Custom tools you've made - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Post imported post

My Carb Sync Adj. Tools
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.JPG (17.1 KB, 1075 views)

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Post imported post

Great innovations Dan et al. Dan, I had a great chuckle over your rope stuffed in to wrong hole.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Post imported post

Thanks for all the looks at the custom tools. It helps to see how others use their knowledge to simplify their lives.

"The Duke of" Earl.
PGR member
IBA member #32000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 AM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Some very ingenius tools there guys, well done.
A simple one from me, to knock the GL1500steering lowerbearingouter raceout of the tube. The bend and filed out notch in the baris to reach around the base where the bearing sits. You can use a long (well over a foot long) bent screwdriver,but they weren't growing on trees that day and nobody was volunteering to loan me one knowing it would very likelybe ruined.
For me, a piece of scrap 8mm bar was simple andworked perfectly.

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Garage
Post imported post

i would say about 1/8th of my tool box are custom tools ive had the tool guys oogle at my ingenuity but the best rigged up tool has to be the cheater bar i mean come on its a classic

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Working as an equipment mechanic for over 30 some odd years, you have to either build or buy special tools to work on the various types of equipment you encounter....From cutting wrenches to bending them..Sometimes necessity was the mother of invention...Some things worked really well, others could cause you many many busted knuckles.......One of my fellow mechanics busted his knuckles bad enough to have to go to first aid....When the safety man found out it was caused by a "home made" tool, he came to the shop and made us open every drawer in our tool boxes.....Any tool that had been heated, welded on, etc we had to throw in this box he brought with him....Then all of our "special tools" were thrown in the salvage yard....It only took us about two weeks to remake all of our "specialty tools" again....Only this time we hid them where the safety man couldn't find them.....Funny but I have had tools break on me and either took them back to Sears, Snap-On, Mac. Proto, Cromwell etc, But I never had any of my "special tools" break??????....

One last thing on our safety man....I took several of my "home made" stuff to this chrome shop had them chromed and our "safety guy" never confiscated any of those tools....He thought they were factory made tools........Like I said necessity is the mother of invention....When I left there I sold all my "specialty tools" to a new mechanic, he was going to need them.....Where would I need now a 5 foot long 2in combination wrench?????

Claude.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

My Grandfather and his brother were tool and diemakers for Western electric, back before, during, and after the depression. When they needed tools, they made their own. All of them have the date made and their initials stamped on them.

Fast forward to now, and they are family heirlooms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Post imported post

All's I got is a spent 22 shell with one side smashed a bit and a wire soldered on it for adjusting the air mixture screw on my Honda Shadow

03 Honda XR650L
84 GL1200 Aspencade

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

This is a good thread, some really inventive members here.

Ben.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

Wish I could contribute to such a useful thread. But I can't even draw a straight line with Photoshop! My dad, however, after he retired from the ministry, started diddling around with antique clocks. He never purchased a special tool to work with the intricacies of these old clocks. He always made his own out of the existing tools he had in his garage. Pretty soon, he received a visitor. It was the regional rep from Seth Thomas. Seems my dad had become so well known that they wanted him to become their regional repair rep. He turned it down because he just enjoyed doing it for the local people in South Alabama.

Oh...almost forgot.....I did make one little "tool" to seat my fork caps back on. If you wanna call it a tool. But it worked for me

Again, excellent thread!

Mark
1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page