Support our Troops

1984 GL1200 Aspencade
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Post imported post

Good videos! thanks

La dolce VITA
06 Yamaha Stratoliner/S
09 Honda GL 1800 Limited
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

Post imported post

La dolce VITA
06 Yamaha Stratoliner/S
09 Honda GL 1800 Limited
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Post imported post

b679995 wrote:
Quote:
Thank You for the GREAT videos. I DO understand the couterweighting but I have a question. I have never really understood WHY the road racing motorcycle riders nearly dragging their knee, and their butt is hanging off the seat on the SAME side that they are leaning to. It looks impossible, but when they go into a corner, they scoot their butt off the seat, on the same side, that just sort of amazes me. It looks to me like that could cause PUSHING, or either of the wheels to slide out.Thank You again for the GREAT Tips, I will practice them when Old Man Winter decides to head North.

Blessings

Steve-O GOOD JOB !!
The road racers (and us at speed for that matter) are fighting centrifugal force, something that is not a problem at the low speeds. At very high speed, the bike could touch hard parts levering the tires off of the pavement if the rider does not move more weight toward the inside of the turn to counter the forces. This allows the bike to be a bit more upright. If you have watched the famous "Yellow Wolf and Fuse" video, you heard and saw a lot of scraping. Yellow wolf claims to now be a much better rider, and says that he seldom scrapes a peg due to improved lines and body control. He also says that he now tries to avoid ever crossing the center line (even hanging over it is avoided). Ah, to have such skills as Yellow Wolf and Trialsman!

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Post imported post

These videos were VERY useful and helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to put them up on the web!
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Post imported post

Well i have learned even more than all of you, not only some tips for better riding there is also a double of me on the discusion of tight turns video. A guy to the left of the instructor aks a question and the camera moves to him, there is a tall guy behind him and he looks like me, height and size too, spooky cannot remember going to the states

Derek and Maggie

GL1800 2004 US spec White.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Preacher Man

Year: 1985
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1200L
Post imported post

Enjoyed the videos thanks- riding like that takes practice and a lot of it. I enjoyed a riding class given in Greensboro, NC. JD was a fine instructor. http://ridelikeapronc.com/

GOD is in control
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page