Custom tools you've made - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

13Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Post imported post

Similar to Cousin Jacks....
I needed drain my gas tank on the 1100 without removing it and the bike was not running at the time. I put a gas can on the floor next to it, and ran a 1/4" hose through the gas cap opening on the tank into the can. Then simply place the shop-vac nozzle over the gas can hole that had the hose running in. Turned on the vac and sealed it as best as I could with my hands for a few seconds, a siphon was created and then the vac tuned off and the flow ran nicely. Not really a special tool but better than sucking on the end of the hose to get the flow going.

1980 GL1100i
1976 CB360 Sold
1974 Norton Commando - Needs to be brought back to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Post imported post

If gasoline fumes had gotten to the motor in the vacuum, there could have been quite an explosion.

If you have an air compressor, this would be safer.
http://realfixesrealfast.com/realfix...as_Siphon.html

Classic Wing Club member
NakedGoldWings member
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Post imported post

Many years ago, I made a clutch nut removal tool.
I welded 4 pieces of square stock to a socket to fit the 4 square notches in the nut. It worked really well, but looked like poop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

drones76 wrote:
Quote:
Similar to Cousin Jacks....
I needed drain my gas tank on the 1100 without removing it and the bike was not running at the time. I put a gas can on the floor next to it, and ran a 1/4" hose through the gas cap opening on the tank into the can. Then simply place the shop-vac nozzle over the gas can hole that had the hose running in. Turned on the vac and sealed it as best as I could with my hands for a few seconds, a siphon was created and then the vac tuned off and the flow ran nicely. Not really a special tool but better than sucking on the end of the hose to get the flow going.
There used to be a contest where the competitors would blow up old vacuum cleaners by doing something similar to that. Very much not recommended.

Points were earned for height, length and duration of flame. Bonus points for altitude of the exploding machine.

Len
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Post imported post

My little hand pump gets its share of duty. With some parts from a pen (I love pens), a red tube from most any spray can lube, some electrical tapeand a section of battery drain hose, ..I'm cleaning carburetors in any driveway.

In a driveway, you do what you gotta do. I usually don't need high pressure air to clear a carb circuit as I use chemical and wire for that, but I do listen to the air coming from those circuits with this little set-up when I think I'm done. If the air "sounds" equalized in its pitch on a single stroke compared to the other three, then I know I'm good and clean. If the air sounds off-pitch to the others, then I know I'm not done cleaning that particular circuit. More of a testing tool than a cleaning tool. I haven't had a chance to use it for a while until lately. Gotta stay fresh, you know. Don't let it fool you though, that little bicycle hand-pump can pump-up the pressure and clear a circuit if need be... I've got a squeeze-clamp I can put on the tubing at the white section if I need pressure.

BikeMaine likes this.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Year: 1982 - All Three
Make: Aspy, Interstate, Naked
Model: Naked
Garage
Post imported post

Here is my shock compression tool as well. Great right up by the Gambler!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3547.JPG (408.6 KB, 108 views)

WillWilly
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Year: 1982 - All Three
Make: Aspy, Interstate, Naked
Model: Naked
Garage
Post imported post

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3491.JPG (286.0 KB, 71 views)

WillWilly
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Quote:
My little hand pump gets its share of duty...I'm cleaning carburetors in any driveway.

In a drive gotta stay fresh, you know. Don't let it fool you though, that little bicycle hand-pump can pump-up the pressure and clear a circuit if need be... I've got a squeeze-clamp I can put on the tubing at the white section if I need pressure.
Nice back flushing tools you have there.
I asked Steve several months ago if there was anyone doing such a thing to bike carbs on the bike, he knew no-one.

Only problem is if & when you do this back flushing, where does the contaminants go? Mine went on the walls, tho it sometimes looked like some weird artist visited.

Years ago I did this to my Honda 500-4 and Yam-XS1100, they were simple Mikuni but this Wings carbs are rather intricate. I've used low air pressure behind the cleaners to give a little extra PUSH to get it all out. Messy yah, but clean.

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

WAY way back in the late 70's I had a truck U-Bolt who's high-nuts were so stubborn I torched it in half in the middle of the U-Bend to get it off.
I saved those 2 pieces since they looked real interesting.
I had no real sturdy pry-bars,... yet. But I did have a 5 foot long railroad pry-bar... MAN-O-MAN does that come in handy... HEAVY!!! but handy.

Anyways...
After grinding a flat on the curved end and further grinding a recessed lip, then mildly tempering the tip, I had a rather handy NON-SLIP tool.

I still have those 2 pry-bars and use them several times a year. SUPER for prying but also great in pounding out inaccessible items where a hand cannot reach, like "steering head bearing races".

Only drawback I have is the Snap-on driver secretly took a picture of my bar and sent it in to be evaluated. In the picture you can see what tool they developed. NOT A CENT did I earn.

Curious,... how many of you have bought this Snap-on pry-bar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u bolt.JPG (42.5 KB, 113 views)
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Model: 82 gl 1100
Garage
anyone try this? ultrasonic carb cleaner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GBnprl.jpg (56.0 KB, 103 views)
BikeMaine likes this.

2 WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT BUT 3 RIGHTS MAKES A LEFT.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page